Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
“To the Stars” Scene Question
Posted: 07 June 2006 11:26 PM  
Private
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-06-07

I have been a long~ Robotech fan, probably when it first appeared on US television. Mind you I am 19 years old since March and I may be hallucinating this but…

In the John McKinney Novelization, toward the end when Khyron’s ship is about to ram into the SDF-1 in a suicidal descent. McKinney adds in a scene/segment of Gloval hugging his bridge crew (minus Lisa) into his arms.

My Question is, I remember watching this scene in the broadcast. I remember seeing this on television with full animation. But! When I watched my dvd I just the crew gripping their stations, a repeat animation of what had happened minutes prior. I even downloaded one version of the “new” remastered episodes and it wasn’t there.

Am I wrong in thinking it was animated? Did the original Macross storyline have that scene? Or was I just imagining watching that segment of endearment?

Signature 

“... Hunter and Hayes step into each other’s arms, liplock and these big, bad hombres begin to freak! I mean… ‘magine if Lisa’s microcamera had been set up to show X-rated movies? The war woulda been over on the spot!”

Posted: 07 June 2006 11:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2001-02-16

That scene never happened in the animation.  But, it was depicted as such in the Comico comics adaptation.

Signature 

Bringing a friendly voice to Robotech.com since 2001.
THE founding member of Minmei Forever (MF) (est. June 12, 2006)
Robotech.com record holder for having the most locked threads.
Member of the 242nd - Robotech’s Peoples’ Party

Posted: 07 June 2006 11:51 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2006-06-07

Understood. I figured as much considering… Would’ve been cool to see it animated though.

Signature 

“... Hunter and Hayes step into each other’s arms, liplock and these big, bad hombres begin to freak! I mean… ‘magine if Lisa’s microcamera had been set up to show X-rated movies? The war woulda been over on the spot!”

Posted: 08 June 2006 01:39 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2987
Joined  2002-12-07

Then we would’ve known Lisa survived.
In the televised version we don’t know who, if ANY, survived until Lisa appeared before Rick. smile

Signature 

Theres no denying it. Sammie & Annie are Mother & Daughter
Messiah of D.o.M.a.D. (Disciples of the Mother and Daughter = Sammie & Annie).
Whamhammer is my chief Disciple.

Posted: 08 June 2006 03:43 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  509
Joined  2005-09-17

As wrecks123 adecuately put the scene doesn’t exist in any of the shows (either Robotech, nor Macross). Our mind sometimes deceive us, cause I remember Gloval alive and is not so.
By the way if u are 19 you were born after robotech 2 AR smile cause it was first broadcasted in 85.

Signature 

85er
GLOVAL IS ALIVE.
Scott Who?

Posted: 08 June 2006 08:59 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2006-06-07

Interesting.

As for the nineteen thing, -shrugs- I figured I was in the second swoop of fans. Heh. Oh well. Thanks for the info, people.

Signature 

Posted: 11 June 2006 07:50 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2002-08-07

Actually wrecks123 is wrong.  The scene was animated for the preview for Robotech: The Sentinels. If you own the VHS tape (not sure about the DVD since I don’t own that) it appears right before the footage used for the Sentinels promo ad.

So if you’ve seen that Lucifer Hisaki that is how you saw it.

Posted: 11 June 2006 07:53 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  509
Joined  2005-09-17

Do you still have that video?

Signature 

85er
GLOVAL IS ALIVE.
Scott Who?

Posted: 15 June 2006 08:49 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2002-08-07

Yes I do.  In fact I had to go verify the info before I typed my response.

Posted: 15 June 2006 09:19 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2001-02-16

I’ll have to look that up.  I’ll have to dig up that old VHS tape…and then dig up an old VCR.

Signature 

Bringing a friendly voice to Robotech.com since 2001.
THE founding member of Minmei Forever (MF) (est. June 12, 2006)
Robotech.com record holder for having the most locked threads.
Member of the 242nd - Robotech’s Peoples’ Party

Posted: 15 June 2006 10:20 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2001-02-26

I’ve seen an original screening of Sentinels back in 1986 (maybe 87?) when Macek and Snegoff presented it at the Star Trek/Sci-fi Con at the Disneyland Hotel. I did not see this footage.

I owned the first VHS release of the Sentinels from Palladium for many years and did not notice this additional footage. I also have the VHS Streamline release and still no additional footage. It was only in the novel and also the Comico comic ending.

Its funny how the brain plays tricks. :judge:

Signature 

“My dad was right. I shoulda’ve been a CPA.”- Minmei’s Manager"The heck with the calories, I think I’ll have another one.” -Dana Sterling

PROTO COLA-Choice Of The Robotech Generation

Robotech Marine Corps

MIG: Zentraedi Trooper 008

Posted: 16 June 2006 12:32 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2002-08-07

Ok, let me repeat this.  On the tape.  After the cartoon is finished is a promo for the Sentinels that aired at a Toy Fair (i believe).  Prior to the Sentinels Logo coming on the screen they have a repeat of the last few moments of “to the stars”. The scene comes on (as I said) right before the logo.

The tape is the Streamline version (fyi).

Posted: 16 June 2006 01:54 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2001-02-15

I fast-forwarded through the tape to the end credits, watched the credits and waited.  There was no Sentinels promo afterwards, no Sentinels Logo, no additional footage, nothing.  I rewound to be beginning of the tape, watched everything up to the opening credits of the movie.  The only promo I saw was for Orion’s “Japanese animation” releases - stuff like Lupin, Akira, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, 3x3 Eyes, etc.  There was brief footage (as in a couple seconds of a running Hellcat) for the Sentinels, but nothing that would constitute a full promo.  And that was it before the opening credits began to roll.

I’m with Qbare; I think you’re inserting something where it’s really not.

Signature 

All this advanced technology and they can’t put in an elevator?!

Posted: 16 June 2006 03:22 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2001-02-15

The Sentinels promo video appears only at the end of the non-Orion version of the Streamline Pictures Sentinels tape—the one with the classic Sentinels REF cast, guns in hands, with an SDF-4/Izumo carrier in the background unloading Alphas, on the front, and NOT the later one with the same group shot in front of an explosion with the shot of them running into battle at the bottom. This promo reel also appears on the Sentinels DVD that came in the Legacy Collection Vol. 3 box set.

I’ve seen this Toy Fair promo—both on the Streamline tape AND on the Sentinels DVD—and it DOES NOT have the aforementioned shot of Gloval hugging the crew as they go to their fates. As others have said already, this footage did not appear in the original Macross TV series (these characters did not die in Macross), and no new animation featuring the original version of the Macross cast was ever produced for Robotech. The last thing you see before the Sentinels logo is, IIRC, Rick hugging Lisa, with the whole “to the stars and beyond!” proclamation (a natural setup for the Sentinels concept).

Memory’s a tricky thing sometimes, as I well know, but sorry, guys—you’re plugging something from the Comico adaptations into memories of the TV series. That’s what it’s gotta be.

Signature 

ROBOBLOG III: THE ODYSSEY - Robotech News, Reviews, & Commentary:  http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/
EMISSARIES: A ROBOTECH FANZINE: http://www.emissaries.info/
MY PLACE @ MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/captainjls

Posted: 16 June 2006 03:24 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  2468
Joined  2001-01-30

On the tape. After the cartoon is finished is a promo for the Sentinels that aired at a Toy Fair (i believe). Prior to the Sentinels Logo coming on the screen they have a repeat of the last few moments of “to the stars”. The scene comes on (as I said) right before the logo.

The Toy Fair video is on Legacy Boxset #3 Extras Disc and I’m telling you there is no scene showing Gloval hugging his crew. Whats more, the novelizations were published in 1987, a full year after the animators in Japan created footage for the 1986 Toy Fair.

Your brain, sadly, is playing tricks on you. Don’t feel bad, most people swear that the SDF-01 is buried under one of the buttes in Southern Cross, eventhough the animation shows it to be too small to contain anything but a small fraction of the ship. Whats more, the Narrator’s dialogue in eps. #36 The Robotech Masters (IIRC) clearly states the Protoculture Factory is hidden within the reflex furnace of the SDF-01. Therefore, the buttes in Southern Cross are merely the burned out (and unopened/salvaged) reflex furnaces from the SDF-01.

Signature 

Creator/Admin for Facebook pages - Robotech: The Masters War and Robotech: The Role-Playing Game