email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Masters Love!
Posted: 08 July 2019 11:18 AM  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2001-11-01

Hi All,

I am sure that this has been done before, but I just wanted to discuss the Masters segment.

I just recently re-watched the whole Masters segment of Robotech again, minus Dana’s story.  I should mention that I watched Robotech when it originally aired in 1985 from beginning to end, I was not a Masters Fan but I didn’t dislike the segment either….in fact I remember liking the New Generation and the Macross Saga nearly equally with the Masters behind.

Well, 35+ years later, I find the Masters saga captivating, maybe because I watched it by itself?  Once the series started going from episodes such as the trap, I found it very suspenseful, and action packed with science fiction that was second to none in my opinion (Civilians being kidnapped, brainwashing, clones with independent thought being purged etc.).  Also, being the most underserved, I also enjoyed learning things over, things not always discussed by RT fans except the hardcore.

But at the same time, I felt somewhat un-satisfied as before.  There is something about the ending, I wanted more closure with the characters….it works as a transition to the New Generation….but I wanted more.  That being said, the last few episodes were action packed, and I found myself caring for certain characters.

What are everyone’s thoughts?  The Masters part of Robotech, was changed the most of all three series according to Carl Macek.  I am not meaning to bash the Masters at all….I love the Masters!  But, do people feel differently about this segment now as opposed 32 years ago when it first aired?  The masters segment was always the most under served….was it deserving of that distinction?  Personally, I find the hovertanks to be cool Mechs, but I just find the Cyclones and VT’s are cooler in my opinion.  Are the characters really less memorable?  Or is there something you wish was done differently about this series?

Signature 

“This Robotech thing was just so exciting I couldn’t give it up. It just gets in your blood or something, I don’t know.”

Posted: 09 July 2019 04:49 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2018-11-29

Hi there.

I have a goal of re-watching it but I can never find the motivation.  I would like to watch the original Japanese version, the original Robotech version, and the remastered Robotech version.  I randomly watch episodes here and there and it is a grind.  The 10 year old version of me had age appropriate standards and tastes and I loved it.  Now, I am so much older and it is really hard for me to watch it.  It really feels like it is meant for an audience of children and there is nothing wrong with that.  It is just difficult for me to watch as an adult.

Posted: 15 July 2019 10:02 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2001-11-01

Hi Brofessor,

I do agree watching any of the sagas straight thru can be a slog, especially that the animation is very old.  However I would disagree with you that it was meant for children.  I saw the series when I was 10 and it blew me away.  Now as an adult, I still felt reasonably captivated. 

But I should mention what kept me going was that I was showing it to someone for the first time….this is why I went along with watching the Masters, it is a shorter segment

Signature 

“This Robotech thing was just so exciting I couldn’t give it up. It just gets in your blood or something, I don’t know.”