Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
English Macross ?
Posted: 23 January 2003 02:13 PM  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2002-02-16

Was there ever, on vhs or laserdisc or dvd, an English translated version of the macross t.v. series produced (not Robotech). A friend of mine swears he saw vhs tapes by a company in Great Britain that had a description on the back of the tapes implying a translation “true to the Japanese source material”. Any thoughts ?

thanks

Posted: 23 January 2003 02:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2001-03-03

I assume you’re talking about a dubbed version.  As far as I know I don’t think there was.  There are subbed version out there but not dubbed.  Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted: 23 January 2003 03:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2002-02-16

Oh, sorry. I guess I forgot to specify. I was referring to a dubbed version.

Posted: 23 January 2003 04:30 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2001-02-16

while i am not aware of a British dubbed Macross TV series, i wouldn’t rule it out. i believe there are a few cheaply done dubs of Macoss TV out there, but i’m not sure.

most likely your friend is thinking of the dubbed version of the Macross movie, “Do You Remember Love.” this was dubbed in Hong Kong by Australian voice actors. often times people mistake them for British.

Signature 

-Dru
http://www.lebhead.com

Confused about Macross vs. Robotech? Read my profile for answers. and for even more, see:
http://protoculture.lebhead.com

Posted: 23 January 2003 07:47 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  2001-01-30

THEY SOUND HONG KONG NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS! THEY DO NOT SOUND ANYTHING LIKE AUSTRALIANS! *Cyc punches the wall for a few minutes to calm down*

Moving on, I tend to agree with Leb that it’s the Kiseki release of DYRL, which boldly claimed to respect the Japanese source material, yet was probably unlicensed and low grade to boot.

Cyc (the poster boy for officers at RT.com no doubt ^_^)

Signature 

The frisky non-living Marlene with questionable choices in employment and underwear.

RT.com Forum and Fan-Art/Fan-Fic Mod. Email me if you see any problems or have any questions.

Posted: 24 January 2003 12:53 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2001-02-16

And I can link to it because its an official HG product smile

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/mvc-017s.jpg

Its the first two episodes dubbed into English.  the SDF-1 is referred to as The Macross.  Its not Rick Hunter or Hikaru Ichijo, but Rick Yamata.  There were no more Macross episodes released and this version is almost word for word the same as Episode 1 and 2 of Robotech.  A DVD version of this video is found on the bonus disc of the second Robotech Masters box set.

Signature 

“The ladders of light we scale merrily
Move mysteriously around
So that when you think you`re climbing up, man
In fact you`re climbing down”

-Nick Cave

Visit ZORMASTER.COM!!

Posted: 24 January 2003 11:24 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2001-02-16

I have the one of the original tapes.  The first episode is on extra disc 5.  I annnoyed they didn’t included all the episodes.  They only did the three and then decided on Robotech.  Translation is realatively good.  Some voices are different.  Macros music was left intact.  Opening theme was changed.

Posted: 24 January 2003 07:22 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2002-02-16

Thanks for the responses. I actually spoke to my friend today and he WAS referring to Kiseki, but not the DYRL movie. Kiseki distributed tapes that had the name Robotech on the cover and on the back, the episode descriptions made reference to Robotech character names, but at the bottom of the back of the box they make reference to respecting the original Japanese source material and claimed that the original music and effects track was intact and also implied that the dubbed translation was true to the original intent. Has anyone purchased any of these? I think they got up to episode 20 or so.
Thanks

Posted: 24 January 2003 08:43 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2001-02-17

There was the Robotech perfect collections where there were two episodes of RT then the two original episodes of that series. But I dont hink thats what you are talking about.

Signature 

“Doth Thou Desire Power?” Grahf from Xenogears

Posted: 26 January 2003 10:55 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2003-01-26

I had a copule of these on VHS.

Although the box did claim that it ‘contained the original dialog, sound effects and BGM music form the Japanese release’it was just the standard version of Robotech.

Posted: 26 January 2003 06:21 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2001-02-16

sorry bout that cyc, but i could swear that i remember the HK VAs as being Aussie - at least some of them. but maybe i’m mistaken. wink

Signature 

-Dru
http://www.lebhead.com

Confused about Macross vs. Robotech? Read my profile for answers. and for even more, see:
http://protoculture.lebhead.com

Posted: 15 August 2020 01:20 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2020-06-08

We all are the person. We are not perfect as Collegessaywriters.com we need the help of our elders at every point of life. We will become unguided if we will not get the assistance of our elders. Hence, the suggestions and advice of your elders will protect you from danger.