Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe
Posted: 22 February 2001 07:04 PM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2001-02-19

Okay, I know they are not anime, but which show do you guys think was better, Transformers or G.I Joe?

Posted: 22 February 2001 07:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2001-01-30

As a series, I would have to give it to Transformers overall.  But the mini-movies that G.I.Joe had were great.

It just bugged me that they could always parachute out right before the airplane exploded.

~Le

Signature 

“Enjoy Life while you can.  You’ll never get out of it alive.”

Posted: 22 February 2001 07:23 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2001-01-30

TF was way better than G.I.Joe.  I watched both shows alot but Transformers stood out alot more that G.I.Joe. 

Thele - That bugged me too, but I guess since it was a kid’s show they didn’t want us to see people dying, and that wasn’t what G.I.Joe was supposed to represent.  Bunch of tree-hugg’n hippie crap if ya ask me.

Signature 

Do people still read these? I haven’t been on the boards in such a long time….

Posted: 22 February 2001 07:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1953
Joined  2001-02-16

Technically, GI Joe and Transformers can be considered anime since they were animated in Japan and have run on Japanese television

Signature 

Banned For Trolling

Posted: 22 February 2001 07:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2001-02-16

G.I. Joe WAS NEVER EVER ANIMATED BY JAPANESE !!!  Where do you find your information ?  Both Transformers and G.I. Joe were animated in the United States.  The ONLY thing that was Japanese was the idea of transforming robots.  The Transformers cartoon came from the U.S. comic.  The animators were U.S., the storyline was U.S., all of the characters that we all know such as Optimus Prime and Megatron are all U.S.  The japanese had to dub the Transformers cartoons into japanese !  G.I. Joe is completely 100% all american.  First of all, the name G.I. is what U.S. soldiers were called during WWII.  Joe is no where near a Japanese name.  Don’t you notice that it has an American flag in the background of the theme and also the words, “The real American Hero”  And a character had a U.S. marine corp. tattoo, the base had an American flag.  The company that first created G.I. Joe in the 60’s were all American.  I don’t want to hear anymore garbage about Transformers and G.I. Joe being Japanese !

Signature 

“There is no Peter, only Zuul.”

Posted: 22 February 2001 08:33 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1301
Joined  2001-01-30

was animated in Japan. TF was better in many cases. The comic book crossovers of the two where pretty good especially the original.

But it is a hard choice.

TF had optimus Prime

GIJOe had Serpentor hawk and Storm Shadow.

Signature 

Coercively Cloned Zentran at Birth; undergoing reclonning correction to Meltran configuration"Minmei? I’ve never heard of a Minmei; what are it’s ballistic capabilities?”-Khyron

Posted: 22 February 2001 09:24 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1953
Joined  2001-02-16

Actually, I get my info right from the credits of both shows. Trust me, I didn’t make this thing up. Besides, not every anime takes place in Japan or has Japanese characters in them. Granted, GI Joe was created by Americans, but was animated in Japanese animation studios by Japanese animators.

Signature 

Banned For Trolling

Posted: 22 February 2001 10:04 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2001-02-17

Anime or not Transformers had it all over G.I Joe in a bunch of areas. Characters, action, everything. Although Transformers was animated by Toei and that is a Japanese company. All the naimators were Japanese too.

Posted: 23 February 2001 01:16 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2001-02-17

At least one episode of the original Transformers, Call Of The Primitives, bears a massive resemblence to “anime-style” animation. I think it’s safe to say it was animated in Japan… Then there were TF: Headmasters, Victory, Zone, etc. that were all exclusively Japanese.

Signature 

Just my GP-02 bits…

Posted: 23 February 2001 06:09 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2001-02-19

Trnasformers would win, especially if you count the new TF Show Robots in Disguise, coming out in August, a dubbed version of Transformers: Car Robots from Japan. All of Cobra’s and GI-Joe’s heavy weapons could cause some damage, to the smaller Tf’s, but would be useless against the bigger ones. Now if you pit TF shows against TF’s then you might have something.

Posted: 23 February 2001 10:23 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1665
Joined  2001-02-17

back in the 80’s companys hired japanese studios to make american cartoons because it was cheaper labor ALSO transformers is still continuing in japan not the beast wars crud but actual animated transformers even gijoe has a spinoff in japan i don’t know the title but it has something to do with cyborg infantry. okay now for my pick i like gi joe because of the military themes and tree hugging??? what the heck do you think the autobots were doing? they never tried to take the power to return home but always kept the decepticons from mining oil cutting down trees and messing with earth heck gi joe blew up a lot of stuff and shot at and hit things i don’t remeber tranformers blowing many things up.

Signature 

Chalmers: Okay, what did you do to this?
Wolff: Emergency repair procedure number one.
Chalmers: You kicked it?“The gutter in here is wide and deep… and all seem to be in it…”-HT

Posted: 23 February 2001 12:07 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2001-01-30

the name “GI Joe” was a slang term at the time that meant an average soldier, and Mattel decided to use that name for its line of poseable toy soldiers. One more thing, in my oppinion, just because it isn’t Japanese doesn’t mean it isn’t anime, however, the American ones (probably other countries, I’m not sure, so I won’t say) are given the name “action cartoon” like Power Puff Girls (I know, I know, but I still like it, and it is an action cartoon) and BAD, maybe.

Signature 

Many of my friends are girls, if only they were aliens too….
Got Faeries? Get Raid. Kills. Faeries. Dead.
And lastly, please go to my site at http://www.cothar.com

Posted: 23 February 2001 01:11 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2001-02-16

here is direct information from the official G.I. Joe cartoon website:

“The very first G.I.Joe animation was seen in the 1982 television commercial for Marvel Comics’ G.I.Joe #1. Sunbow Productions produced all of the G.I.Joe animation between 1982 and 1988.

In 1983, Sunbow produced the five-part G.I.Joe syndicated television mini-series, “The M.A.S.S.
Device”.  In 1984, it was followed up by “The Revenge of Cobra” mini-series.  In 1985, “The Pyramid of Darkness” launched a daily syndicated cartoon that ran for two seasons.  Sunbow concluded their run of G.I.Joe animation with “G.I.Joe : The Movie” in 1987.

In 1989, another fledgling animation studio, DIC Animation, animated the further cartoon adventures
of G.I.Joe with their mini-series “Operation: Dragonfire”.  DIC also animated two seasons of
cartoons in 1990 and 1991.  However, DIC operated on a much lower budget and the results were of a
much lower standard of quality than the Sunbow cartoons.  Both DIC and Sunbow are American companies.”

That was taken off the official G.I. Joe cartoon website at yojoe.com
Now here is the information on Transformers:

“Originally, they first appeared in a set of comics by Marvel, but late in 1984, when the toys were ready, they introduced the Transformers cartoon (which, by the way, is one of the few instances of a Japanese toy line getting a cartoon series in America first), and soon, its tagline, “More than Meets the Eye” was on the tongues of more adolescent boys than “Whatchutalkin’about, Willis?“Hasbro bought more Japanese robot toy lines, expanded the roster over and over again, until the bottom fell out of the market in the late 80s.”

This proves that the cartoon was never animated in Japan originally, just the toys were created there.  And even the Japanese toys that Transformers came from were never used in the American cartoon.  I admit that Japanese have later started to animate transformers towards the end of the 3rd season, but it was originally animated by Americans.

G.I. Joe was not anime, I don’t care what you see in the credits, it’s just not true.  Transformers are not anime either because after we sold Japan the rights to animate Transformers they picked up on the way that the American company animated it.  They used the American design.  In G.I. Joe, if it was really animated in Japan for Japanese, than why are the mouths drawn perfectly to the American voices and are very off in Japanese ?  That is because Japan had to dub it into Japanese.  I’ll have Hasbro e-mail you everything that you need to know if you still disagree.

Signature 

“There is no Peter, only Zuul.”

Posted: 23 February 2001 02:44 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-17

you don’t give up do you? sunbow and dic are the distributors of those shows the actual studios where they were animated are in japan like harmony gold ditributes robotech but they didn’t animate it i’m not saying gijoe was made for japan tv only that they where animated in japan.

Signature 

Chalmers: You kicked it?“The gutter in here is wide and deep… and all seem to be in it…”-HT

Posted: 23 February 2001 02:53 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-17

this should end your claim warlord i just checked gijoe the movie it was animated by toei studio productions co ltd interestingly kenichi sonoda the guy who does gunsmith cats was an animator in it

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2001 03:17 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2001-02-16

Transformers the idea was American.  Hasbro used various transforming toy molds to produce a toy-line.  They were imported to Japan under the line of “Transformers” and eventually an animated series was made for Japanese viewing.  Hasbro knowing an Animated feature would help their own toyline, imported it, dubbed it, and aired it.  Hence why you can get fan-subs of the original series, the newer series after that, and so on…  G.I. Joe on the other hand was a total U.S. project, though the man who wrote all of the Character BIOs and basically created the G.I. Joe world was asian…  The show it’s self was animated in Japan, BUT<\B> was not originally made to air in Japan!  Therefore making it a regular animated series, and not an Anime.  You can’t make any series that was animated in Japan, Anime, because even some Disney movies were animated their…  Though as cool as it would be to see Goofy fighting Micky in a Giant Robot, it just won’t happen…  So in conclusion, though I have no idea what I’m concluding, Transformers is an Anime, while G.I. Joe was not.  I perfer Transformers because I have a thing for Robots, though the toy line of G.I. Joe holds a bigger place in my heart.

1 2 > 
1 of 2
‹‹ Akira      Escaflowne ››