Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3
3 of 3
Reflex Point. A new Robotech podcast
Posted: 21 July 2020 10:40 PM   [ # 31 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2001-02-22

Hi! Just chiming in. =) You may be thinking of an earlier episode. When Minmei was showing Rick her mail and saying something similar because it wasnt earth.  I cannot recall the exact words but I wonder if this is what your recalling.

Posted: 22 July 2020 04:49 PM   [ # 32 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2020-07-15
mr_explicit - 21 July 2020 10:40 PM

Hi! Just chiming in. =) You may be thinking of an earlier episode. When Minmei was showing Rick her mail and saying something similar because it wasnt earth.  I cannot recall the exact words but I wonder if this is what your recalling.

I went back and rewatched it… it was Jan who said it, both times…  :(

Posted: 22 July 2020 10:09 PM   [ # 33 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-22

Oh Jan said it two times? Very interesting.  I only remember her saying it once too. By the way i found your podcast on spotify =) I have recently started re watching the series as I read thru the comics. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Posted: 23 July 2020 06:18 AM   [ # 34 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15
mr_explicit - 22 July 2020 10:09 PM

Oh Jan said it two times? Very interesting.  I only remember her saying it once too. By the way i found your podcast on spotify =) I have recently started re watching the series as I read thru the comics. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Ha ha! I’m like you, just a fan of the podcast. A loyal listener!

Posted: 27 July 2020 09:52 AM   [ # 35 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2020-04-03

Ok guys, we are going to try something new! Along with our regular episodes we are going to throw in some Robotech immersion! Listen along with us as we play out our version of the Macross saga! Before the episode is up we will post pictures you can reference to follow along with on our Instagram page. While you are there don’t forget to follow us for your chance at some Robotech merch! Help us spread the word! Reflexpoint, the podcast that breaks down, and now puts you in your favorite anime!

Posted: 28 July 2020 08:17 PM   [ # 36 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15
Aoma15 - 27 July 2020 09:52 AM

Ok guys, we are going to try something new! Along with our regular episodes we are going to throw in some Robotech immersion! Listen along with us as we play out our version of the Macross saga! Before the episode is up we will post pictures you can reference to follow along with on our Instagram page. While you are there don’t forget to follow us for your chance at some Robotech merch! Help us spread the word! Reflexpoint, the podcast that breaks down, and now puts you in your favorite anime!

Followed! Remember that I was in the top 100 when you rule the world.  #89

Posted: 25 August 2020 06:30 PM   [ # 37 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-04-03

The next episode of Reflex Point is out! And we got our very 1st guest! She is none other than Rebecca Forstadt! The voice of Lynn Minmay! Come join us for this awesome interview and then episode 12, Big Escape!

Posted: 02 September 2020 09:38 AM   [ # 38 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2018-11-29

Nice job on Episode 12. Cool interview with Mrs. Forstadt.

It is funny you noticed the filigree designs in the Zentreadi rooms. That organic design recurs somewhat frequently throughout the series. If I recall correctly I observed it on light fixtures and ventilation grates on both Zentreadi ships and the SDF-1. This is likely the consistent design work of one of the Japanese artists. It’s presence on the SDF-1 may imply the ship’s alien origins as Zor’s battle fortress or the Supervision Army in the original Japanese SDF Macross series. It also somewhat vaguely foreshadows the political alliance between the micronians and the Zentreadi or perhaps their shared ancestry as the filigree design is a shared trait.

In a previous post I mentioned Joseph Campbell’s 17 stages of the Hero’s Journey and how Robotech seems to repeat the stages which may be part of the success of this series. This mini story arc of capture and escape repeats Stage 5 the Belly of the Whale. The POWs are inside a holding cell, inside Breetai’s flagship, inside Dolza’s battle fortress, in intergalactic space. This telescoping repetition is similar to the primary Belly of the Whale step of Rick’s journey when he was inside a parachute tent, inside a compartment, under a city, inside the SDF-1, in the outer solar system.

The 17 stages of the Hero’s Journey are not strict and are not required to all be fulfilled or to occur in any particular order. If we were to artificially force Robotech to adhere to the 17 stages, Episode 12 fulfills Stage 7 Meeting with the Goddess. Lisa is the Goddess when her hair gets wet and loses it’s intended hairstyle. Rick does not realize he has met the goddess, but the out-of-universe audience observes it clearly.

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 02 September 2020 06:21 PM   [ # 39 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-07-15

Hot Damn Brofessor! Keep doing what you’re doing, that is an awesome deep dive into the plot structure. Telescoping repetition indeed. I never would have seen it, now it’s so obvious I can’t unsee it. Nice!

Posted: 30 September 2020 01:37 AM   [ # 40 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-22

i finally caught up to episode 12! I am definitely enjoying the podcast! Keep it up! Do you guys read the comics along side the episodes as well?

Specifically more in blind game when Bretai engages Vermilion squadron he actually has some pretty choice words as he tosses them around =)

Posted: 02 October 2020 10:45 PM   [ # 41 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-22
Aoma15 - 25 August 2020 06:30 PM

The next episode of Reflex Point is out! And we got our very 1st guest! She is none other than Rebecca Forstadt! The voice of Lynn Minmay! Come join us for this awesome interview and then episode 12, Big Escape!

Hey that was awesome you had her on there! Lots of cool info.  I guess i am the guy booing in the crowd jealous lol… I’ve finally caught up to blue wind.  In the big escape though.  One thing i thought of when you mentioned the clothes the zents wear when micronized not being standard is maybe they are standard wear for those spies. I mean they would want something they could quickly change out of and if got caught not immediately associated to the Zentradi =) just my own thought lol

Posted: 05 October 2020 09:30 PM   [ # 42 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-22
ProtoMajor - 15 July 2020 08:06 PM

We do deserve a a good video game!

Enjoy the revisit! I know we have.

Hey ! Thanks again to you both! Man one of you sound so familiar lol. Anyways finished blue wind! Loved it. So i don’t have many notes as i listen while i drive and well my memory sucks lol. But i do know some things i wished they still kept in there.  Like the original, shall we say extended, scene when the spies first get into Macross City. Lots of extra i thought important reactions. 

Also something that always ALWAYS got me.  How could the spies not recognize Lisa, Rick, and Ben. You figure with the interrogation and shock of what they experienced they would of remembered the prisoners.  And they announce it to the whole crowd.  Now in the original they do recognize them =) as good spies should lol. Right =)

And last to answer your question. At the end. All my life watching Robotech.  I always thought that was sammy on the P.A. system.  I took the challege to say ha! But after listening to it several times and comparing it to other scenes i couldn’t believe, but now i definitely think its kim =) anyone else?

Posted: 07 October 2020 01:44 PM   [ # 43 ]  
Private
Joined  2020-04-03

Ok folks, it’s been awhile but episode 14 is up! And it’s a great one! Come join us as we dissect Gloval’s Report with a special guest host!

Posted: 07 October 2020 06:10 PM   [ # 44 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-22
Aoma15 - 07 October 2020 01:44 PM

Ok folks, it’s been awhile but episode 14 is up! And it’s a great one! Come join us as we dissect Gloval’s Report with a special guest host!

Thanks! Look forward to it!

< 1 2 3
3 of 3