Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
The nature of Khyron and Azonia’s relationship
Posted: 15 January 2021 12:23 PM  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2021-01-14

Newest recruit here! :) A lot of the threads I want to contribute to are like seven years old, so I figured I’d try my hand at starting one of my own on a topic that’s really interesting to me: the relationship between Lord Khyron and Commander Azonia.

There isn’t an extensive amount of information to go off, but given what I know this is what I see: after Dolza’s armada is defeated and the SDF1 returns to Earth, the next time we see Khyron, Azonia is with him and presumably has been there since the end of the big battle. I’m not sure exactly when or why she changed sides after supporting Breetai during the fight against Dolza, but I know that Khyron was fascinated by Minmei and her singing at that time, and I feel like he would have convinced her to join him—the whole Zentraedi way of life was under fire (literally) so breaking the rules to bring one female back to his ship may not have been a main concern. When Khyron starts actively attacking the micronians again, it’s been ~2 years during which he made preparations, sure, but that leaves a lot of time for him and Azonia to get to know each other as well—they seem to hang around together a lot, naturally, drinking orange juice and whatnot. I know they were aware of each other before and obviously they’d worked together at least once (I’d say probably multiple times, though), but they wouldn’t have really known each other personally aside from reputations. But something that stuck with me when I first watched the show as a kid and then when I rewatched it (like 800 times… (^^;)) was the battle they went into together following the capture of Minmei and kyle. It’s a very short moment, really, but it was telling to me: when Khyron sees Azonia’s battlepod get shot, his immediate unchecked reaction is to panic, and in the heat of a fiery battle he essentially sprints over to her through laser fire and enemy ships just to see if she’s okay. (I’m sure he knew that her dying in the fight was a possibility beforehand, but he might have been too drunk or too excited to contemplate it until it really seemed to be happening. I guess that’s beside the point, though.) Even though Azonia is okay, Khyron—still sounding panicked—doesn’t hesitate to call a full retreat and leaves on Azonia’s pod. I’m sure that as a decorated and talented commander, Azonia is of use to Khyron’s mission to destroy the SDF1, but his genuine concern for her safety didn’t read like he was losing something that was only of physical importance to him.

So that’s just my two cents. I really think that Khyron genuinely did care about Azonia and I think Azonia was also fascinated by Khyron and really enjoyed being in his company (and you best believe they’re one of my all-time OTPs right up there with Mulder and Scully). So yeah, feel free to agree or disagree or add your own thoughts! *salutes to you all* :)

Signature 

So new that I don’t officially belong to anything, but definitely a wannabe member of:

K.I.L.L.
Miriya Sterling Fan Club
A.k.L

Posted: 15 January 2021 02:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2007-03-01

I think the only reason why Azonia sided with Breetai was that after the Zentradi defections/cease fire; everyone currently present at the SDF-1 was marked for destruction by Dolza & the Grand Fleet.

Even Khyron wanted to flee and avoid Dolza’s wrath!

Signature 

This signature is for sale :D

Posted: 16 January 2021 02:02 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  178
Joined  2018-11-29

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting.

The out-of-universe perspective:

You found a juicy morsel to dissect because I personally feel this is a small “plot hole.” However, plot holes are a great place for fan imaginations to explore. I do not mean any disrespect to Robotech or the original Macross. I suspect both productions were somewhat rushed and this is just a small plot hole. My supporting evidence is the original series in Japan was going to end at 26 episodes in what became Robotech’s Episode 27 showing the defeat of Dolza. Episodes 28 to 36 were not part of the initial plan or cohesive organic concept. It is open to interpretation if the Japanese writers were forcing situations and stretching and milking the plot to create content or were they faithful to their artistic vision and following the natural consequences of the Post-episode 27 plot. I suspect the Japanese writers decided to setup another male villain and used Azonia to enable Khyron’s rise to power. However, the Japanese writers still managed to tease out Azonia’s own independence and possible role as the true mastermind when her internal dialogue mentions how easy it is to manipulate males in Episode 31. I also feel it may be lazy writing when there is a male and female character remaining on the leftovers pile of Post-episode 27 plot threads. The writers made them a doomed suicidal romantic couple to resolve their plot thread. It is lazy writing because it is easy to push a male and female character into a romantic relationship in the plot. While you analyze Khyron’s rescue of Azonia I would say it is a plot device to empower Khyon as the dominant and powerful male villain. Azonia was weak so she was injured and Khyron had to rescue her. This is balanced with Rick always rescuing Lisa and Minmei. I also think Khyron’s emotional rescue of Azonia helps the viewer empathize with this couple. This provides a greater emotional punch when they choose suicide giving another layer of bitter sweetness to Episode 36’s resolution and climax.

The in-universe perspective:

I don’t think Khyron was fascinated by Minmei. You just have some fun fannon there. Azonia was Khyron and Breetai’s commanding officer for awhile so she is likely still in command. Therefore, it might only be logical she be on the bridge of the best functioning Zentreadi cruiser. The Zentreadi culture would have to improvise and allow some gender mixing in the crews.

I wrote a 120 page essay in which I assert Khyron is the evil Roy. Thus, Khyron has to die because Roy died. I also assert Khyron becomes a symbol for Kyle and Dolza so as to provide catharsis to those plot threads. Thus, Khyron had to be a bad boyfriend to Azonia similar to Kyle being a bad boyfriend to Minmei. Check out the link in my signature if you are ever bored. Find the essay titled “A Media Literacy and Distilled Synthesis…”

I await your posts on 7 year old topics Lol!

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 19 January 2021 08:44 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2001-01-30

This is a great thread! And it’s probably been at least 10 years since I have replied/posted here …

So, I always interpreted Khyron and Azonia’s burgeoning relationship as representative of the inevitable collapse of a Zentradi society that was exposed to humans/protoculture. Even as a conquest-focused Zentradi commander who was aware of the threat that contact with humans presented, Khyron still succumbed to his emotional side. He and Azonia both simply became more human. So, in a sense, even if the Zentradi had completely eradicated humans, their exposure to protoculture doomed them regardless … which I guess Dolza knew would happen?

Signature 

“Sometimes you just have to drink to keep yourself under control.” — Ryoji Kaji

Posted: 20 January 2021 04:55 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Welcome back Doc Oc. smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 January 2021 11:47 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2021-01-14

You guys are great, I love the responses! I must admit, I never really considered the out-of-universe perspective on the relationship, but it gives things new context for me to consider. As far as in-universe goes, I totally agree with DrOctagon—the Zentraedi being exposed to humanity and culture was going to change them regardless of if they ended up joining them or not. I’m almost certain that’s why he made the decision to destroy everyone involved with the SDF1 mission. If they wanted to live, Breetai and Azonia had to join forces with the SDF1 just to oppose the Grand Fleet (but Khyron chose to just run away (^^;))...
And also! Brofessor, the link in your signature is so cool! :O I went through the essay you mentioned with the analysis of each of the first 36 episodes and also the visual essay and I LOVED it! Just what a superfan like me needed to pass an afternoon (^v^) I guess where I thought Khyron might be fascinated with Minmei was actually from a part where you talked about Roy and Khyron representing the male gaze; something I never considered, but I totally see where you’re coming from.
But yeah, thanks everyone for taking part in my thread! :D Hope you’re staying well and doing ok in quarantine wherever you are

Signature 

So new that I don’t officially belong to anything, but definitely a wannabe member of:

K.I.L.L.
Miriya Sterling Fan Club
A.k.L

Posted: 26 January 2021 09:26 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-06-03

Azonia has always had a tomboy crush on Khyron. testogen

Posted: 29 January 2021 10:38 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-01-30

Brofessor … I am blown away by the essays on your site. Will be working my way through those for a while.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2021 05:47 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Thanks Doc Oc. I hope they are fun to read. smile

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2021 09:34 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2006-03-12

I always thought it was odd that the Zentraedi were characterized as unemotional when they displayed their emotions all the time; especially fear and anger.  Both of which were probably deemed useful for a warrior race.

Posted: 01 February 2021 06:28 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

You are correct RaisingCane. I’m sure the Japanese Macross forums or Robotech forums have discussed this point. I guess it is more appropriate to say the Zentreadi lack “culture” more than they lack emotions.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2021 05:26 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2006-03-12

It seems you’ve put a fair amount of thought into it.

Posted: 01 February 2021 05:59 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-01-30

RaisingCane … that’s a really good point. Zentraedi definitely aren’t presenting themselves as Vulcans!

And thinking about the time period of Khyron and Azonia’s relationship … I’ve often found myself wondering what happened to other members of the female Zentraedi (Meltrandi) after the big battle with Dolza’s armada. There is ample male Zentraedi presence during reconstruction, but only Azonia and Miriya for the females. That would be a great plot thread to see come to life in another comic/novel series or even an interesting narrative to pursue in an rpg.

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2021 06:13 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2006-03-12

It’s entirely possible that there just weren’t very many female Zentraedi to begin with.  If the others were anything like Miriya, maybe the females primarily served as Dolza’s most elite special forces and were relatively few in number compared to the legions of male cannon fodder.  That may also be why they got the best mecha.

Posted: 02 February 2021 07:13 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2020-01-13

handymenconcreter
I am shipping them! You’ve written this so amazingly that I’d want to read another continuation.  Realtor Miami

Posted: 09 February 2021 03:13 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Private
Joined  2021-01-14

@RaisingCane, I’ve thought about that too! And good on DrOctagon for bringing the Vulcans into this, I’ve thought of them as a comparison race before myself raspberry Even before exposure to micronian culture, the Zentraedi already express emotions—anger and fear for sure, pride, amusement… I can’t think of any instances of genuine sadness, or happiness that wasn’t tied to pride or relief at living through another battle, but even so there’s a range of emotions there.

And I don’t know if this is relevant, but it’s always been my opinion that while Zentraedi don’t have “culture” in the sense that human beings around the world do, they do kind of have culture in the structure of their living system and/or in all the protocols they follow and have followed for however long their race has been around. Because isn’t that what Exedore is a minister of? Zentraedi history and their customs/protocol?

Signature 

K.I.L.L.
Miriya Sterling Fan Club
A.k.L

‹‹ Business Dollars      College Student Tips ››