Ecocriticism:  An Essay about Robotech and Nature Part 2 of 3
Posted: 31 December 2018 09:39 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2018-11-29

Ecocriticism:  An Essay about Robotech and Nature Part 1 of 3

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206996

Part 2 of 3

In The Masters, the SDF-1, SDF-2, and Khyrons’s battlecruiser are all buried in mounds of earth to contain the radiation.  Earth is seen as a protector and healer as the soil is used to absorb the humanoid made toxicity.  The original Japanese Southern Cross source material is based on a story of Planet Earth being uninhabitable and humanity colonizing two planets in two other solar systems.  This is in itself an allegory about pollution or nuclear war poisoning Earth.  The Clone/Mordecai Comic also has a plot of some humans leaving the Milky Way Galaxy and heading for another to populate several different solar systems.

The Invid themselves are an allegory about genetic engineering.  The Regis’ singular search for a perfect form is portrayed as maniacal.  She is tampering with natural evolution.  Her activities destroy the entire planet of Praxis.  The Invid are the original victims in Robotech.  They were a protoplasmic lifeform living in symbiosis with Planet Optera and the Flower of Life.  After Zor’s meddling, the Regis arrives on Planet Earth and eventually transcends to a higher plane of consciousness destroying the Neutron-S missiles as she transfigures.  She leaves behind a cleaner world and in some timelines there is no protoculture left on Earth when she leaves.  The exit of the Invid from Earth resolves two plots in Robotech.  These being ridding the Earth of the Invid and ridding the Earth of protoculture.  The Invid could represent an illness or plague on Earth and are eventually rejected by the Earth’s immune system.  Earth is then returned to good health.  The source material of MOSPEADA seems to show the Inbit as restoring the health of Planet Earth and saving humanity from itself.  The Inbit eliminate nuclear power.  This would be a moral of the Robotech fable as the Japanese creators had recent history of two nuclear weapons being used against their country in 1945 and perhaps Carl Macek dovetailed a populist anti-nuclear agenda on top of this messaging.  Likewise, the Japanese psyche may have manifested the Invid as representing the Allied forces in World War II.  The Allies occupied Japan after 1945 and the nation could not return to good health or sovereign statehood until their autonomous departure in 1952 somewhat resembling the story arc of the Inbit.

The Japanese writers may have also intended the rain of death in The Macross Saga as an obvious metaphor or simple example of nuclear holocaust and radiation.  Also, similar to Zor perverting nature and the Flower of Life, the United Earth Government perverts the gravitational power of Mother Earth for the purposes of war and creates the Grand Cannon during The Macross Saga.

There is a subtext of compare and contrast in the presentations of Moon Base AluCE, Mars Base Sara, and Tirol relative to Earth.  Earth is the implied preferential choice of residence for Earthlings.  All the planets of the Sentinels also illustrate the advantages of Earth.  Haydon IV is the absence of nature and is a bit dystopian.  A compare and contrast is also observed in the species of Robotech.  Earth is organic and micronians are organic.  Janice Em is an inorganic female android or gynoid.  The Zentreadi and Robotech Masters seem inorganic.  These beings seem artificial, manufactured, and cloned.  The micronians have more recently crawled from the primordial ooze and retain savage emotional behavior which the viewers egocentrically find superior.  The micronians and the Sentinel species all appear the most humane.  They are all organisms derived from Darwinian natural selection.  In direct contrast, the Masters, Zentreadi, and Invid are all able to bend evolution to their whims and are inhumane.  Robotech affirms the reproductive wisdom of nature and the folly of humanoid intelligence in this regard.

The Zentreadi also allow the viewer to feel superior in that the Zentreadi often refer to the micronian’s pathetic sentimentality for Planet Earth.  The Zentreadi have long since cut any terra firma ties and are a space faring species.  Scott Bernard was born in outer space and thus has no familiarity with his home world Earth.  This is seen as he experiences rain for the first time and is unsure as to what it is.  He also becomes frightened of strange noises while alone at night in the forest and fires his weapon only to discover rabbits in a bush. In one scene Scott claims he cannot swim.  This moment allows the viewer the chance to re-evaluate their ecosystem through the eyes of an interplanetary voyager seeing Earth as alien.  The Robotech Masters are unable to travel the universe without the monopole ore mined on Fantoma.  This demonstrates the consumption of natural resources required to conquer the universe.  Similar to the Regis and her Genesis Pit experiments, the Masters created the Zentreadi to mine ore on Fantoma.  They later re-purposed the Zentreadi for their military.

Continue to Part 3 of 3

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206998

Posted: 01 January 2019 12:42 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 31 December 2018 09:39 AM

In The Masters, the SDF-1, SDF-2, and Khyrons’s battlecruiser are all buried in mounds of earth to contain the radiation. 

The Invid are the original victims in Robotech.  They were a protoplasmic lifeform living in symbiosis with Planet Optera and the Flower of Life. 

The Japanese writers may have also intended the rain of death in The Macross Saga as an obvious metaphor or simple example of nuclear holocaust and radiation. 

The Zentreadi have long since cut any terra firma ties and are a space faring species.  Scott Bernard was born in outer space and thus has no familiarity with his home world Earth. 

All of the things you mention here are tied to the devastation of war, not of technology in and of itself.  The radiation from the crashed ships got there because of war.  Invid were warred upon, which led them to become vicious, analogous to terrorism.  The Rain of Death I agree symbolizes nukes, but again that’s warfare.  The Zentraedi had their terra firma ties cut for them, for purposes of war. 

I do agree with all you’ve said about nature healing and the dangers of perverting it for (again) war, but I really really have to disagree that Technology is what we’re being warned about (and I’m something of a Luddite).  Warfare is the big evil here - if it was technology, the micronians would have gone Full Ewok on the aliens.  Instead, we also used technology.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 03 January 2019 03:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  993
Joined  2001-06-13

To everyone who has reported comments by user phamyen, thank you.  This account is obviously a bot which posts generic one line comments followed by a link.  I have alerted Steve to the problem so he can delete the account.  In the meantime, I’m not going to delete the comments so that Steve can see what is going on.

Thanks

Signature 

Seifrietti Weisse (AKA Zor)(AKA Annie’s Daddy)
http://www.robotechanthology.com

Posted: 13 January 2019 05:26 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2017-07-25
Brofessor - 31 December 2018 09:39 AM

Ecocriticism:  An Essay about Robotech and Nature Part 1 of 3

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206996

There is a subtext of compare and contrast in the presentations of Moon Base AluCE, Mars Base Sara, and Tirol relative to Earth.  Earth is the implied preferential choice of residence for Earthlings.  All the planets of the Sentinels also illustrate the advantages of Earth.  Haydon IV is the absence of nature and is a bit dystopian.  A compare and contrast is also observed in the species of Robotech.  Earth is organic and micronians are organic.  Janice Em is an inorganic female android or gynoid.  The Zentreadi and Robotech Masters seem inorganic.  These beings seem artificial, manufactured, and cloned.  The micronians have more recently crawled from the primordial ooze and retain savage emotional behavior which the viewers egocentrically find superior. The micronians and the Sentinel species all appear the most humane. They are all organisms derived from Darwinian natural selection.  In direct contrast, the Masters, Zentreadi, and Invid are all able to bend evolution to their whims and are inhumane.  Robotech affirms the reproductive wisdom of nature and the folly of humanoid intelligence in this regard.

in Robotech we see how can be opposite artifical and natural, but in fact in Robotech (not any other show i know) we mix art and tech every time and never can say where natural stops and artifical begins (Regess is natural - even supernatural being but you often blame her with breaking nature haha!!!) You say Invids are inhumane (that’s right) and then blame them with “folly of humanoid intelligence” )))))))))))))))))))))))

Whether Nature is to be humane or her wisdom is beyond our (human) understanding?

The same with Protoculture - we don’t even know for real what is it ... How can we say what is the Protoculture for the Earth or Tirol? Okey ... maybe it’s realy “the fuel of transfiguration” as Rem sais in “Rubicon” as_far_as_i_remember. Gorgeous! It’s not even transformation but a kind of Magic or even divine Providence! Who can control it but God? Regess can - she is the mistress of Protoculture.

Is she God? Is she Devil? A part of pure Nature in opposite to some artifical God (Aka Hydon).

Signature 

I’ve been here before ...
my name was allye…

My Robotech vision: https://ficbook.net/readfic/1430507

https://ficbook.net/readfic/3508709 (not complete yet)

not in english .. sorry ))

Posted: 19 January 2019 04:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Hello there.  Thank you for commenting. 

I do feel there is a clear line between artifical and natural in Robotech.  There was one cyborg character in Episode 81 named Dusty Ayres.  Also, I suppose Jack McKinney did imbue a sense of shape shifting machinery and a psionic link with the thinking cap.  However, even here I feel there is a clear line between organic and inorganic.

My argument is Robotech implies species retaining natural reproduction also retain their humanity or morality while the Masters, Zentreadi, and Invid are inhumane due to their artificial means of reproduction.  The English language is a bit tricky but you are conflating the vocabulary word inhumane with humanoid.  My assertions are sound.  I am simply saying Robotech implies intelligence paradoxically leads to a loss of morality.  The Masters, Zentreadi, and Invid have superior intelligence but lack morality.  You are using good critical thinking skills however.  smile

I do agree.  Nature has no morality or humanity.  I never meant to imply such.  Nature is cruel.

The Regis can control protoculture but it also controls her.  The Invid are completely dependent on it.  She was in desperate search of the Flower of Life and found it on Earth.  She is a part of nature and so is Haydon.  Haydon found immortality in becoming an android.  She traveled through the black hole of Ranaath’s star and Haydon followed her.  So she does seem more advanced than Haydon.

You have many good ideas.  smile

Posted: 19 January 2019 10:39 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 19 January 2019 04:02 PM

The Masters, Zentreadi, and Invid have superior intelligence but lack morality.

The Zentraedi had superior intelligence?  You must have watched a different Robotech than I did.

Signature 

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 22 January 2019 12:38 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

Lol!  So you admit the Masters and Invid are more intelligent than the micronians?  The Zentreadi know about reflex weapons, protoculture, the masters, the invid, space folds, micronians, the colonized planets of the Tzuptum system, and how to navigate the universe.  I propose the Zentreadi are superior in knowledge and intelligence.  Maybe equal in intelligence.  Lol!  smile  Granted they were lied to and given a false history by the Masters.

Posted: 23 January 2019 06:06 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

The Zentraedi only knew how to operate the equipment.  They couldn’t repair.  Any knowledge they had was for purposes of warfare only, and the Masters kept them ignorant.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2019 04:58 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Commander
Total Posts:  993
Joined  2001-06-13

I think it may be important to note that there is a difference between intelligence and knowledge.  A group can have superior knowledge but inferior intelligence.  Intelligence being the ability to solve problems and think creatively, and knowledge is just a collection of facts and information. 

The Masters, the Invid, and to a lesser extent the Zentraedi had superior knowledge, at least in some areas, when compared to humanity, but it’s difficult to say that one was more intelligent that the other.

Signature 

Seifrietti Weisse (AKA Zor)(AKA Annie’s Daddy)
http://www.robotechanthology.com