Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
How many VF-1Js did Rick Hunter go through?
Posted: 10 February 2019 07:49 PM  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1171
Joined  2001-02-15

Before he became Skull Leader and began piloting the Skull One, Rick Hunter went through quite a few of those white-bodied, red-striped VF-1Js.  How many did he total beyond all hope of repair?

By my count:

1.  One damaged in “Sweet Sixteen.”  Was that one reparable?

2.  Armored unit heavily damaged in “Miss Macross.”  Again, reparable?

3.  Unit utterly destroyed on Breetai’s ship in “First Contact.”  This one was blown to smithereens and without question not reparable.

4.  Unit downed at sea in “Battle Cry.”  Most likely unrecoverable and irreparable.

So Rick lost somewhere between 1-4 of those VF-1Js, depending if the ones in 1, 2, and 4 were salvageable.

Oddly, Rick never totaled the Skull One.  What changed?  Obviously, he would take greater care of his “Big Brother” Roy Fokker’s prized Veritech Fighter, but that wouldn’t automatically grant Rick the ability to preserve the Skull One any better than those VF-1Js he lost.  I don’t think his piloting technique changed much after “Battle Cry.”

Posted: 11 February 2019 02:45 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43125
Joined  2001-02-16

The reason that Rick never totaled the VF-1S Skull One wast hat by the time acquired it he was far more experienced.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 11 February 2019 06:05 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3280
Joined  2001-03-13
Buried Alien - 10 February 2019 07:49 PM

Before he became Skull Leader and began piloting the Skull One, Rick Hunter went through quite a few of those white-bodied, red-striped VF-1Js.  How many did he total beyond all hope of repair?

By my count:

1.  One damaged in “Sweet Sixteen.”  Was that one reparable?

2.  Armored unit heavily damaged in “Miss Macross.”  Again, reparable?

3.  Unit utterly destroyed on Breetai’s ship in “First Contact.”  This one was blown to smithereens and without question not reparable.

4.  Unit downed at sea in “Battle Cry.”  Most likely unrecoverable and irreparable.

So Rick lost somewhere between 1-4 of those VF-1Js, depending if the ones in 1, 2, and 4 were salvageable.

Oddly, Rick never totaled the Skull One.  What changed?  Obviously, he would take greater care of his “Big Brother” Roy Fokker’s prized Veritech Fighter, but that wouldn’t automatically grant Rick the ability to preserve the Skull One any better than those VF-1Js he lost.  I don’t think his piloting technique changed much after “Battle Cry.”

Rick does total Skull-1 in “Force of Arms” (I assume it’s Skull-1 due to the head styling) on a level that exceeds “Sweet Sixteen” (loss of 2 arms vs 1 arm).

“Sweet Sixteen” and “Miss Macross” would be servicable IMHO as the unit is largely intact, though the Armored addons in “Miss Macross” likely are lost.  “Battlecry” I’d put at 50/50 if anything was recoverable.

As to what changed?  Experience is likely a factor, but the damage his mecha assignments have taken are situational and never really encountered afterward.  Most likely a contributing factor could be in the performance differences of the A/J/D/S/R models.  It isn’t likely the only difference between them was the number of head lasers (that IS the case in the OSM), the -1S is supposed to be based on the prototype (per the Infoepdia article) suggesting that the -A/D/J/R models are less “prototypish” than the -S model.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 11 February 2019 09:32 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15
ShadowLogan - 11 February 2019 06:05 AM

Rick does total Skull-1 in “Force of Arms” (I assume it’s Skull-1 due to the head styling) on a level that exceeds “Sweet Sixteen” (loss of 2 arms vs 1 arm).

The “Sweet Sixteen” VF-1J also suffered extensive damage to its head unit, which Skull One didn’t in “Force of Arms.”  Seems like the FAST Pack armor ate the worst of the damage on Skull One.

Posted: 11 February 2019 11:18 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2019-01-31

Reason why skull 1 wasn’t totaled: Plot Armor.

Posted: 12 February 2019 11:11 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  681
Joined  2006-03-12

Didn’t Skull One only lose its arms and canopy in Force of Arms?

Posted: 13 February 2019 02:53 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  440
Joined  2001-02-22

To be fair/ The last time it was Lisa who shot him down. Massive friendly fire incident.

Signature 

Si vis pacem para bellum.

Posted: 13 February 2019 10:07 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16
RaisingCane - 12 February 2019 11:11 PM

Didn’t Skull One only lose its arms and canopy in Force of Arms?

Yes. The arms were destroyed by a Zentraedi missile barrage. The added armor protection kept the rest of the fighter intact. Also, the canopy glass was shattered by an explosion while exiting the Grand Cannon. Rick jettisoned the remains of the canopy after landing.

Signature 

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 13 February 2019 10:23 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  681
Joined  2006-03-12

Hardly what I’d considered irreparable damage.

Posted: 13 February 2019 10:27 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

True. Rick’s VF-1S “Skull One” was repaired and remand in service until it was decommissioned and dismantled.

Signature 

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 13 February 2019 11:12 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15
Megalord1 - 13 February 2019 10:27 PM

True. Rick’s VF-1S “Skull One” was repaired and remand in service until it was decommissioned and dismantled.

Indeed…each of the VF-1Js that Rick trashed were to some degree inoperable, which was never the case with Skull One.

Posted: 13 February 2019 11:29 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16
Buried Alien - 13 February 2019 11:12 PM
Megalord1 - 13 February 2019 10:27 PM

Indeed…each of the VF-1Js that Rick trashed were to some degree inoperable, which was never the case with Skull One.

Yeah.

Two words:

‘Hero Mecha’.

Signature 

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 19 February 2019 10:43 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1730
Joined  2001-04-17

Great thread. Really enjoyed reading

Signature 

Shadow Squad 279 Commanding Officer

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike