Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
HeroQuest Dungeon in Minecraft
Posted: 25 April 2024 01:28 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2022-08-05

I’ve been watching Dezziedc’s posts about converting Minecraft into a 3D world, and it inspired me to try something (far, far less involved but vaguely) similar. I’ve been working on a new Minecraft world for a sort of adventure map, creating new structures and hazards and such, and I decided to try to translate one of the HeroQuest maps into a dungeon.

I decided on Quest 11: Bastion of Chaos. I tried to do it about as faithfully to the book as I could, though with 1-1 blocks and spaces the rooms are pretty small and things had to be shifted a bit to account for extra spaces for walls. I fudged it a little bit by making some of the hallways into stairs so rooms can be on different levels and to account to a little bit of necessary overlap, but a few rooms ended up slightly larger. And while I couldn’t do secret doors, traps, searches, or monsters in quite the same way, I came up with a few solutions that seem to work alright.

Here’s the entrance (both during the day and at night).

Down the stairs into the dungeon, and the first room (with some “greenskins”).

In the empty room to the left, you can see my solution both for treasure searches and secret doors. I decided on sections of gravel in the walls that reveal either another room or a hidden chest in select places in the map.

You can see here how the hallways right outside turn into stairs to account for the height differences in the rooms.

And now, furniture! Fireplace, Armor Stand (never mind the torch and spawner), Alchemist’s Bench (with secret door beyond), Table (with secret treasure in the wall above), Bookshelf (with treasure), and center room with Table and Throne.

There’s even a version of Orc’s Bane in a chest under the table in the final room.

For pit traps, I went with floating gravel with a pressure plate that, when stepped on, drops the gravel and you with it down into a pit. But, since I could only do one space of those at a time, I made the double pit trap south of the main room into just a dark open pit. And since monsters can’t roam free in the hallways without possibly setting off the pressure plates, I opted to make the goblins in the hallway at the bottom of the map into a trap that shoots arrows at you once you come down the stairs.

And while the gargoyle encounter was beyond my abilities with Command Blocks, I did manage to put in a fun little surprise, but I’ll leave that as a surprise.

Overall, it’s not perfect and could be a lot more intricate if I had more redstone skills, but I think it works pretty well and mostly resembles the correct layout and map.

I’m definitely gonna try a few other ones later, but I’ll probably scale them up a bit and take a lot more liberties with them.

Posted: 25 April 2024 03:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2023-07-07

That’s pretty cool. I like the tight corridors and the differing levels (not just a flat board). When my kids were in their Minecraft phase (they play mostly SIms and Roblox now) I kept trying to tell them to build things lilke dungeons. They just rolled their eyes at me, lol.

Posted: 25 April 2024 03:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2023-06-05

Building the Emperor’s castle and Mentor’s tower must have been a lot of fun and added a cool dimension to your game. Using locator maps to find quest entrances is a clever touch that adds to the immersion.
Incorporating redstone for secret doors and traps is a great idea. Redstone can really bring your dungeon to life and make it more interactive.
If you’re interested in adding even more excitement to your dungeon, you might want to check out the “Raboy’s Zombie Apocalypse” mod from https://modbay.org/mods/655-raboys-zombie-apocalypse.html/. It adds a thrilling zombie survival element to the game, perfect for adding some extra challenge and excitement to your HeroQuest-inspired adventures!