Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
Well now that the RT: Macross Saga’s DVD’s are done..
Posted: 24 September 2001 02:50 PM  
Corporal
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2001-08-04

How many of you will pick up the rest of the series? The RT:Masters/Southern Trash wasn’t very popular in either language
(English or original Japanese version). New Generation/Mospeada had a luke-warm response(I thought it was cool). I know some RT fans have never seen NG.

I might pick up the rest of the DVD’s depending on what some of the extras are. I heard that the original dub of Macross will be on one of the upcoming box sets. Is this true?

So if the sales of the rest of the RT DVD’s take a nose dive. It will most likely prove what Macross fans have always known:
that RT’s success was/is due to SDF: Macross and its creators.

Any thoughts?

Signature 

Robotech fans need to realize that HG can’t buy everything and turn it into a new Robotech! Its time for HG to create their own series.

Posted: 24 September 2001 07:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2001-02-16

...with your statements.

Personally I have no plans on buying the rest of the DVD sets for Robotech.

So you have my vote.

Signature 

“...It’s only the deranged ranting of a dying man.”
-R. Dorothy Wayneright

Posted: 24 September 2001 07:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1432
Joined  2001-09-03

the entire collection on VHS. 

If I’m gonna collect the DVD’s, I’m not gonna shortchange my collection or myself.

Signature 

Geezer Team #0 - Intelligence
Old Guardsman
Alleged Historian of the Lounge

You mean sneaking around, placing spies, starting conspiracies?
I’m in INTEL, it’s my *job*!

Caveat Inimicus!    (Let my ENEMY beware)

Posted: 24 September 2001 07:58 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2001-02-20

so whenever i get around to getthing them i will get them all.

Signature 

The earth turns beneath
My feet walk along this path
Destination Lost

Posted: 24 September 2001 08:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2001-07-22

I love the macross saga the most.  I already bought the first two box sets.  I will get the rest of the box sets when they come out. Southern cross was ok. New generation was very good and my second favorite part of robotech.

Posted: 25 September 2001 02:43 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2001-02-18

I waited to get The Macross Saga dvd’s, but i’ll get TNG dvd’s the day they come out!

Signature 

I was here before backstabber.

Posted: 25 September 2001 05:35 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2001-02-16

I had originally intended to get Macross and New Generation, but considering that I haven’t seen the Southern Cross episodes in 15 years (and if it weren’t for the books and comics, I’d barely remember them at all) I figured I might as well shell out the cash for ALL the eps.

Posted: 25 September 2001 08:56 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  449
Joined  2001-02-15

gettin em all

Signature 

Infinite Dreams, I Can’t Deny Them!

Posted: 25 September 2001 12:51 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2001-02-27

“Gotta catch ‘em all!”  he, he smile

Signature 

I hate sigs.

Posted: 26 September 2001 06:17 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2001-07-21

entire series.

Signature 

The Definitvie Skull Squad

Roy Fokker
Rick Hunter
Max Sterling
Mirya Parina

Posted: 29 September 2001 01:13 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  2468
Joined  2001-01-30

as for Southern Cross, panterarocks…it is not trash and it certainly more visceral than the Macross Saga, the mecha were cooler (especially the Auroran/Ajax), the space combat scenes were more gritty and action packed and it had animation of a quality much higher than Macross….plus…no love triangles…just character triumvirates. It warms the heart of this Southern Cross fan to know that there are those who will buy it…Its one of the reasons I like the Sentinels visually (as the storyline suffers tremendously from stupidity in its current form), the unifroms, many of the mecha and vehicles are directly from Southern Cross.

The boxed set will be the first DVD purchase of Robotech that I make and only when I am done with New Generation will I consider buying the rest to fill out my collection, though I might buy the 3rd Boxed set after finishing up with Southern Cross so I can watch the Sentinels…...

I am sorry…panterarocks….Robotech’s success is not simply about Macross despite what you may believe.   

Signature 

Creator/Admin for Facebook pages - Robotech: The Masters War and Robotech: The Role-Playing Game

Posted: 29 September 2001 01:01 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2001-08-04

If it wasn’t Macross then what was it? It surely wasn’t the the Masters Saga/SC. Robotech’s 3 sagas follow their Japanese counterparts in terms of success closely. Macross, a huge hit in Japan. More episodes added due to fan response. SC, a failure. Canceled before it finished. Mospeada did okay. That series had an average run of episode and has a decent following.

The RT version of Macross wasn’t changed that much. Unlike SC and Mospeada most of its story was left unchanged. The rest of the RT universe is still based of off the original Macross universe.

Also what do most people remember/like about RT?
Its usually elements of the Macross Saga or the New Generation. Its either The valkyries or the cyclones. Or how much the they hate Minmei’s songs/character etc. Not those awful mech designs from SC/Masters. The character designs are garbage too.

There is a reason why SC failed is because its crap. Even with HG/Macek’s editing “skills” they couldn’t make it better. The ole saying goes “ya can’t polish a turd”.

Signature 

Robotech fans need to realize that HG can’t buy everything and turn it into a new Robotech! Its time for HG to create their own series.

Posted: 29 September 2001 05:03 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-01-30

but the rest of the Robotech uiverse WAS NOT based off of Macross. The word was protoculture but the concepts came from the Southern Cross ProtoZor flowers.

Its a pitty that some fans will never grow beyond the scope of Macross. Worse than they they debase anything that is not related to their sacred golden cow called Macross…..

Signature 

Creator/Admin for Facebook pages - Robotech: The Masters War and Robotech: The Role-Playing Game

Posted: 29 September 2001 07:37 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2001-06-20

Uh huh. RT was not based from Macross, it actually RIPPED OFF Macross, Mospeada, and Southern Cross. RT, and the rest of the RT timeline is what you would call a “BASTARD CREATION” since it had a number of stories that fathered it. As Galvatron said in TF: The Movie, “..this is bad comedy”

Likewise, it is a pity that some fans will not accept the fact that RT is RIP OFF created by Maceck’s illusions of grandeur and claiming it for his own. Even worse, they debase anything related to Macross as they cannot swallow the truth behind their false idol called Robotech…..

Just in case you find what I said offensive, I am sorry if it came out as such, but I would like to let you know that I am no Macross fan either. I’ve grown on RT since I was a kid, but accepted the fact that it was a ripoff from Macross when I saw the original TV series, and found out that Macross was created much earlier than RT.

Signature 

“I cannot find the logic in your words so it is only fair that you do not find the logic in mine”

Posted: 30 September 2001 12:47 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-01-30

Ive known for close to a decade and a half that Robotech is not original. Ive known that it was based on three unrelated anime series. Heck, my first real exposure to Robotech came from the RPG when I got it in ‘87. In the back was a little explanation and side notes about the original series and how they related to Robotech.

The argument is over Southern Cross. I happen to like Southern Cross, as it is my favorite segment of Robotech, and get kinda miffed when people call it crap and claim the only things American Robotech fans remember about Robotech comes from Macross.

Signature 

Posted: 30 September 2001 07:45 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2001-06-20

..just wanted to point out the part where you mentioned “some fans will not grow out of concept of Macross” to also say that some RT fans do the same.

Anywhoo, I also had the chance to watch Sc from where I am before it got pulled out,and I was actually starting to enjoy it too.

Signature 

“I cannot find the logic in your words so it is only fair that you do not find the logic in mine”

1 2 > 
1 of 2