Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Marlene Rush: Women in Refrigerator or something more
Posted: 25 October 2019 08:07 PM  
Corporal
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2008-09-27

In Robotech: The New Generation and Mospeada, it is well known that Stig/Scott had a girlfriend/soon-to-be-wife Marlene, who was killed off in the first episode with her hologram being a tragic memento.
For one, I am wondering if she is “Women in Refrigerator”, or loved one being killed off to motivate a (male) hero, since
1. Her personality in her “brief” appearance being shallow.
2. Killed off to give Stig/Scott angst and pain.
3. Ariel/Aisha being a replacement for his lost (Robotech) or an attempt at redemption (Mospeada).
On the other hand.
1. Her death wasn’t one-off and actually stick with Stig/Scott to the point that he kept the pendant.
2. Stig’s/Scott’s entire mission to Refless after the entire ship or division (not sure if the Dub realized it or not, but the original did have few survived and reaching to Refless point) was motivated by the pendant.
3. Her death actually brought up multiple times, especially in the finale to convince Stig to uphold a ceasefire in Mospeada.
I was a wonder if Marlene is an example of “Women in Refrigerator” since I am divided due to these points, which she didn’t have characterization yet wasn’t disposable love interest common in such tropes. Kinda like Gwen Stacy in comics since the storyline did show that her death motivated Mary Jane to be a better person as well as Spiderman.

Signature 

Left, Right, Left….ARRGHH [Splat!]
-call of duty: modern warfare 2 mountain mission

Posted: 26 October 2019 10:41 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2018-11-29

Hi there. I believe she does portray the “Women in Refrigerators” trope and she does fit in the subcategory of the “Disposable Woman” trope. The human Marlene character also portrays “The Lost Lenore” trope and fits here with the most accuracy due to her constant presence as the pendant and her likeness with Ariel.

For Forum lurkers this post refers to a literary or cinematic device known as a trope. There is an entire wiki website dedicated to TV tropes. Robotech has an entire list of tropes on this wiki. They are recurring elements contained in fiction to aid the plot and storytelling. They are used so often they are all becoming cliches.

Signature 

Click here for Academic Robotech Analysis

Posted: 26 October 2019 08:31 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2008-09-27
Brofessor - 26 October 2019 10:41 AM

Hi there. I believe she does portray the “Women in Refrigerators” trope and she does fit in the subcategory of the “Disposable Woman” trope. The human Marlene character also portrays “The Lost Lenore” trope and fits here with the most accuracy due to her constant presence as the pendant and her likeness with Ariel.

For Forum lurkers this post refers to a literary or cinematic device known as a trope. There is an entire wiki website dedicated to TV tropes. Robotech has an entire list of tropes on this wiki. They are recurring elements contained in fiction to aid the plot and storytelling. They are used so often they are all becoming cliches.

Well, it’s not for tv trope entry, just that I am wondering if Marlene fits in with Women In Refrigerator after discussing The Night Gwen Stacy Died, or rather realizing that everyone was influenced by Gwen’s death and it did stick with Peter Parker unlike the usual “then promptly forgotten”.

Signature 

Left, Right, Left….ARRGHH [Splat!]
-call of duty: modern warfare 2 mountain mission

Posted: 26 November 2021 08:34 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2021-11-26

This episode was really very good and I watched it on the YouTube. I am a student and writing an essay about it using https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/unemployedprofessors/ site. This is the best platform where we can learn to write best essay.

Posted: 19 December 2021 05:11 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2021-08-25

Best example

fort wayne marriage counseling