Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
What do people around the world think of Americans? (not political)
Posted: 15 October 2012 10:10 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2001-04-15

That is funny but sadly it is too often true that too many of us Americans can’t answer simple questions. :(

Signature 

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

Posted: 16 October 2012 02:21 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2099
Joined  2003-06-18

@ Gelin_Carl That was really funny. My best was when the guy introduces himself as the Prime Minister of Australia and the guy he is talking to thanks him for his support in Iraq!

I’d like add something to my previous post where I mentioned that

Americans are generally incredibly ignorant of international affairs

... when compared to other Western Countries.

wg; If you were to ask most Africans, they would know far less than your average American. Probably less than half the people in South Africa know that the earth is round.

Signature 

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Posted: 16 October 2012 06:31 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-03-27

@lexxrobotech: I guess that you’re talking about people who never gone to school, uneducated by modern society. But, In “western” world, elementary school is mandatory and in “central/eastern” high school, too. Of course there are exceptions.

I would like you to give us, or just me, comparison of high school diploma 25-40 year old american and South-African.
I just know that some of my friends who went to USA to live, due there parents jobs, skipped few grads from the get go.

Signature 

Those who search for the stars on the sky, often cant see flowers on Earth
http://www.robotech-universe.com

Posted: 16 October 2012 07:39 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

My grandparents generation barley got thru till 7th grade. My parent generation got thru high school. My generation got thru high school and some tech school or college. The generation after me seems like they all are going to college. So this example of just my family so that we, Americans, are getting more education. As for knowing the world I am not so sure. You may ask why don’t Americans know how the world is, that is simple! Most of us, are only interaction outside the U.S. is on forums like this, where everyone is anonymous.

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2012 08:34 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  9016
Joined  2002-04-11

I dislike Americans because they no longer give me free Twinkies.  That’s pretty much it.

Signature 

Sie können mein Haar bürsten, ausziehen mich überall!

Posted: 16 October 2012 11:43 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

Send me you address and I will fix that problem. Diplomacy is action!! you like Ho-Hos too??

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2012 12:07 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2001-03-21

Well, if Romney wins the election I won’t like any American any more.  ^_^

It would be the end of the world, litterally.
Maybe them Mayan indians saw Romney in the future and therefore doomed 2012 to be end of mankind. :D

Seriously, it would be a complete disaster to the international community.

Here is South Koreans, quiete wise, thoughts on U.S.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2012/10/16/open-mic-seoul-us-pres-candidates.cnn?iref=allsearch

Posted: 16 October 2012 01:17 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

Here is the problem with that report, it is sponsored by CNN. They are known to side with the liberals of the country. You need to temper this report with something for FOX news or even the Blaze.com. When you are bombarded by the amount of liberal news coverage like we are in this country this report really does not impress me.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2012 03:19 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-06-18

@ _Dunpeal : It’s hard to generalise with South Africa because of its past – it’s very much two Countries rolled into one (A wealthy Western Country and a Third World Country).

High school’s here are divided into grades – you get functional grade (basic literacy), lower grade (normally the grade in poor schools/areas), standard grade and higher grade. Finishing High School is called a “Matriculation” and your matriculation is obviously worth more the higher the grade you were examined on.

@ azbat62 : Now Fox news is going to give you a real perspective as they tap into our phone calls! 
^_^  ^_^  ^_^  Seriously, Fox is a pile of poo. People should ignore it completely and force it out of business.

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2012 05:13 AM   [ # 25 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  9016
Joined  2002-04-11

Never had Ho-Hos. =/  Send me a box of Hydrox Cookies and I will ‘Love America’.  LOL before you go google, you cant get them anymore, regardless of what Nabisco produce.

Slightly more seriously.

Political stuff here needs to end.  You can’t judge character and society of another nations people by the select few idiots who run and/or ruin it.  I have a few good friends in many nations.  I can tell you what I think of them, but cant tell you what I think about their society as a whole.

The whole ‘What do other nations think of my Nation’ scenario is flawed as no-one can answer for their own nation, or know enough people of the other nation to make a reasonable comment.  Its all personal, individual thought.  If you have to use popular media and news articles to make the point, you are missing the whole point of the topic.

I know a guy from the Mid-West who is an arrogant, elitist, and some-what hostile.  I know someone from West Coast who is selfless, will stop what they are doing and move heaven and earth to help others in need.  I also know an Ex.pat US in Germany, who is a downbeat, drunk wife-beater.  three separate and unique examples of society.  I can’t mix those three, make a balanced generalization, and impress it on the whole population of the USA.

Signature 

Sie können mein Haar bürsten, ausziehen mich überall!

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:28 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-03-27

@ lexxrobotech: Thank you.
Let me see if I’ve got it right, two different high schools can offed two different levels of education, I’m referring to same type schools.
For you comment wealthy and third world, I kinda have to disagree.
I’m from third world country and some countries around mine, and people from this region with faculty diploma are highly valued all over the world. My professors are regular visiting lecturers on world renown universities, like Cambridge, Oxford, MIT, Barclay., Tokyo, Kyoto, Barcelona universities..

Sorry for going of topic, and barging, it wasn’t my intention, but its rarely that I’ve got chance for that.

@Murdock: I’m quite sure that azbat62 wanted our personal opinion, and wanted generalized, that’s why he asked for nation, and not for himself.
If not, I gave notice for my comment.
We all avoided stereotype generalization, like calling americans “gun crazy red-necks, who ... “, or referring to Englishmen as “ugly a$$, do-what-ever-told-by-usa”,or calling every Arabic terrorist ...

Signature 

Those who search for the stars on the sky, often cant see flowers on Earth
http://www.robotech-universe.com

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:45 AM   [ # 27 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-06-18

@_Dunpeal : Pretty much spot on with a highschool. A top school will offer standard and higher grade classes, where poorer, more rural schools will offer a lower to functional grade syllabus. A higher education and a well established university here will get you in almost anywhere. I have friends who were skipped grades when going to the US, but that doesnt mean that every South African would skip grades if they went to the US. Only the privilaged and brighter ones.

As far as the generalising of Americans, I answered what my impressions were (which are really good) and what South Africans I know thought of Americans.

like I said, overall, its a good view. American bashing is not popular here like it is some European Countries. Without getting politcal, the first time Americans got a bad rap here was with the war in Iraq. People here were confused as to how the American public could get hoodwinked by their own goverment. Nobody here thought that Americans were evil, just ignorant. The Iraq issue was the first time that America lost respect in SA’s eyes. Having said that (and to give further perspective), Australia and the UK lost far more respect in South Africa’s eyes over the Iraq issue than America.

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2012 07:58 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

As an American I never heard of America losing respect because of the war in Iraq. You see we were told the Saddam was setting his self as a Hitler style leader. He was killing a minority in his country, tried to annex his neighbor by force, and threatening Israel. We were also told that he was building weapons of mass destructing and was in league with Al Quada, which was responsible for the 9-11 attacks.

To all my general question was how the average person does see us Americans. Maybe I was a little vague in my statement but most of you got the idea though and stay away from the politcal bashing. Great job everyone!!

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 11:39 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-06-18

As an American I never heard of America losing respect because of the war in Iraq.

Thats just it…all the anti war in Iraq protests in the Western and Free Worlds, and it’s not picked up on by the average American.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 10:15 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

Main reason I haven’t heard about stuff is that it is not largely shown on American news coverage.

Signature 

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4