Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Poll
Should the canon policy be revamped or not?
Yes, I agree with the OP 1
No, it is fine as it is 2
Yes, but not in the way the OP pitches it 5
Not wure 1
Total Votes: 9
You must be a logged-in member to vote
The state of Robotech canon
Posted: 23 January 2019 04:45 PM  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  2012-03-31

Robotech canon has gone through some twists and turns over the years. A franchise such as this one, like Star Wars, Marvel and the DC comics universe, needs more than a Black&White; canon policy. Star Wars officially had up to 5 or 6 tiers/layers of canon from the early 1980s until 2014, when then-new CEO of Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy and to a lesser extent Pablo Hidalgo with approval from corporate scumbag Disney CEO Bob Iger WIPED THE WHOLE EXPANDED UNIVERSE FROM CANON(save arguably for the Dark Horse “Son of Dathomir” comic)!  All that lore is now at best “What-if” stories. shut eye cool mad I’m not saying to bring back the entire old canon policy, no. I’m saying that its best that HG revamp the canon policy to be more fluid so to speak. 3 or 4 Levels of canon could do it.

A suggestion for a revamped canon policy:
CA-Canon, hands down. Includes not only the TV series but also Prelude to Shadow Chronicles, most of the newer comics, Remastered Sentinels movie, Battlecry video game, Shadow Chronicles, and Shadow Rising.

S-Secondary Canon. Material in this category is still in the Robotech continuity, but is not as important overall, and might take place in an alternate timeline. Includes the Waltrip brother’s comics, the 1985 Robotech movie(Untold Story), some of the novels, and a few of the RPGs.

L-Lower level continuity. Outside of the main continuity. Material that falls into this category is definitely either alternate timeline or continuity. Includes: Most of the rest of the novels,  some of the newer comic books(mainly the crossovers) the non-remastered version of Sentinals, a select few of the tabletop RPGs and most of the old comics that weren’t by the Waltrips.

N-Non-canon. Stuff in this category did not happen in the Robotech universe at all and out of the window. Includes: Robotech 3000, both the comic and novel versions of EOTC along with “The Devil’s Due”, and most of the tabletop RPGs.

Feel free to weigh in!

Signature 

Member of the Earth Liberation Force. WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EARTH IS WON BACK FROM THE INBIT!!!

DOL member

Posted: 23 January 2019 05:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Private 1st Class
Joined  2012-03-31

*sure DRAT

Signature 

Member of the Earth Liberation Force. WE WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EARTH IS WON BACK FROM THE INBIT!!!

DOL member

Posted: 23 January 2019 07:14 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

My suggestion?  Just the show and Shadow Chronicles.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 24 January 2019 05:30 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2018-11-29

Hi there.  What is the current official state of Robotech canon?  The animation only excluding the movie?

Just curious about the following.  Prelude is comics?  What key scenes were changed in the remastered Sentinels?  Shadow Rising was never written or created?  What is Devil’s Due?

Thanks.

Posted: 24 January 2019 07:05 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private 1st Class
Joined  2012-03-31
Brofessor - 24 January 2019 05:30 AM

Hi there.  What is the current official state of Robotech canon?  The animation only excluding the movie?

Just curious about the following.  Prelude is comics?  What key scenes were changed in the remastered Sentinels?  Shadow Rising was never written or created?  What is Devil’s Due?

Thanks.

Prelude is comics yes, but is one that is considered fully canon. Devil’s Due(or whatever it may actually be named) is one of the old comics that along with End of The Circle, are non-canon, even now. Remastered Sentinels removed the wedding scene, altered the order of some minor events, and has gotten a better transition at the ending. Shadow Rising hasn’t been finished, no, but its not dead like Robotech 3000. Also, you are free to vote in the poll whenever you are ready.

Signature 

DOL member

Posted: 24 January 2019 11:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Thanks.

What are the implications of changing canon?  Some fans want validation of the characters or story lines they love?  Is this thread just a fun discussion or does the OP have a logic or agenda?  By altering canon do fans have hopes of certain aspects being included in a live action film or further licensed animation or comics?  Do fans simply want future material to fit into the canon?

How would the OP’s proposal be beneficial?  It would allow the fans to quickly categorize new material into 4 levels?  It would give new artists and writers 4 choices to create their plots?

How strict is canon?  Some comics are ok but include dates and years incompatible with canon.  Does a strict person allow dates to be fudged or must the entire series be scrapped and placed into a sub-level of canon due to a time stamp?

Sadly, the capitalist corporate machine funding all science fiction is motivated to maximize profits.  Ignoring or obeying canon is the furthest thing from their mind.  There is no canon police, only franchises and licensees.

What is official Robotech Canon?  The animation minus the movie or including the movie?  Says who?  Harmony Gold?  Tommy Yune?

Does canon work for any fiction?  Does Macross obey strict canon?

Posted: 24 January 2019 03:44 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private 1st Class
Joined  2012-03-31
Brofessor - 24 January 2019 11:44 AM

Thanks.

What are the implications of changing canon?  Some fans want validation of the characters or story lines they love?  Is this thread just a fun discussion or does the OP have a logic or agenda?  By altering canon do fans have hopes of certain aspects being included in a live action film or further licensed animation or comics?  Do fans simply want future material to fit into the canon?

How would the OP’s proposal be beneficial?  It would allow the fans to quickly categorize new material into 4 levels?  It would give new artists and writers 4 choices to create their plots?

How strict is canon?  Some comics are ok but include dates and years incompatible with canon.  Does a strict person allow dates to be fudged or must the entire series be scrapped and placed into a sub-level of canon due to a time stamp?

Sadly, the capitalist corporate machine funding all science fiction is motivated to maximize profits.  Ignoring or obeying canon is the furthest thing from their mind.  There is no canon police, only franchises and licensees.

What is official Robotech Canon?  The animation minus the movie or including the movie?  Says who?  Harmony Gold?  Tommy Yune?

Does canon work for any fiction?  Does Macross obey strict canon?

This thread is a little bit of both a fun discussion and a serious pitching on canon policy. My proposal would apply to all Robotech material, not just the animated series, Shadow Chronicles, and the newer comics.
>some comics are ok but include dates and years that are incompatible with canon

Any instances from the comics that are neither crossovers nor from the older comics aka any publications pre-2008 or so? In any case, if it were to contradict any date or event from either CA(stuff like the original TV series, Shadow Chronicles, remastered Sentinels and the Prelude comic book) level canon or S-level canon, its either N: non-canon or at most L: Lower level canon/continuity. Sadly, I must say that I agree with you for the most part on the corporate capitalist machine being what it usually is. confused downer I think Its likely some folks at Harmony Gold rather than just Tommy Yune that decide what is official Robotech canon.

Signature 

DOL member

Posted: 24 January 2019 06:04 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 24 January 2019 11:44 AM

Does canon work for any fiction? 

Canon, in any fiction, is basically what the creator (or owner of the rights, if the creator doesn’t) says “actually happened”.  For example, someone once asked Gene Roddenberry about the many Star Trek novels.  He said the show is what actually happened and the novels are fiction! Usually deleted scenes from movies and TV shows aren’t canon.  I’m not sure what HG says Robotech Canon is this week. HG probably doesn’t even know. 

Fans, of course, have what you might call a personal canon - what THEY see as canon, but that can be very different for individuals.  Some of us here “consider the novels canon” even though they are not.  I, personally, prefer to think along Rodenberry’s lines - what hit the screen is canon.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 24 January 2019 11:20 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1880
Joined  2001-01-30

The absolute state of Robotech and its canon.

My personal canon is the 85 episodes but only McKinney told the entire story. I don’t accept Shadow Chronicles.

“Shadow Rising”
Leaked story outlines or are you seriously having faith they’ll make it?

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 25 January 2019 06:37 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3280
Joined  2001-03-13

Having ONE Canon with vary levels really isn’t the answer as I see it.  I think it they redid the canon it should push material into its own universe officially so there isn’t one “canon” or “universe”, but several universes each with their own respective canon.  That doesn’t mean they have to continue supporting a given AU with new material.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 25 January 2019 10:15 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2017-07-31

“I think it they redid the canon it should push material into its own universe officially so there isn’t one “canon” or “universe”, but several universes each with their own respective canon”

If you’ve been reading the new comic that’s sort of what they’re doing. This is just a theory based on what’s been going on in the comic, but I get the feeling that EVERY version of Robotech has happened within the seeming time loop that’s going on the comic. We’ve seen characters have knowledge of future events, which leads credence to the time loop theory. In my guess, the universe of Robotech is on a loop (ala End of the Circle) so that means EVERY version has happened at one point or another. The original TV series is one timeline. The Comico comics are another. The novels are another. And so on. This why they all “count” but not in the same way you’d imagine.

Posted: 29 January 2019 12:49 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2001-11-11

I feel that cannon should be the TV series and some of the comics, the original sentinels given in the Robotech Art 3 listing the show outline, Shadow Chronicles, and some of the continued RPG content after the series on earth.
The McKinney books are a fantasy dream of the author and not a true cannon with a crazy time warp loop.
There are some excellent RPG material that was written back in the late 80’s and 90’s on the internet that could be an alternate time line or part of the original cannon fill in the time lines.
I don’t think the remastered Sentinals movie is not complete cannon with some of the changes that eliminated some of the events.
All this is moot if Harmony Gold does not feel it is not going to stick to a time line or series of events. Carl allowed many of the changes to happen in the various marketing pieces. cheese

Signature 

The battles are won by the many personnel needed to maintain the equipment to work properly.
Although a little jerry rigging is sometime the only fix possible under time constraints of war.

An unknown Robotech mechanic

Posted: 19 February 2019 10:16 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

I found what may be official canon for Robotech literature.  It is the Bibliography page of this website.  Some items are in white and some items are in grey.  At the bottom of the web-page it lists white as core continuity and grey as extended continuity.