Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Confused about Southern Cross Ending
Posted: 03 November 2002 08:27 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2002-08-30

I have seen 2 explanations about the ending of Southern Cross on the web. In one explanation, the detonation of the Zor ship over the protozors doomed the people of Glorie to turn into Zors eventually. In another explanation, the detonation is actually a good thing, as the planet Glorie is refertilised with grains stored in the 3 mounds, enabling the Zors and the people of Glorie to live together as they have enough food.

So which one is the right explanation? I tend to think the first tragic one is the correct explanation, but I hope someone who has seen the original can comment on this.

Failing that, we can always wait for the ADV release, which I don’t think I can get down here. >_<

Posted: 04 November 2002 05:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2002-02-25

(namely, RobMorgenstern’s) says answer no. 1.  You could argue that Musica is proof that being a Zor doesn’t completely destroy one’s humanity, and imagine the idealistic good guys (note: most of the wrong-headed authority figures on both sides of the war are dead by the time the Protozor’s unleashed) integrating the advantages of Zorhood w/o the disadvantages to Build a Better World, or something.

Posted: 05 November 2002 07:03 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2001-02-17

I’m waiting for ADV’s release of Southern Cross to know for sure. As far as wanting to know for sure goes, I’m particularly interested in how the hallucination scene plays out with its original dialogue.

The second theory, that the Flower is actually a food source, seems to crop up the most in earlier comments about Southern Cross. I’ve heard other comments about the original that don’t seem true, often apparently meant to make Robotech sound bad (ie, this theory would let someone accuse it of turning a happy ending into a bad ending). Some of them have to do with animating over bits of Macross, although AnimEigo’s DVDs seem to shoot that theory down (*unless* the masters that Harmony Gold supplied them with had been changed…)

Signature 

Keith Palmer
http://www.keithpalmer.ca/

Posted: 05 November 2002 09:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2002-02-25

put forth by anyone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about.  The fact that, in a fandom dominated by more-otaku-than-thou types who should have access to the Japanese dvds, the most major controversies have been over things like wrong OP sequence for the pilot, anachronistic translations in the sub (like “Resistance is futile”, a Trek catchphrase that the highly derivative and gaga-for-trek Mac. creators would probably have used or adapted had it actually existed at the time they made the show), or the amount of grain in the eps is I think sufficient evidence that this is bogus.  If I had to guess, it’s a distortion of one of those “there’s alot more sex and violence in the original and they took it all out” legends, or possibly some butt-ignorant fan not realizing that the Robotech Masters footage actually comes from another anime.

The famous legend about HG airbrushing out one of Glorie’s moons in a few scenes, *may* be true, but again it would require a pendantic and consistent attention to detail which would be quite out of character for the creators of the very slapdash RT gestalt.

The best argument for the “sad SC ending” for us people who don’t have access to the original, is everyone’s expressions at the end: given how few of them actually liked Seigfritt or felt any sympathy for the Zor, you would expect a little less solemnity.  As it is, the kind of “uh-oh” expressions everyone’s wearing suggests that this turn of events is Bad News.

As for the hallucination: well, put it this way: even SC’s most devoted fans and experts don’t know who the blue-haired girl is meant to be wink

Posted: 20 May 2020 11:38 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2020-05-20

Robotech is a website that has forums of community and southern macrosspeada etc. It has an explanation of southern cross ending game character which works on zors. But you can visit https://cheapessayswritingservice.com/buy-dissertation-online/ to get quality content for your assignment. You can also get their answers of given questions online. Join them for more information.

‹‹ Does anyone have      anyone know.... ››