Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Another continuity question
Posted: 23 July 2008 07:40 AM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2001-02-16

Has anyone definitively stated WHEN Rick & Lisa got married?  I know in Mikimoto’s original plans Rick and Lisa get married immediately after the series and have a baby girl (Miku? I think).  The Sentinels have them getting married eieher 5 or 9 years after the series ends the night before the launch.  Does the Senitinels version still stick?  I hope not.  9 years seems rediculous to me.  I could see the 5, MAYBE, but even that seems a little too long.  The Wildstorm Robotech Comics (#6) show Rick proposing to Lisa in 2015.  A flashback to #5 shows Rick and Lisa together in 2017 and she’s wearing a big diamond.  Any thoughts on this?  Were we given a definatve date for their marriage?

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:19 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

After re-reading Tommy Yun’s post about continuiy questions again, I guess I’m looking for ANY and all continuity regarding their wedding. 

I guess what I’m really asking is the Sentinels definitive or not?  (I hope not - not a fan of the novels.)

Posted: 23 July 2008 11:29 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2001-02-26

You have definite MAD research skills and probably more on top of this subject than any other. I have no clue. However, to throw in another “wrench” to your question I did check out RT.com’s Infopedia, the Official Canon Timeline, and it says the official launch of the SDF-3 occurred in December, 2022.

So, if we followed the Sentinel storyline, it means that Rick & Lisa didn’t marry until then. That’s like 8 years after the end of the first RT war?! That’s a long time, baby. Lisa must have been REALLY patient.

Signature 

“My dad was right. I shoulda’ve been a CPA.”- Minmei’s Manager"The heck with the calories, I think I’ll have another one.” -Dana Sterling

PROTO COLA-Choice Of The Robotech Generation

Robotech Marine Corps

MIG: Zentraedi Trooper 008

Posted: 23 July 2008 03:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

“Lisa must have been REALLY patient.”

That’s my problem.  There’s no way I could see them waiting.  There’s war and death all around and they were both almost killed several times over.  During wartime people don’t postpone marriages.  I could see Lisa having some insecurities about Rick and Minmei, and perhaps they would persist a little bit, but I think she’d get over it.  Rick wouldn’t risk loosing her over that again.

One of the reasons I hated the novels is because of the way they portrayed Lisa.  She was sort of soul less, hard and cold at times - still.  I think that was worked out of her by the end of the first war.  The ice queen had no reason to remain so.

Posted: 23 July 2008 04:34 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2008-02-29

Can I just butt in here and say that I never found Lisa to be an “ice queen”? I couldn’t really understand where the characters were getting that from; it seemed more to me like a double standard applied to military women, than any rational evaluation of Lisa’s character.

She was the human character I liked the most: tough, powerful, knows what to say and to call people on their stuff.

Signature 

http://incisivis.livejournal.com

Perpetually disgruntled Exedore fan, enjoys Robotech apocrypha and complaining

Posted: 23 July 2008 05:41 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

I never saw it, either.  She was simply dedicated to her career and kind of insecure outside of it.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 23 July 2008 07:38 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  1121
Joined  2007-12-18

I agree with Jeanie and Incisivis. Lisa’s not an “ice queen”; it’s not like she hated men or her co-workers. But the way in which Riber was lost to her made a strong impression on her because he was her first real love, and her feelings for him were strong. The thought of opening up to another and risking another rejection or (unintentional) abandonment probably scares the holy hell out of her.

I speculate that Lisa feels safe and secure in her job because it allows her to hide to a degree among all the regulations, boundaries, and the military demeanor, and not have to face the fear that would inevitably come with the social function of dating. In other words, the trappings of her career provide an acceptable excuse for her.

Signature 

L1s4 H4y3s pwns j00 unl33t n00bs.—Lisa Hayes Fan Club (aka L.I.S.A.)“Lynn Kyle: Keepin’ It In The Family Since 1985.”—K.I.S.S.“Earth: Come for the war, stay for the sex!”

Khyron’s still hot.—K.I.L.L.

Posted: 23 July 2008 08:59 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

This conversation is getting waaaay off track.

Moongirl - I agree with you 100%.  I don’t think Lisa was an Ice Queen, but in MY opinion the novels made her out to be so, and there were hints in the series that others perceived her to be.  I guess I didn’t make that clear.  She was work obsessed, yes - sacrificing her hopes for personal happiness and all that,  but the BOOKS made her off to be kind of cold and driven, even putting career ahead of her relationship with Rick.  She could have lost him (almost did) when she decided to join the Sentinels - (according to the books.

Back to my original point - I DON’T THINK THEY WOULD HAVE WAITED 8 YEARS TO GETT MARRIED. :judge:

Posted: 24 July 2008 11:17 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2007-12-16

I think they got married after so many years because of the problems they had to face till then.

Also they could wanted to combine this special moment with the other great moment of their life.The ending of their efforts to built SDF-3,and the begining of the crucial mission to Tirol.

Posted: 24 July 2008 04:35 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

I don’t think they would have waited 8 days.  They’d've given the Sterlings a run for the Wedding Speed Record.

Signature 

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 24 July 2008 04:56 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2008-02-29

I’m glad others can see a reason for Lisa being interpreted as standoffish. Me, I just wandered around in bewilderment wondering how some would see Lisa as a stuffed shirt. I found her warm and wise, and not afraid to tell people when they were being idiots.

I have no doubt she felt a lot for Reiber’s death, but that seemed to be the source of her more…mushy moments (not merely soft, because staying in that office to die was just crazy) rather than any alleged coldness.

As to their marriage, well, there are reasons to delay it as in the EU, and reasons to speed it up, as in “right after the TV show”.

I suppose nine years is too long even if you’re takin the more realistic/less idealistic approach, but I can see justification for waiting.

After the on-again, off-again nature of their relationship, maybe Lisa was at first hesitant, not willing to bind things up with legal red tape when Rick might stray again. (a ring wouldn’t be an ironclad guarantee of Rick from straying, after all)

And marriage is a big commitment, so they might need to date a while, get to know each other without Rick being fickle or war looming right this second. But, if we’re talking Expanded Universe again, there was a lot of strife going on after the Macross segment ended.

On the other hand, Robotech is an idealized story, and in stories like that, little trouble usually comes from being married right off the bat, no matter what their relationship was like before (look at Max and Miriya!).

Signature 

http://incisivis.livejournal.com

Perpetually disgruntled Exedore fan, enjoys Robotech apocrypha and complaining

Posted: 24 July 2008 05:24 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

“Also they could wanted to combine this special moment with the other great moment of their life.The ending of their efforts to built SDF-3,and the begining of the crucial mission to Tirol.”

Sorry 2012Rick - I’m gonna give you grief…..Nothing says I love you like waiting 9 years (or 8) to get married on a Sattelite and leaving the next morning on a mission.  :p

If any couple deserves a great honeymoon it’s these two!  As a woman, military or not, I couldn’t do the pre-launch wedding.  So unromantic and anti-climactic in a way, I think.

Jeanie, I’m more with you on this one, although I think Lisa might need a lot of reassurance from Rick that his Minmei days are OVER!  I think he’d be the one to want to get married right away.

Posted: 25 July 2008 12:23 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

You are correct.  He’d be all “lets get married… umm…. yesterday!”  She’d certainly have reason to hold off, given the Minmei situation.  I don’t think Minmei would mess with a married man (yet another reason to hate the novels :x ) but Lisa don’t know that! 

But nearly a decade?!  @_@

Signature