Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3
3 of 3
Will we ever see more Robotech?
Posted: 02 December 2017 04:46 PM   [ # 31 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2003-01-16

Tatsunoko can just add $15 million to the licensing fee…

Posted: 03 December 2017 01:54 PM   [ # 32 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1980
Joined  2001-01-30

They were so insistent that the fans needed to pay $500,000 within an arbitrary 35 days for them to continue Robotech. Harmony Gold doesn’t even need the money.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/?ref=kicktraq

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 06 March 2018 09:16 PM   [ # 33 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30
cyclone5 - 18 October 2017 06:35 AM

Not worried in the slightest. Most likely scenario is that the license will be negotiated to extend the term for another 7 years.

Mav, that seems wildly optimistic given the immense bad blood between the two companies following the recent legal cases (instigated entirely by Harmony Gold).

It seems unlikely that Tatsunoko would happily renew their licence with a company who dragged them through the courts, causing a $15 million dollar counterclaim (which Tatsunoko lost). To rub salt in the wound, Tatsunoko even had to to pay Harmony Gold’s legal fees.

At this point the relationship between Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko is utterly poisoned. The only ‘win’ that Tatsunoko achieved was the court ruling that the licence does indeed expire in 2021. I’m sure they are counting down the days…

Those remain speculation. Tatsunoko now is owned by Nippon TV and generally the new stakeholder wanted to make all of its newly acquired properties lock stock and barrel properly accounted, which also included international rights over SDF Macross, SDC Southern Cross and GC Mospeada.

If Tatsunoko found it is expedient to continue renewing rights over SDF Macross / SDC Southern Cross / GC Mospeada with HG, it will continue doing so.

So right now at most it is 50-50 percentage on Tatsunoko renewing the deal with HG or let it expired. My bet, it will be renewed and business goes on as usual.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 18 July 2018 09:28 AM   [ # 34 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2001-06-14

HG has a lot of places to go with Robotech..

They keep looking for new stuff, but how many of us would be happy with going back and finishing what was started.

Redoing Sentinels.. I would love to see them just launch off with that… and most the writing is done..  Heck they can borrow my Robotech Art Book 3 it gives a good guideline.. (I want it back though)

I would love to see them start there.. and just go through and pickup and finish what they have started.. It’s like we get the first spark and bam.. Like Shadow Chronicles.. Off to a great start.. lots of sales.. lots of people excited.. reviews were good.. it won awards.. and then poof nothing.

I know it would be a big investment.. but I think you could get a streaming network or something on board.

I am trying to figure out if there is a reason they don’t want to have a success..

Don’t get me wrong I love HG.. I am glad they made Robotech.. and over all I think they did good in that area, but it’s almost like they are scared to take any type of chance on anything.. They are just waiting for the LA to swoop in and sweep them off their feet… they have so much more to offer.

Posted: 28 July 2018 06:34 AM   [ # 35 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-02-24
cyclone5 - 22 July 2017 08:28 AM

When Carl Macek merged Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada, he did more than just stitch three unrelated anime series together. By constructing an unseen backstory (Zor’s discovery of the flower of life, the Masters’ conquest of the Invid and creation of Protoculture) he applied western sci-fi storytelling (in the vein of Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke) to Japanese animation and created something unique and greater than the sum of its parts.

This marrying of eastern and western storytelling combined with evocative Japanese animation is what made Robotech a success and why it can only survive as animation.

I think you gave carl too much credit! I think carl owes the original creators of each part of the sum their dues! Actually what makes robotech great NOT because of carl but because the very originals are inherently good in its own right. The base of robotech is the macross saga and all the lexicons like protoculture, valkyrie, vf-1s, vf-1j, zentraedi, meltrandi, gerwalk, is taken from it, and flowers of life from the cavalry of the southern cross, and invid and reflex point from mospeada; carl didn’t invent a new thing because the story arc is there already and carl just happened to join the dots and that’s all! Even if you watch the originals by itself, independent of the others, the story is great already and actually you can watch each segment of robotech separately and in random order without disrupting the flow of the story!

Signature 

A wise man speaks because he has something worthwhile to speak of, a fool speaks because he needs to

Posted: 29 July 2018 10:24 PM   [ # 36 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  408
Joined  2006-02-27

A lot of interesting points of view here and one of the big reasons I’m back haunting the forums. Even with all this time passed and more developed theories on what may happen, I still find myself nervous about what they may do or may not do. It’s ridiculous I know but there it is. I want to see what comes next in this story but I wasn’t all that impressed with some of the ideas that I saw back when the last studio had the license for the RLAM. Give me a cartoon, give me a game, give me a movie, give me something. But I’m scared lol!

Signature 

Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Posted: 30 July 2018 01:26 PM   [ # 37 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43404
Joined  2001-02-16

Frankly, until the legal issues in Japan are resolved, and or the Robotech: LAM project ever moves out of ‘development hell’ (personally I hope it finally dies). it’s doubtful that we’ll see any new animation.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 24 September 2019 11:40 PM   [ # 38 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-19

With the announcement of HG’s renewal of the Macross, Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada licenses, what does this mean for Robotech: Shadow Rising film?

Signature 

THAT’S GOTTA HURT!

Posted: 25 September 2019 01:33 AM   [ # 39 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

We still have to see what happens with the Robotech LAM project. It has been the ‘800 Lb. Gorilla’ that’s dogged us for the last 12 years.

Signature 

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 25 September 2019 05:17 PM   [ # 40 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2002-07-12
ZorRaven - 24 September 2019 11:40 PM

With the announcement of HG’s renewal of the Macross, Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada licenses, what does this mean for Robotech: Shadow Rising film?

Nothing, IMO. I hate to be negative, but after all this time, I feel that Shadow Rising is pretty much where past still-born productions like Robotech 3000 and Robotech Academy went to quietly die.

Signature 

“Hello, my name is Human…”

Posted: 29 September 2019 12:08 PM   [ # 41 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-09-29

If it’s any consolation, the Hensons tried for years to do a Dark Crystal sequel and it’s only now we finally got the new series.

Posted: 07 October 2019 06:32 AM   [ # 42 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-19
Megalord1 - 25 September 2019 01:33 AM

We still have to see what happens with the Robotech LAM project. It has been the ‘800 Lb. Gorilla’ that’s dogged us for the last 12 years.

For me (and its just me), I was initially excited when it was first announced.  Now, I think that they (HG) should focus exclusively on the animation.  All that’s happening is the stalling of Robotech, itself.

Signature 

THAT’S GOTTA HURT!

Posted: 08 October 2019 02:35 AM   [ # 43 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16
ZorRaven - 07 October 2019 06:32 AM
Megalord1 - 25 September 2019 01:33 AM

For me (and its just me), I was initially excited when it was first announced.  Now, I think that they (HG) should focus exclusively on the animation.  All that’s happening is the stalling of Robotech, itself.

Easier said then done. Since we’ve heard piratically nothing in that regard for several years.

Signature 

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 27 December 2021 09:25 PM   [ # 44 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2021-08-25

a stand-alone feature made primarily using existing 1980s footage