Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Robotech - The Asset Flip Anime
Posted: 26 January 2019 03:26 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2019-01-21

I had a thought when watching this video. The essay is mostly on the philosophy of classifying art, essentially that any classification is meaningless since such classifications are generally arbitrary & that art doesn’t really exist except in the eye of the beholder. So that let’s say the existence of Robotech exists while it is being observed in the specific way, for anyone who watches it in a foreign language this can jump out at you.

He then uses Steam’s infamous asset flip games as an example of what could be achieved. From the trash that is sold cheaply to surprisingly thoughtful works of art.

Anyway this got me to thinking, isn’t Robotech essentially an asset flip? HG essentially bought a bunch of assets from 3 1/2 different sources, much like an asset flipped game, then combined them in ways the original authors never intended and created, imo, something new & distinct. I mean compare any Macross sequel to any Robotech sequel and the tones & themes are wildly different despite using the same starting point.

What do y’all think? I mean combining Macross, Mospeada & Southern Cross isn’t much different than those infamous foreign movies like Turkish Star Wars or 3 Dev Adam, where the designs for Captain America, El Santo And Spider-Man are used to create a new unrelated story. Legal formalities aside.

https://youtu.be/35Xmk0l7m-s

Posted: 15 February 2019 10:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2018-11-29
Chimalpahin - 26 January 2019 03:26 AM

So that let’s say the existence of Robotech exists while it is being observed in the specific way, for anyone who watches it in a foreign language this can jump out at you.

Hi there.  I agree with you.  Could you clarify the above sentence?  What specific way?  Observing Robotech as art is easier when we can’t understand the language?  I agree with that if that is what you mean.

...the existence of Robotech exists… ?