Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Robotech in 4K using AI Algorithms .....
Posted: 27 May 2020 07:53 PM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2001-02-15

Recently I have become interested in the promising results coming from the use of AI algorithms upscaling lower resolution video.  In particular, the use of the Topaz Gigapixel AI has show that you can take 480i video and upscale it to pseudo-4K quality using Deep Space 9 as a test case.  This is well documented on the extremetech.com web site and one should read the articles posted there for further information.  I decided that I would attempt a similar process and try to create 4K Robotech episodes based on my lower quality original source material coming from my plethora of Robotech DVD box sets (Protoculture Edition, Legacy Edition, The Complete Series, The Complete Set, etc.). 

I decided that I would start by using the Topaz AI to upscale DVD quality copies of Macross Frontier.  I tested all four of the basic AI algorithms included in the Topaz software and without going into detail there were some fine tuning which had to be done to produce superior results.

At this point, Project Robotech 4K was ready.  I assumed that this would be an easy process albeit time consuming as the up conversion takes approximately 4 hours on an AMD 3900x with a NVidia 2080ti.  My source material was the Robotech Episodes from the “Complete Series”  However, I quickly determined after training the four default AI algorithms on Episode 1 of Boobytrap that none of them were producing results anywhere near the level of the Macross Frontier episodes.  In fact, the AI was often making the video look like stylized (art-deco) versions of Robotech.  These were interesting but after a couple of minutes highly distracting.

I tried copies from all my DVD collections and determined that the latest versions of the episodes (e.g. The Complete Set A+E) with different AI tuning than Macross Frontier produced superior results.  After 4 hours per episode, I use Handbrake to compress the 4K material using a H.265 scheme. I have worked my way through ½ of Macross and the New Generation at this point. 

The results are impressive but a couple of points.  The AI algorithm is incredibly good at sharping the picture and bringing out some hidden details, but there is only so much improvements that it can make based on the original source material.  The video colors are very vibrant, and I believe true to the original source material.  Motion blurring from the original source material is non-existent in the 4K rips.  However, with all of this said I do not think that there is really much difference in 4K Robotech vs some of the 1080p work using conventional sharping techniques.  I plan on investigating this further, but I have always found the difference between 1080p and 4k to be minuscule to begin with.

I currently have a secondary machine with a Titan X working 24/7 on the AI algorithms to upscale Robotech.  At its current rate of ~2 episodes per day (vs 6 on a 2080Ti), I expect that I will have completed 4K upscale in approximately three weeks.  I plan on posting a couple of short clips on YouTube showing what a potential 4K Robotech would look like, but please do not ask for source copies.  If HG is interested, I would gladly send them any results and discuss the process further.  Personally, I think that the results are good enough that they should consider a similar process (if not this one) to include in any future box set. 

After I have completed the original series, I am going to try to make a 4K version of Robotech the Untold Story.  As many of you know the movie was cobbled together from Megazone 23 and Southern Cross.  This has produced a noticeable difference in the quality of the animation as Megazone 23 was shot in 35mm and Southern Cross in 16mm.  I have some hopes that with proper training the AI can make a version in which the transition is less jarring than the best versions which are floating around.
Feel free to ask any questions that you might have and I will try over the next couple of week to post a couple of updates and upload short clips to YouTube.

Keeping Robotech Alive …….

Signature 

Robotech Research
http://www.robotechresearch.com

Posted: 28 May 2020 01:19 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2001-02-22

Very impressive! Would definitely love to see the clips!

Posted: 28 May 2020 04:47 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2018-11-29

Thanks for the post. Does YouTube steam in 4k? Do most home computers or TVs have 4k ability?

Thanks for keeping Robotech alive. smile

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 28 May 2020 05:47 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-15

YouTube does have a 4k option (2160p) if the source material was uploaded.  As for your second point, I would guess that most people do not have the capability of viewing 4K material as it requires a 4k monitor / TV set which I do not believe have proliferated to a majority of homes ..... yet.

Signature 

Robotech Research

Posted: 28 May 2020 04:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2001-02-22

My xbox one will stream youtube in 4k. Also not sure but my smart tv is 4k but havent tried it thru there. So assume it is possible given people have them. Just assuming.

Posted: 30 May 2020 08:20 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-15

Thanks for mentioning the the “Arrival of a Train”.  I forgot to add that the DS9 work was inspired originally by the use of neural nets / AI to enhance that film from 1895. 

Here is the link to the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk

Very impressive for the time

Here is the link to the upscaled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYNThid23g

Signature 

Robotech Research

Posted: 28 July 2021 10:37 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2020-06-24

https://masterbundles.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/4-Floral-Pattern-Texture.png

Posted: 13 August 2021 09:26 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2021-08-13

This is really very amazing post, I love reading about new facts. By the way, anyone here knows where I can get bestessay. My professor gave me so much essay work to do. And I didn’t have much time to complete it. So If you know where I can get it the please let me know.

Posted: 11 October 2021 01:03 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2021-02-03

Furthermore, when a client places their first order, we provide a 5% discount on what they ordered https://freepaperwriter.com/. We have other discounts for clients such as a referral discount for those who support us by referring our service to others. There are also holiday discounts that you can get when you order us to draft your essay during the holidays.

Posted: 26 November 2021 11:28 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2021-10-20

I am a big fan of math. Whatever I do or I play, I look at it from a mathematical point of view. Because of this talent, my son plays any game very quickly, thanks to my suggestions. Slope 2 is a game I have calculated the bases to help my children conquer that endless road

Posted: 02 February 2022 10:39 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2021-02-03

Why choose competent writers to help you compose your term paper help? Below are some of our guarantees grade miners that will keep you coming back to order more essays.

Posted: 22 June 2022 09:24 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2022-06-22

Nytimes crossword are drawn puzzles that are usually in the shape of a square or rectangle. The puzzle is filled with black and white squares. The goal of a crossword puzzle is to fill the white boxes with the answers to a series of questions. Most crosswords include numbers in the white squares so the player can match each question with a specific answer location. The shaded squares are used to separate the answers. The answers that go into the white boxes are written across and down, with separate clues for each direction. The answers will interlock with one another, so correctly answering one question will give you one or more letters that makeup part of a different answer. Once you have correctly completed all of the answers, you have “beaten” the puzzle.  Some crossword puzzles are quite difficult and completing them is an achievement you can be proud of! If you become a crossword master, you can even start working on The NYTimes Crossword Puzzle, which is fiendishly difficult.