Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4
What do people around the world think of Americans? (not political)
Posted: 09 October 2012 04:01 PM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2001-04-15

I am curious to know what people around the world think of Amercians. I believe we, Amercians are much like any other people in the world. We are just wanting to live our lives in peace, go about living with our families and go about our business. I, as much as I can say about other Americans, tend to not to be bother by the thought of what other people are doing in their own countries. We tend to get caught in our own lives of getting by each day without any thought of malice towards any other person in other country. So I ask, What do the people of the world think about the people of America? Please don’t get political, I am asking about every day, average, middle class people. You know the farm, banker mechanic, policeman, every day joe.

Signature 

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

Posted: 10 October 2012 02:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2001-03-21

Mate, it is completely, utterly, unavoidable to get political in this thread. Haha! I mean, the simple questions is quiete not thought through.

I honestly suggest Admins delete this thread before it gets out of hand because it will. It is not as much a question of “if” as of “when”.

No disrespect mate but this is a straight out dumb thread in my personal opinion. :bonk:

Posted: 10 October 2012 08:43 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

I just that people will be civilized enough to state their belief of what their country thinks of Americans. It may very well go off the rails as it did in another forum I use. If it does, it does. If not, well i get some insight into the thought processes of the world.

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2012 12:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-03-21

You just don’t get it mate, do you? :D
This IS a political thread, intended or not.
And if it “went off the rails” in another forum where you created the same thread - why do you keep creating the same subject in this forum if you already know the most probable outcome?

Really mate, you’re fishing. :judge:
Reported.

Posted: 12 October 2012 07:32 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

Are doing the same thing that happend in the other forum. Debating the validity of the posting instead of just answering the question and moving on. SO “matey” what is you thoughts on Americans?

Signature 

Posted: 12 October 2012 06:38 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  844
Joined  2006-11-27

As far as I am concerned American people are just as ordinary as any other people around the world. You live every day, trying to get by the hard life. You live, work, educate yourselves just as any other people. And you watch the same stuff that media shows you just as any other country.

People are almost the same any where. It’s the governments that are different. And unfortunately they are using American people for their own goal.

Posted: 12 October 2012 10:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

This is the kind of answer I am looking for. Just an everyday person give me an answer

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 04:10 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-03-27

I was trying to avoid this topic, but who cares anymore.

I’ll try to give you my perspective of “average joe”, but you should know that all information I’ve got are from my friends and family who live/lived or visited USA and my interaction via internet.
And one notice, I visited other countries and continents, culture and religions, and I live in multicultural, multinational environment, so I have experience of meeting different kinds of people.

And right from the bat, I don’t like YOU. So here is what contributed to that:

1* American citizens are ignorant of what there government does, and they lack interest/ knowledge or just don’t care of rest of the world (Geo-political).
Maybe on of more known example happen in your show ” .. millioner…”, when participant answered that France is capital of Europe. I laughed when I saw that, then little later I got worried. Image of parents giving a “dump” kid a machine gun and saying “Go play in the park with other kids” popped in my head.
I know that its banal example, but participants for knowledge quizzes get tested before so they pass minimal requirements.
I’m sure that you can find tone of other examples where people lack common knowledge of the world.

2* Hypocrisy. You advertize your tolerance towards anything, but in reality you’re prejudgmental even more then rest of the world.
Discrimination on every corner is just common seeing in america. IE. my cousin got silent treatment at office because he befriended with chines accountant from other firm from same building. At first I though he is making staff up, until he wasn’t called to some kind of office celebration.
Canada has similar ethnic structure, but it’s polar opposite to USA.

Other two reasons are quite personal, so you don’t have to take as valid.

3* YOU are to cold, antisocial, unfriendly.
In my part of the world, we have “custom/ritual” that in the morning neighbor would come to cup of coffee, some chit-chat, maybe even stay for breakfast. And at evening, around 5, some more coffee and more chit-chat, vice-vars. It neighbor, not a best friend.
But, when my cousins come to USA due job offer they got, they called some of there neighbors to meet but got cold welcome. It took around 10 years for first “american” family to try this. It has been more then 15 years since my cousins got back, but they keep in touch with those neighbors and now have there own “ritual” and every 2 weeks they make conference video-call and chit-chat with a coffee.  ^_^

4* Calling yourself “american” as nation, unless you’re native who speaks with Wind spirit, you’re not american by nationality, just by citizenship. Your nationality can be Brit, Scotch, Nigerian, Egyptian…  Your country is around 250 years old, and yes, you think that you act as global police, but world sees you as bully who is making excuses to get its own way. Don’t get me wrong, your nor first nor the last country/empire who is/was superpower. Before you it was Germany, in 10-15 years China will take that role. But, your first one who don’t realize that. Which makes you look like “dumb” kid on playground with a gun.
I guess this last one was little out of tracks, and it can be grouped up with statement 1*.

I know that this is generalization, and that there are a lot of people are not like this, but sadly they are wast minority.

Signature 

Those who search for the stars on the sky, often cant see flowers on Earth
http://www.robotech-universe.com

Posted: 13 October 2012 04:43 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  6406
Joined  2002-06-22

Moderator watching…

Signature 

~Morning Marauders~ Strike hard… Strike true!

Mentos freshness team - bringing freshness to RT.com since 2002

Posted: 13 October 2012 08:02 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

I ask for the brutal truth and I got! Thank you _Dunpeal, thank you very much.

Signature 

Posted: 13 October 2012 09:37 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  844
Joined  2006-11-27

I would like to say this.

_Dunpeal said it well. A lot of Empires had fallen during the course of history. And if one wants to look for the times when that will happen one just has to look the condition of morality among people.

With fall of moral and rise of materialism in ancient empires (like Rome which whom USA shares a lot in common) so has the empires fallen.

I’ve heard of this story. It might be religious but it’s worth reading (it’s short):
“They say when the first money/gold coins were invented the devil/sheytan jumped over himself of joy. Why? Because now he had an ally.”

Posted: 14 October 2012 02:15 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2006-03-27

@Mod: He asked for personal opinion I answered, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t insult anyone.
Except, maybe, stereotyping that native Americans can speak with spirits.

@azbat: No problem. Sorry for “wall-of-text” but I can get carried away, just ask Edo.

@Edo: Weren’t first coins made in ancient China, in the time of Brahmanism, so there weren’t heaven nor hell, just nirvana? :rofl:  :rofl:
Or it’s ancient Egypt, but they didn’t have devil, just god who was ruler of dead and underworld, but by no means he was evil.

@On topic: If YOU would just work little more on your education, not taking for granted what your government tells you and start carrying for world around you world would start seeing you as any other country.

Here is one example, you being born and educated in USA think that world of technology we are living now is product of Tomas Edison, but for the rest of the world it’s Nicola Tesla. I greatly apologize if I made wrong assumption, if not, please go and read Tesla’s wiki page, it’s good starting point. Of course don’t take all info for granted because there is no guaranty that anything is correct.

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2012 09:51 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-04-15

Tesla was a great mind along with Edison. I never heard that Tesla was better thought of then Edison outside of the U.S.. I believe alot of Tesla’s work has been suppressed.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2012 01:42 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2006-03-27

Well, this is my point.
If your in this field of science you would know that we still cant understand large numbers of his experiments. And none of his work is suppressed, we are still using his patents, only difference is that we have better tool to exploit them. Hes first draft of your iPhone was made 100 before Jobs created one.
There are a lot examples, and one of them is internet.
But I won’t say that Edison wasn’t good, but he wast even close to Tesla’s mind.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:31 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2099
Joined  2003-06-18

Ok…

Ok. I’m a South African in his mid-30’s. I live in Durban (on the east coast of the Republic of South Africa). I spent nine months working in the US, and have travelled there many times on holiday. I also lived in London (In the UK) for 4 years. My brother and sister in law currently live in Texas – their firm sent them to the US on contract, although they are based in the UK.

I’m going to give good and bad as that seems to be what you want. Please remember that this is a generalisation, and cant be considered a statement on every American.

Bad : Americans or generally incredibly ignorant of international affairs and are mildly brain washed in thinking that their governments are always good and stand for truth, democracy and freedom.

Good: Americans are the most friendly hospitable people you can meet. When traveling in the US (besides major cities) you are unlikely to be made as welcome by complete strangers as you will be in the US. Americans go out of their way to make strangers feel welcome and help, or talk to anyone, without expecting anything in return.

I have found the most people that have spent time in the US are generally in favour of Americans, where people who have not lived in the US or spent time in the US are generally neutral to unimpressed with Americans.

I am quite pro American people. I have made many friends in the US, and am always grateful for the way I was treated in the US.

Signature 

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Posted: 15 October 2012 03:26 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-03-21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0RH0cYs4lw

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4