Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Art Critique of Robotech:  Gender Studies/Female Character Analysis Part 5 of 6:  Character Designs in Robotech
Posted: 29 November 2018 11:59 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2018-11-29

Part 1 of 6:  The Tragic Incompatibility of Opposite Genders in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206919

Part 2 of 6:  The Effect of Love on Strong Female Characters in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206920

Part 3A of 6:  Romance in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206921

Part 3B of 6:  Romance in Robotech continued

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206922

Part 4 of 6:  Gender in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206923

Part 5 of 6:  Character Designs in Robotech

Fifth, let us examine the physical attributes of the characters in Robotech.  The alpha males are taller.  Dolza is taller than Breetai, Breetai is taller than Exedore, and Exedore is the shortest of all Zentreadi males.  Roy is taller than Rick.  Emmerson is taller than Leonard.  Ben is taller than Max, but Max is a wolf in sheep’s clothing… and aviator glasses.  Captain Gloval is taller than everyone.  The Mayor is short and plump embodying the corruption, greed, and gluttony of politics.  Anatole Leonard is obese which signifies a gluttonous villain.

Minmei, Max, Annie, Louie Nichols and Exedore are all small but mighty.  Their innocent exteriors conceal incredible strengths.  Max and Louie wear glasses which indicates physical weakness compensated by intellect and skill.  Lazlo Zand wears goggles.  His eyes are hidden.  This signifies a villain or hidden agenda.  Jonathon Wolfe wears sunglasses and his eyes are hidden.  He betrays his fellow soldiers and has somewhat of an affair with Minmei.  Breetai and T. R. Edwards have faceplates which signifies a villain.  They are disfigured physically as well as spiritually.  Most recently, (spoiler alert) Rick Hunter has enhanced vision in the new Titan Comics similar to Neo in The Matrix film.

Ben Dixon is gregarious like Annie, Dana, and Minmei but he pays a high price.  There is foreshadowing of Ben’s death in his obesity and appetite for life.  His gluttony, impulsivity, and unbalanced desires have a fatal consequence instructing the viewer on the lesson of self-control.  At the other end of the spectrum a character with too much self-control, Sue Graham, while professional, is consumed by her mission and likewise pays a high price.  Oddly, she was using a recording device reminiscent of Lisa recording her visit with Dolza.  Sue also parallels Lisa in being so mission oriented as to lose one’s humanity.  Whereas Lisa evolves and matures, Sue does not live long enough to learn this lesson or embody it.  Robotech seems to preach a healthy work/life balance.

Posted: 29 November 2018 02:48 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5648
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 29 November 2018 11:59 AM

The alpha males are taller.  The Mayor is short and plump embodying the corruption, greed, and gluttony of politics. 

His eyes are hidden.  This signifies a villain or hidden agenda.  Breetai and T. R. Edwards have faceplates which signifies a villain.  They are disfigured physically as well as spiritually. 

Robotech seems to preach a healthy work/life balance.

I’m a little surprised to see you included personality in this “design” analysis.  Usually, the focus is on the physical design only. 

The tall person as an alpha, the hidden eyes, and the disfigurement are common elements used to convey exactly what you saw in most cases.  The Mayor, though, I gotta argue - he strikes me more as the fat = jolly stereotype than as fat = glutton. 

The healthy balance you mention is a good deduction.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 30 November 2018 10:52 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29
jeanie - 29 November 2018 02:48 PM

I’m a little surprised to see you included personality in this “design” analysis.  Usually, the focus is on the physical design only. 

The tall person as an alpha, the hidden eyes, and the disfigurement are common elements used to convey exactly what you saw in most cases.  The Mayor, though, I gotta argue - he strikes me more as the fat = jolly stereotype than as fat = glutton. 

The healthy balance you mention is a good deduction.

Thank you again for all your excellent replies.

I threw in a little personality analysis for a little fun and enjoyment.  Also, sometimes I just can’t resist Lol!

I suppose I am doing a composite of the politician in the limousine with Captain Gloval in the first episode and the Mayor of Macross aboard the SDF-1.

Posted: 30 November 2018 10:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

In Part 6 of 6 I used Janice Em and Ariel as evidence for Contradictory Characters in Robotech.  I suppose a character design analysis of all the characters in The Shadow Chronicles would also fit here in Part 5 of 6.  The heroes and protagonists all have extreme buffness and buxomness implying good health and virility.  The villainous Haydonites are featureless disembodied ghouls.  Perhaps subconsciously, Tommy Yune chose The Haydonites as the next villain because they are featureless.  This could be seen as symbolic of a hidden agenda or ulterior motive.

Posted: 30 November 2018 12:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5648
Joined  2007-04-08

[quote author=“Brofessor” date=“1543604184” Perhaps subconsciously, Tommy Yune chose The Haydonites as the next villain because they are featureless.  This could be seen as symbolic of a hidden agenda or ulterior motive.

Oh, no doubt!

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.