Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
The Robotech/Macross License Has Been Extended!
Posted: 05 July 2019 06:15 PM  
Private
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2017-07-31

So hey, I got to interview the Harmony Gold team before their AX panel about the big news. Yep, the license has been renewed past 2021! I know we all as fans have questions and I did my best to get them answers. There’s a lot to pour over here so I hope you all dig it!

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/robotech/282027/the-robotechmacross-license-has-been-extended-exclusive

Posted: 05 July 2019 08:17 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  809
Joined  2002-07-12

If this means that the obstacle holding up a sequel to The Shadow Chronicles has at long last been cleared, then I’m happy.
cool smile
If not, then it’s just “eh, whatever.”
oh oh

Signature 

“Hello, my name is Human…”

Posted: 05 July 2019 11:26 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2019-07-05

If it means we still can’t get Macross franchise for future, than this is really bad news.

Posted: 06 July 2019 03:49 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1908
Joined  2001-01-30

Extended to do what? They’ve been talking about a Robotech revival for 20 years. They’ve let the brand stagnate. There’s no evidence of a change in behavior. It’s the same old Toby Maguire Powerpoint.

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 06 July 2019 06:43 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1619
Joined  2001-02-16

I’m pleased. Now give me an open world single player rpg with Cyclones. Like Skyrim but, y’know, Robotech.

Signature 

Team Southern Cross!

Posted: 06 July 2019 09:01 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2019-07-05

Had read comments on Facebook, Twitter, and comment section in that article. Let me say, this deal can’t help to solve problems of the Robotech. Anger just keep rising and made the deal even worse.

Posted: 07 July 2019 03:52 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2018-11-29

Thanks for the post and hyperlink.

This is an extension of the past licensing agreement.  I hope they re-negotiate and allow distribution of all Japanese Macross franchise products into the United States and worldwide and allow Robotech franchise products into Japan and worldwide.  I hope they re-negotiate and allow Harmony Gold to utilize intellectual property from Episodes 1 to 36 for sequels to the first Robotech war and for crossovers between Shadow Chronicles and intellectual property from Episodes 1 to 36.

Which would sell more tickets internationally?  A Robotech franchise live action film based on Episodes 1 to 36 or a Japanese Macross franchise film based on Episodes 1 to 36?  I suspect the Robotech film would sell more tickets internationally but I’m not sure.

Is this extension actually good news?  Would it be better for Harmony Gold to lose all rights to the three Japanese cartoons adapted into Robotech?  Could the original Japanese creators purchase all rights to Robotech from Harmony Gold and then be in control of both the Macross franchise and the Robotech franchise?

If the invention of streaming and even pirating is a disruptive technology, perhaps all parties involved will recognize the unrealized profits and commodities available.  A lot has changed since 1990 and the year 2000.  Disruptive technologies like the internet have empowered the consumer to acquire commodities through the international marketplace.  Disruptive technologies like Ebay and Amazon have eased the burden on the consumer.  Thus, the profit motive has reached a threshold enabling a re-negotiated contract in which all parties would benefit.

Sadly, Harmony Gold is officially a failure in respect to the Robotech franchise.  This forum and website is exhibit A.  If past behavior predicts future behavior, why should anyone be happy about this news?

Posted: 07 July 2019 02:34 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-16

How is this forum and website a failure, exactly?

Signature 

Team Southern Cross!

Posted: 07 July 2019 11:44 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  700
Joined  2008-09-27
Darth Mimic - 07 July 2019 02:34 PM

How is this forum and website a failure, exactly?

Let’s see, rehash of old contents, lack of interesting part for the forum other than the design, and lack of new entry to Robotech franchise while Macross managed to boom even up to this date.
There is a comic series however, but the plot is going south.

Signature 

Left, Right, Left….ARRGHH [Splat!]
-call of duty: modern warfare 2 mountain mission

Posted: 09 July 2019 08:21 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-16

What rehash? How is the forum rehashing anything?

Signature 

Team Southern Cross!

Posted: 09 July 2019 05:13 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2008-09-27
Darth Mimic - 09 July 2019 08:21 AM

What rehash? How is the forum rehashing anything?

Maybe not a rehash, but the contents seem to be fewer and didn’t adjust well with the phones.
Maybe not something I can explain well, but Robotech franchise seems to lack any new contents yet still holds Macross distribution rights when Macross just released a new one 2 years ago.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2019 12:48 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Any fan of Robotech is a friend of mine.  We all love Robotech right?  So you are all cool in my book.

By questioning the rehash portion of Roboemo’s criticism it kind of indirectly validates the other portions of his criticism.  Forum’s often go after the weakest point of an argument in an attempt to invalidate the entire argument.  Forum’s go after the low hanging fruit.

The website feels like a rehash because a lot of the same subjects are discussed but the moderators do not combine similar threads or organize the forum.  Also, the bots and spam simply repost old topics and those are definitely a rehash.

I think this website and forum works for a brand new fan’s entry into the Robotech universe.  However, it is very light in content and very shallow for fans 34 years after 1985.  It’s almost too glossy and corporate.  The style and design was awesome at the time of the reboot but it is very stale now.

There is also something to be said for every thread getting derailed into discussions like this.  That must indicate something has gone haywire along the way of the last 34 years.

I am glad you are staying positive Darth Mimic.  I am hopeful about the extension too.  I am Charlie Brown running toward the football.  Will Lucy (Harmony Gold) pull it away at the last second again?  Lol!

Posted: 10 July 2019 05:02 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-16

So I have a couple of points to make here. First, I’d just like to frame my following statements by saying that I do support people being able to make their own judgements for themselves. Like what you like, don’t like what you don’t like, it’s all your right.

That being said, there needs to be a distinction between an opinion and a point of fact. I like the mecha design of hovertanks is an aesthetic choice/opinion. Hovertanks are featured in Masters Saga is fact. Masters Saga is best of all three canon Robotech series is an opinion, not fact based. And sometimes, when getting into discussions, opinions get posted as facts.

For instance, the idea that Harmony Gold has failed Robotech is an opinion, rather than a fact. There are still people buying dvds, toys, and games years after the original series ended. While Tactics certainly failed, Crisis Point, Force of Arms, and Attack on the SDF-1 seem to be fairly well reviewed and to be selling well. There are new collectibles, toys, and potentially a movie if Jason Fuchs can be believed.

So has Harmony Gold failed? How do we judge success or failure? By sales or critical success? Shadow Chronicles sold well. Isn’t that a success? Would you rather have something well reviewed that didn’t sell? Can something do both? Is the comic selling well? Does it need releases every year like Star Wars?

Anyways, my two cents. I feel like Robotech is in a better position than Highlander, or even Star Wars. Star Wars is making money, but the storytelling is all over the place. Highlander as a great unofficial podcast (two, really)  but there’s not much motion on new material.

And let’s talk Macross. The reviews for Macross Delta and Seven have been… middling. Macross Frontier was well reviewed, but from a fairly small sample size. I don’t see Macross as being a success, or at least not much of one. But that’s my opinion, anyways. wink

Signature 

Team Southern Cross!

Posted: 11 July 2019 12:22 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

I hear you.  You make a lot of good points Darth Mimic.

Posted: 12 July 2019 11:10 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2019-01-31
Darth Mimic - 10 July 2019 05:02 PM

So I have a couple of points to make here. First, I’d just like to frame my following statements by saying that I do support people being able to make their own judgements for themselves. Like what you like, don’t like what you don’t like, it’s all your right.

That being said, there needs to be a distinction between an opinion and a point of fact. I like the mecha design of hovertanks is an aesthetic choice/opinion. Hovertanks are featured in Masters Saga is fact. Masters Saga is best of all three canon Robotech series is an opinion, not fact based. And sometimes, when getting into discussions, opinions get posted as facts.

For instance, the idea that Harmony Gold has failed Robotech is an opinion, rather than a fact. There are still people buying dvds, toys, and games years after the original series ended. While Tactics certainly failed, Crisis Point, Force of Arms, and Attack on the SDF-1 seem to be fairly well reviewed and to be selling well. There are new collectibles, toys, and potentially a movie if Jason Fuchs can be believed.

So has Harmony Gold failed? How do we judge success or failure? By sales or critical success? Shadow Chronicles sold well. Isn’t that a success? Would you rather have something well reviewed that didn’t sell? Can something do both? Is the comic selling well? Does it need releases every year like Star Wars?

Anyways, my two cents. I feel like Robotech is in a better position than Highlander, or even Star Wars. Star Wars is making money, but the storytelling is all over the place. Highlander as a great unofficial podcast (two, really)  but there’s not much motion on new material.

And let’s talk Macross. The reviews for Macross Delta and Seven have been… middling. Macross Frontier was well reviewed, but from a fairly small sample size. I don’t see Macross as being a success, or at least not much of one. But that’s my opinion, anyways. wink

Are you seeing new, younger fans become interested in the franchise? No, what you see are some trickle in, but you don’t have the masses see RT and want more of it. The reason is HG can’t get off their butts and release an actual good new series. They are the epitome of the past his prime high school jock who has nothing to talk about except for his records he broke in his team’s division over 30 years ago.

I have 2 young kids that would probably love an updated robotech show. They loved Pacific Rim and those kinds of movies, so this franchise is perfect for them. The problem is it’s dated and kids today(at least mine) are not all that interested in watching animation from the 80’s. They need the cgi stuff.

HG is failing by not taking the great thing they have and expanding on it. A show today with the visuals they can make now would be phenomenal if done right.

Posted: 12 July 2019 03:26 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2008-09-27
Hunting_Invid - 12 July 2019 11:10 AM

Are you seeing new, younger fans become interested in the franchise? No, what you see are some trickle in, but you don’t have the masses see RT and want more of it. The reason is HG can’t get off their butts and release an actual good new series. They are the epitome of the past his prime high school jock who has nothing to talk about except for his records he broke in his team’s division over 30 years ago.

I have 2 young kids that would probably love an updated robotech show. They loved Pacific Rim and those kinds of movies, so this franchise is perfect for them. The problem is it’s dated and kids today(at least mine) are not all that interested in watching animation from the 80’s. They need the cgi stuff.

HG is failing by not taking the great thing they have and expanding on it. A show today with the visuals they can make now would be phenomenal if done right.

Well, less CGI and more of the fact that localization isn’t cutting out in an era of internet where people tend to look down on a story recut into a different one (*cough* Megazone 23 as Robotech movie, 4Kids, and Warriors of the Wind */cough*).

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2