Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
PS3 & Wii
Posted: 16 November 2006 08:07 PM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2001-01-30

OMFG! PS3 comes out in couple of hours and Wii 2 days who’s going to get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  @_@  @_@  @_@

Signature 

GOD SAVE AMERICA!

Posted: 17 November 2006 04:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  2003-02-13

The PS3 is way overpriced to be a must buy. Lets not forget that the console is having trouble playing older games, at last count somewhere around 200.

The Wii on the other hand might make a good gift considering that it cost’s around $250.00, plus the fact that you can download and play any game from Nintendo’s catalog…not bad.

In the long run, it comes down to price and the fun factor. Unfortunately, despite all the hype, the PS3 is going to have the same graphics and game experience as the X-Box 360. Only the die-hard fan-boys are going to rush out and get Sony’s new toy despite the price-tag. Anyway…goodluck and enjoy your new console, whatever it is.

Signature 

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Posted: 17 November 2006 11:07 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2004-09-09

Did u guys know that sony’s actually losing money on the PS3. If they wanted to make a profit on the systems, the console would actually be over $200 more. That’s why the games are so expensive. The wholesale price is actually about $30, but they sell them for $60, that’s where the money’s made.
:judge:  :judge:  :judge:

Signature 

Don’t steal, the government hates competition.

http://www.myspace.com/wijangco

http://www.r34racer01.deviantart.com

Posted: 20 November 2006 02:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

I think NNintendo is the ONLY profitable game company right now.  Xbox, xbox 360, and most definately the Ps3 all cost more then they were sold for.  Microsoft seems to break even on the software side, but Sony is hoping to get Bluray accepted and that’s where they hope to make their money back.

As for me, I got my Wii and I love it.  Just blew through Rayman Raving Rabids and it is fun, more of a party game though…

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 20 November 2006 03:24 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1664
Joined  2001-02-17

Something I’ve learend over the last few year… never buy a system at launch.  Lately it seems every new system is having a problem that requires some sort of repair or update. 

I remember my PS2, which I bought about 2 months after its launch.  A couple of years later, the thing crapped out.  My boss acutally had a PS2 collecting dust since he got married and had a kid, so he just gave it to me.  This was a launch system, too and it crapped about 4 months later.  I finally got one of those slim PS2’s that came out like 3 years later and it works like a charm.

And didn’t X-Box 360’s crap out when they first came out?  I’m waiting a year on any new system. 

Well maybe not the Wii, Nintendo’s got an extremely good track record.  Not since the days where I had to blow on every one of my old school Nintendo cartridges have I encountered a problem with their systems.

Signature 

“Have you ever smoked Protoculture?”

Get Robotech The Movie on DVD!
http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1243421&forumid=23

Posted: 21 November 2006 01:28 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1664
Joined  2001-02-17

Okay, I"ll eat my words.  I just read that Wii is having some firmware issues while the PS3’s are relatively fine.

I did play the PS3 at a store Kiosk today, it was the NBA game. I’m not too big on sports games, but this was pretty good.  Of course my nose was 2 inches away from the HDTV LCD screen they had, so it looked super-nice.

While having only played the Xbox 360 that a little bit, I was left with the impression there wasn’t that much of a difference between the two.

Someone did point out to me that after all of the accessories you need for a 360, you’ll end up paying about $500, just $100 less than PS3’s retail.  Add the HD-DVD player and it’ll be $700, $100 more than the PS3 that can play Blu-Ray.

What to do… what to do….

Signature 

“Have you ever smoked Protoculture?”

Get Robotech The Movie on DVD!
http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1243421&forumid=23

Posted: 21 November 2006 09:19 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  213
Joined  2005-12-09

I guess that the console wars are just heating up because of the pesky price tags, and Sony and Microsoft’s…well a little overbounding in prices, isn’t it? Not to mention of all the fights and muggings in the wake of the first day of the PS3’s purchase. YIKES! Fights and muggings…not a good way to shop for one in this time and not a very good idea…

I might get the Nintendo Wii, because I tried it in school today, and it rocks! And also because of it’s playability with the Gamecube games I wanna get. Sure its a little pricey in edges around $249 but it’s three times cheaper than the X360(though I might get that too) and PS3. So I guess buying the Wii(gotta find part time work to earn it, though) during this time around is good and worth every penny to us gamers in general.

Signature 

“Victory does not come without paying the ultimate price.”

-anonymous, U.S. Marine Corps

Posted: 22 November 2006 04:40 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2005-05-23

I will offcourse buy Wii from Nintendo. It is moore cheaper than both 360 and PS3. +Zelda comes to Wii and it looks great!

Signature 

A tru fan of Roy Fokker!

What you can see, you can kill!

Posted: 22 November 2006 02:58 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1171
Joined  2005-06-06

Something I’ve learend over the last few year… never buy a system at launch. Lately it seems every new system is having a problem that requires some sort of repair or update.

Unlike a multimillion dollar fighter jet which goes through years of testing before being fielded the game companies are just trying to make a profit ASAP on the R&D costs of making a new system. The ones who buy a system at launch pay a high price and for what? Dysfunctional units?

I got my PS2 9 months after launch and its worked fine, and that’s with it traveling with me (via TMO) to four continents.

Signature 

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.  But, the Marines don’t have that problem.

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Check out my online Robotech game (My listed fan page).

Posted: 23 November 2006 10:50 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1501
Joined  2003-02-26

I updated my Wii’s firmware and haven’t had any issues with it.  In fact, it seems to work even better.  Where’d you hear this?

Signature 

72nd Airwing, Dragon Squadron
Cpl. Thomas “Fox” Leingod
Dragon 7

Maverick Hunter of The Dark Fin and owner of The Neon Tetra of Mass Confusion and Illusion
The Human Distraction
Mister Stress Out

AIM: zeroreploid456
YIM: zero_reploid456

Posted: 23 November 2006 07:52 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

I updated my Wii to with out incident, I imagine that the only people who will have trouble are those with out a wifi access point.  It seems that the Wii does not have an ethernet port.  (I can’t find one on it)

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 23 November 2006 11:28 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1501
Joined  2003-02-26

For those who don’t have a wi-fi router or access point, you can purchase either the LAN Adapter (which plugs in to one of the available USB ports) or use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector.

Signature 

72nd Airwing, Dragon Squadron
Cpl. Thomas “Fox” Leingod
Dragon 7

Maverick Hunter of The Dark Fin and owner of The Neon Tetra of Mass Confusion and Illusion
The Human Distraction
Mister Stress Out

AIM: zeroreploid456
YIM: zero_reploid456

Posted: 24 November 2006 01:07 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1799
Joined  2001-02-16

Most, if not all game consoles aren’t turning a profit on the actual console. The reason is because of the money for the R&D, and initial production of the units. For every system. They are usually in the hole before release, so when they do those figures, they appear not to be pulling a profit. So, to say that Xbox and PS3 aren’t turning a profit doesn’t say anything at all. In fact, I can tell you now, the Wii isn’t making money yet either.

Unfortunately, despite all the hype, the PS3 is going to have the same graphics and game experience as the X-Box 360. Only the die-hard fan-boys are going to rush out and get Sony’s new toy despite the price-tag.

Yep, that means High Def. availability on all new games, which is much better than anything else out. As far as game experience, that would probably be true if you just buy the same games that are on both systems. Of course you’re gonna get the same gaming experience. And, as I am a fanboy of none, I can tell you that even for the price tag, the PS3 is probably within a proper price range. Reason being the Blue Ray player. Those are going for $1000 right now, so to be able to get that experience, and a great gaming console, I’ll be getting that. I did get a 360, and that system is a good system as well. It basically comes down to what you can afford and your gaming preferences though.

Zelda looks to be a good game, I may go to my coworkers house to try that out. He got the Wii for his little boy, and he said that it’s alright. I haven’t heard any problems for any of the systems, so people wishing for problems from a certain system or console is just “fanboyism”. I’m glad they all got out with very little, to no issues. Long live the gaming industry. ^_^

Signature 

“Say what you mean, Mean what you say, Life is a diceroll everyday”- Lyrics by Jasonc"Don’t worry, he’s European, he doesn’t care”“I’ll hava a Samuel Jackson!”
-King of Summer, 2005- Ruling with a Newcastle in my fist!!!

Posted: 25 November 2006 02:39 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  572
Joined  2001-07-14

The only difference with the PS3 is that they added everything up and concluded that they were losing money before they even calculated the price for controllers, boxes, wires, shipping, and advertisement. So you can imagine.

Signature 

Exaggeration makes the world go round.

Posted: 25 November 2006 05:29 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1443
Joined  2001-01-30

Darkwater my PS2 I got on the first day crapped out too it only plays dvd movies can’t play games anymore ;_;

Signature 

GOD SAVE AMERICA!

Posted: 27 November 2006 03:27 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1799
Joined  2001-02-16

MBmoses, do you have a link that supports that? I haven’t heard that, but in anycase, with the Blueray player being the price it is, and the Cel processor, the boxes are coming out to around $700-$900 per unit. Which is what I expect, being the blue ray players are running $1000 on up. It is said they won’t turn a profit for the console for at least a year or 2.

That’s nothing new though. They had that problem with both systems before, when the technology they were putting out were new. With the Blueray players being expensive to produce, until the hardware they are stuffing those badboys becomes more in supply, the boxes won’t make sony their money. But, overall, with game titles, that is where Sony is busting loose on profit. I can’t find games out fast enough. Definitely a very good sign for Sony.

As for the Wii, it looks to be doing well in it’s initial release. The Zelda game seems to be pretty fun, from what I’ve played of it, but the other games haven’t done much for me. I’m hoping they put out more good games other than Zelda over the next year. So far, that seems to be the only good one. ^_^

Signature 

“Say what you mean, Mean what you say, Life is a diceroll everyday”- Lyrics by Jasonc"Don’t worry, he’s European, he doesn’t care”“I’ll hava a Samuel Jackson!”
-King of Summer, 2005- Ruling with a Newcastle in my fist!!!

1 2 > 
1 of 2