Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
ROBOTECH Matches # 2:  Rick Hunter (Super VF-1 Veritech) vs. Scott Bernard (Alpha Fighter)
Posted: 10 February 2019 04:03 PM  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2001-02-15

Second in the series.  smile

We pit Rick Hunter at around the time of the end of the First Robotech War in a Super VF-1S Veritech Fighter (e.g. with FAST Packs) vs. Scott Bernard (end of Third Robotech War) in an Alpha Fighter.  Location of battle is low Earth orbit.  Who takes it, and how long does the struggle last?

Posted: 11 February 2019 02:47 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43223
Joined  2001-02-16

Question:

Is Scott’s fighter a combined Alpha/Beta unit?

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 11 February 2019 09:17 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15
Megalord1 - 11 February 2019 02:47 AM

Question:

Is Scott’s fighter a combined Alpha/Beta unit?

No, just an Alpha Fighter, without the Beta attachment.

Posted: 12 February 2019 02:30 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43223
Joined  2001-02-16

Alright.

Rick’s Armored VF-1S (e.g. with FAST Packs) is going to have both the firepower and speed advantages.

Scott’s Alpha is equipped with short range missile, lasers in the nose, and a gunpod.

Rick’s Armored VF-1S is equipped with both long and short range missiles, lasers on the head/turret (possibly in the nose as well), and a gunpod.

Rick is also going to have the experience advantage.

Scott will have the agility advantage, as well as being a smaller target, and technologically more advanced.

Basically it will come down to who can get the critical hits in first.

With the added armor packs, Rick’s VF-1S will be able to take more hits then Scott’s VAF-6H.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 12 February 2019 08:19 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3290
Joined  2001-03-13

Alpha carries 68 missiles (60x 190mm +78mm) vs the VF-S w/Fast Packs 52 missiles (6 on the wings + 46 Fast packs).  The Alpha’s missiles are shown to have anti-missile capacity, so theoretically Scott can counter every missile from the VF-1 and have some to spare.  Now the missiles might not be in the same range/destructive capacity, but even if Rick’s are more powerful, Scott’s might still be effective at anti-missile protection.  This gives the edge to the Alpha.

This means that weapons are likely going to come down to their guns, and the Alpha gunpod isn’t known to run out of ammunition in the show (unlike the GU-11 the VF-1 carries, Rick exhausted it at least x2, and Ben and Max did to).  Weather an 80mm tri-barrel beam weapon is more potent than the tri-barrel 55mm projectile is hard to say (no canon performance number allows comparison).  The VF-1 does have its secondary guns (head/nose lasers), but the Alpha also has a set of secondary lasers.  The edge seems to favor the Alpha, at least in terms of endurance.

Speed advantage in atmosphere does go to the VF-1, though out in space/Low-Earth-Orbit it is hard to say as it would come down to the Delta-V capacity of both (which there is no canon answer AFAIK).  The Alpha demonstrates better response time in maneuvers (thrust and turning), at least in the animation (byOSM text it all goes to the VF-1).

Scott seems to be a better pilot than Rick though.  Scott only gets shot down once (by Corg) and crash lands once (cause unknown), where Rick completely totals a VF-1D, x2 VF-1Js, takes limb damage to his VF-1S and VF-1J and trashes another VF-1J leaving it intact but needing to be towed in.  Even by on-screen kills IINM Scott out performs (or is on par with) Rick.  Lets not forget that Rick was unable to shoot down Khyron or Miryia when he engaged them, but Scott was able to take Corg down (granted that was round 2 and in the Beta).  So the edge seems to favor Scott.

Given the engagement zone in the initial post I have to wonder why the Alpha doesn’t have it Beta counter part.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 12 February 2019 09:35 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15
ShadowLogan - 12 February 2019 08:19 AM

Given the engagement zone in the initial post I have to wonder why the Alpha doesn’t have it Beta counter part.

Mostly because I reckon that a bare bones Alpha Fighter is already more or less on the same level as a Super VF-1 Veritech, and an Alpha/Beta combo would far outclass the Super VF-1.

Posted: 13 February 2019 07:39 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3290
Joined  2001-03-13
Buried Alien - 12 February 2019 09:35 AM
ShadowLogan - 12 February 2019 08:19 AM

Mostly because I reckon that a bare bones Alpha Fighter is already more or less on the same level as a Super VF-1 Veritech, and an Alpha/Beta combo would far outclass the Super VF-1.

Well the Beta would certainly add to the Alpha’s capabilities in terms of 6 wing hard points (per Infopedia), an extra 16 missiles (technically it carries 56 SRMs, but 40 are blocked), and potentially adds 4 (out of 5) additional tri-barrel beam cannons to the mix (2 forward facing and 2 rear, but use is questionable).  The Beta is supposed to bring additional thrust and propellant tankage, but its hard to quantify that.

Per Macross Mecha Manual, they list the Thrust-to-Weight Ratio of the Super VF-1S as 6.36.  The Alpha’s T/W is a per OSM information something like ~1.15, though in the animation the Alpha displays higher T/Ws of ~18.7 (launching from the Garfish hangar), that isn’t even the highest value I’ve calculated (limited animation analysis, there are more scenes to analyze I just haven’t gotten around to it as I need to explore easier options and just haven’t gotten back around to it).  What the Beta’s T/W ratio is (OSM information or animation) I couldn’t tell you.  There is also the question of just how much endurance the 3 units have (and the Beta would actually be robbed of performance with the Alpha), the VF-1 might have that data but not the RT Alpha or Beta.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.