email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Robotech isn’t a Dub
Posted: 05 October 2019 06:26 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2019-10-05

Forum newbie here.

I just started watching Robotech for what is essentially the first time (I know I watched the series as a child but honestly don’t remember much about it), and the more I watch, the more I realize that it’s not accurate to describe it as an Anime Dub.

Instead, I would classify it as an “Anime-derived Original Cartoon Series” that deserves to be analyzed, critiqued, and appreciated as such and on its own merits.

Posted: 05 October 2019 11:38 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2017-07-31

I’d personally call it an adaptation. The basic story of the three series (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) is intact. Especially Macross. Carl Macek didn’t want to change too much about the shows, just enough to connect them and have it all make sense.

I however would call The Sentinels an “Anime-derived Original Cartoon Series” since it’s very clearly derived from the three original series.

Posted: 05 October 2019 11:46 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2019-10-05

I see Robotech the same way I see Power Rangers; it’s derived from something else but is also an original and unique thing into itself.

Posted: 10 October 2019 03:10 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  705
Joined  2008-09-27

I see Robotech like Starblazers, Voltron, and Battle of the Planets.
Except Robotech did have enough tact to NOT have “the person was not killed” dub put in despite the character obviously killed or have plot holes compared to these three (e.g.- “Radioactive Sleeping Gas” and “Funeral for the enemies” for the first one, the death of the main character among others being edited out in second, and the dumb robot that keep insisting that everyone is alive in third.).

Signature 

Left, Right, Left….ARRGHH [Splat!]
-call of duty: modern warfare 2 mountain mission

Posted: 10 October 2019 06:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Joined  2019-10-05
roboemo - 10 October 2019 03:10 PM

I see Robotech like Starblazers, Voltron, and Battle of the Planets.
Except Robotech did have enough tact to NOT have “the person was not killed” dub put in despite the character obviously killed or have plot holes compared to these three (e.g.- “Radioactive Sleeping Gas” and “Funeral for the enemies” for the first one, the death of the main character among others being edited out in second, and the dumb robot that keep insisting that everyone is alive in third.).

I don’t consider the original Voltron to be a Dub either, nor do I consider that show or Robotech to be Anime.

Posted: 11 October 2019 10:01 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2018-11-29
DigificWriter - 05 October 2019 06:26 AM

Instead, I would classify it as an “Anime-derived Original Cartoon Series” that deserves to be analyzed, critiqued, and appreciated as such and on its own merits.

Couldn’t say it better myself.

Signature 

Academic Robotech Analysis