Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
New Robotech Merch Idea: Veritech Simulator!
Posted: 22 July 2018 02:22 PM  
Private
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2018-07-02

I had an idea to make a Robotech simulator where a player would take on the role and live the life of a Veritech pilot during the first Robotech war.
Maybe as Rick Hunter or perhaps as a pilot in his squadron. Maybe in one of the others if that’s not possible.

The VF-1s are the most iconic Veritech units, especially because of how they look.
It’s no small surprise that you see VF-1 Valkyries taking the place of the F-14 Tomcat in fan-made videos comparing DYRL to the iconic cult classic, Top Gun.

Like this one, which isn’t by me: https://youtu.be/cCmDa3Dp7l8

If you guys could make a Robotech VF-1 Valkyrie simulator app for PC, maybe put it on Steam or even in your own store, it would sell like hotcakes. Especially if you made it so that you were playing as one of the main characters, like Rick, Max or Ben.

In the intro, you could even use the opening title sequence of the Macross Saga, where Rick Hunter launches into the sky from the carrier deck aboard the SDF-1, goes through from Fighter into Battleoid mode and then kills a few enemy pods. It would tie in perfectly as it would set the scene and show the player exactly what they’re buying: A simulation allowing you to fly veritech fighters in the war against the Zentraedi.

Signature 

The Dragon who loves Robotech.

MAX DRAGON POWER!

Posted: 22 July 2018 09:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2018-07-17

I’m not a PR at Harmony Gold (and I hope that I will never be D:) so this is just my opinion.

A profitable varitech simulator or videogame will require 5 things:

1) Be exclusive to PC Master Race(R) - forget the consoles.
2) Be a full 20+ hours gameplay campaign - this isn’t Gradius.
3) Reject on full the micro transactions / season pass idiocy - this isn’t Battlefront 2.
4) Let you play as whoever you want, even an “unknown” pilot - c’mon, some D&D character creation freedom is nice you know…
5) Have Novalogic made the “simulation” portion of the game, Obsidian Entertainment the plot/character development arcs and Headstrong Games the Arcade-ish final shreds.

I didn’t include the VR thing because in this day and age a game of the scale I am presenting in this opinion/example doesn’t deserve to be prisoner of an artifact that still needs 15 years to be mainstream and even at that time it will never beat the clasic 40” coop experience. So MAKE IT VR FREE.

P.S: Also FORGET that 4K hype, a game that requires 400 GBs of Hard Drive (just for textures) is a corporate suicide.

Posted: 22 July 2018 11:08 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-07-02
Salamander 2 - 22 July 2018 09:43 PM

I’m not a PR at Harmony Gold (and I hope that I will never be D:) so this is just my opinion.

A profitable varitech simulator or videogame will require 5 things:

1) Be exclusive to PC Master Race(R) - forget the consoles.
2) Be a full 20+ hours gameplay campaign - this isn’t Gradius.
3) Reject on full the micro transactions / season pass idiocy - this isn’t Battlefront 2.
4) Let you play as whoever you want, even an “unknown” pilot - c’mon, some D&D character creation freedom is nice you know…
5) Have Novalogic made the “simulation” portion of the game, Obsidian Entertainment the plot/character development arcs and Headstrong Games the Arcade-ish final shreds.

I didn’t include the VR thing because in this day and age a game of the scale I am presenting in this opinion/example doesn’t deserve to be prisoner of an artifact that still needs 15 years to be mainstream and even at that time it will never beat the clasic 40” coop experience. So MAKE IT VR FREE.

P.S: Also FORGET that 4K hype, a game that requires 400 GBs of Hard Drive (just for textures) is a corporate suicide.

1) Understatement. PC and actual simulators (as in the full-motion kind) are exactly what simulator software is designed for.
2) I know, right? That’s why I wanted to have them adopt both the life and the role of a Veritech pilot. After all, the pilot has other things to do besides piloting - it’s variety.
3) This isn’t an MMO, it’s a simulator. It might have online co-op, but it’s not an online game.
4. Refer to number 2, but also, I agree on the freedom. Still though, it’d be hard to fit anything except Human or micronized Zentraedi into a Veritech.
5) I’m not sure about that. Other people make great simulators.
6) Yeah, I don’t think VR and Robotech go together.
7) It does need to look better than the old 1980s graphics, but yeah, 4K is too much.

Signature 

MAX DRAGON POWER!

Posted: 27 July 2018 11:08 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2010-04-19

Well, the VOXP game came out several years ago and there are even English versions available.

https://youtu.be/OoMQwPIS23g

And the PS3 30th anniversary game came out 5 years ago.

https://youtu.be/r3gTXzsDRBg

Signature 

I am a Macross purist but I am equally a huge fan of Robotech.“Maybe it’s some kind of battle armor”

Posted: 28 July 2018 06:40 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-07-02
Operator7G - 27 July 2018 11:08 AM

Well, the VOXP game came out several years ago and there are even English versions available.

https://youtu.be/OoMQwPIS23g

And the PS3 30th anniversary game came out 5 years ago.

https://youtu.be/r3gTXzsDRBg

I’m not talking about those. I want a computer software simulator, enabling the player to take on the role of a Veritech pilot aboard the SDF-1, working through a wide variety of missions and even their daily lives. I want people to feel like they lived it.

There was a game a while back out of Japan called “Air Force Delta: Blue Wing Knights” (“Deadly Skies III” in Europe and “Air Force Delta Strike” here in the US) for the PS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAg3oYaI2w

That’s kinda what I want, as it put each player through their paces, fighting off the enemy both planetside and (late-game) in space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-8kb_k4kp8

The fighters were non-transformable Earth jets, and it didn’t have the same story aspect that Robotech gives, showing the story of each pilot along with the SDF-1, but it does get the air combat portion right, along with the appropriate quality.

So if someone from HG can make a Robotech game for the PC that’s like this one in terms of quality and combat, but also has the transformable fighters, story and juicy out-of-combat details that Robotech had, we’d be golden.

Signature 

MAX DRAGON POWER!

Posted: 09 July 2023 01:33 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-07-02

Opening this back up again since I’m back after quite a hiatus.

Signature 

MAX DRAGON POWER!