Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Art Critique of Robotech:  Gender Studies/Female Character Analysis Part 3A of 6:  Romance in Robotech
Posted: 29 November 2018 11:46 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2018-11-29

Part 1 of 6:  The Tragic Incompatibility of Opposite Genders in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206919

Part 2 of 6:  The Effect of Love on Strong Female Characters in Robotech

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206920

Part 3A of 6:  Romance in Robotech

Third, some recurring patterns in relationships or romantic interests exist in Robotech.  The amorous couples all have a romantic tension and the female is often the same archetype.  The female is very confident and self-aware of her feminine powers.  The female is in the position to allow physical intimacy at a time and place of her choosing while the male waits patiently.  The couples I am alluding to are Rick and Minmei of The Macross Saga, Lisa and Rick of The Sentinels, Max and Miriya, Marie and Sean, Rook and Rand, Jack Baker and Karen Penn, and finally, Marcus Rush and Maia Sterling.  Some of these couples may have unrequited, unconsummated, or platonic love. Some caveats are Miriya is not aware of what love really is, but she does initially feel she can dominate Max in physical combat.  Minmei is initially completely unaware of her power over Rick and the viewer can only suppose she eventually realizes her allure.  Lisa of The Macross Saga is a bit insecure, but she does have rank over Rick.  Later, in The Sentinels, Lisa is transformed into the female archetype I am referencing in this paragraph.  Gnea, Bela, Musica, and Minmei are all completely unaware of the feminine power they exert over the men around them.

There is symbolism in Max and Miriya’s physical confrontation with knives.  This is a sword fight and Max subdues Miriya through the prowess of his weapon.  Miriya is disarmed of her pseudo weapon appendage and embraces her true female form.  This may be commentary on orientation.  Miriya leaves behind her all female Zentreadi society and embraces a new orientation.  Later, their conjugal relations produce Dana.  In the new Titan Comics Issue 10 (spoiler alert) the imagery of sword fighting is re-contextualized and exaggerated in a new setting and timeline.  Likewise, Musica has an instrument or tool and co-exists with her sisters in supposed harmony.  However, she abandons her instrument and joins Bowie.  This may also symbolize switching a character’s orientation.

On the subject of physical attraction, Robotech also alludes to the celibate ascetic.  Captain Gloval seems to be celibate.  Dr. Lang is also celibate and possibly slightly warped and misogynistic when he creates Janice Em.  Janice Em is a gynoid which is a female android.  Lisa, Claudia, and Scott all attempt to be celibate ascetics after losing loved ones.  Perhaps even Rook, Marie, Nova, and Karen Penn are celibate ascetics.  Miriya is celibate but initially so are all male and female Zentreadi.  There is a subtle message suggesting if the viewer channels their libido into their career, this will yield higher productivity.  At the end of The Macross Saga, the entire bridge crew is killed except for Lisa.  With the death of Roy, the entire bridge crew can be seen as celibate, untouched, and pure.  They are noble saints martyred for Lisa’s chance at true love.

While we are on the topic of physical relations, the Zentreadi are asexual clones with isolated genders, the Masters are celibate immortals with populations of clones in same-sex triumvirate sibling groupings, and the Invid are a strange hive species with a single female Queen and the female Princesses Sera and Ariel.  The Invid also seem asexual or only requiring a single fertilization of the Queen by the Regent.  Later, Tommy Yune turned the cyborg-esque Haydonites into villains.  I assume the Haydonites do not partake in carnal relations.  Apparently, Zor and the micronians are the only characters consummating their love.

On the subject of clones The Macross Saga shows the Zentreadi as clones and their ability to be micronized or restored to full size.  The Masters episodes portray clones and dismembered body parts of clones.  The Invid are protoplasmic.  The Robotech Comic Clone/Mordecai involves odd clones referred to as spleens.  They seem to be subnormal clones created for organ harvesting.  There is a vague Goth erotica underpinning the entire Clone Comic series.  The spleens almost seem to be fetishized gimps or submissives within a sadomasochistic framework while the main characters are the doms.  The Invid also portray a sort of BDSM (bondage discipline/dominance sadomasochism/submissive).  The Regent and Regess seem to enjoy abusing their subordinates.  The new Titan Comic (spoiler alert) veers into BDSM in disciplining Khyron with a spreader bar restraint.  There seems to be a running theme professing the benefits of healthy physical manifestations of love in Robotech while the villains are warped in this capacity.

There is also a theme of cuckolding in Robotech.  Nova cuckolds Dana and Annie cuckolds Lunk.  Within the Rick-Minmei-Lisa love triangle, Minmei cuckolds Lisa and later Lisa cuckolds Minmei.  Minmei also cuckolds Rick as she seemingly leads him on but won’t commit throughout the series and later cuckolds Rick with Lynn Kyle.  Azonia is cuckolded by Minmei.  The Regess cuckolds the Regent.  In a way, Zor cuckolds his elders by sending the SDF-1 to Earth.

Please Continue to Part 3B of 6

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206922

Posted: 29 November 2018 02:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5648
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 29 November 2018 11:46 AM

Miriya is disarmed of her pseudo weapon appendage and embraces her true female form.  This may be commentary on orientation.  However, she abandons her instrument and joins Bowie.  This may also symbolize switching a character’s orientation.

While we are on the topic of physical relations, the Zentreadi are asexual clones with isolated genders, the Masters are celibate immortals with populations of clones in same-sex triumvirate sibling groupings, and the Invid are a strange hive species with a single female Queen and the female Princesses Sera and Ariel.  The Invid also seem asexual or only requiring a single fertilization of the Queen by the Regent. 

The Invid also portray a sort of BDSM (bondage discipline/dominance sadomasochism/submissive).  The Regent and Regess seem to enjoy abusing their subordinates.  The new Titan Comic veers into BDSM in disciplining Khyron with a spreader bar restraint.  There seems to be a running theme professing the benefits of healthy physical manifestations of love in Robotech while the villains are warped in this capacity.

Nova cuckolds Dana and Annie cuckolds Lunk.  Minmei cuckolds Lisa and later Lisa cuckolds Minmei.  Minmei cuckolds Rick with Lynn Kyle.  Azonia is cuckolded by Minmei.  The Regess cuckolds the Regent.  In a way, Zor cuckolds his elders by sending the SDF-1 to Earth.

https://robotech.com/forums/viewthread/2206922

I think it’s a stretch to compare Miriya and Musica discovering love and sex to changing orientation.  It’s more akin to puberty - the awakening of the body and mind to those things.
They do come from societies with no concept of love, after all. 

The BDSM angle is interesting.  The apparent sexual pleasure taken in the abuse of others is one of the reasons I so loathe Negan on The Walking Dead.  However, I"d like to point out that BDSM can be a “healthy physical manifestation of love” if done by consenting adults. 

Cuckolding can only occur in a committed relationship, something that is absent from almost every example you’ve given.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 30 November 2018 10:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29
jeanie - 29 November 2018 02:24 PM

I think it’s a stretch to compare Miriya and Musica discovering love and sex to changing orientation.  It’s more akin to puberty - the awakening of the body and mind to those things.
They do come from societies with no concept of love, after all. 

The BDSM angle is interesting.  The apparent sexual pleasure taken in the abuse of others is one of the reasons I so loathe Negan on The Walking Dead.  However, I"d like to point out that BDSM can be a “healthy physical manifestation of love” if done by consenting adults. 

Cuckolding can only occur in a committed relationship, something that is absent from almost every example you’ve given.

Puberty or personal growth is a very good analogy for Miriya and Musica as opposed to switching orientation.  However, one cannot ignore the symbolism of each surrendering a tool or instrument and embracing a penetration of new ideas and concepts.  Also, they each abandon a mono-gender group.

I suppose I am making an assumption of BDSM being warped or villainous Lol!

On the subject of cuckolding you are correct.  I am torn between presenting a strong argument and initiating conversation and momentum in the world of Robotech fandom.  Thus, I try to spark debate with some colorful language.  The Regess does cuckold the Regent.  The other examples I provide are closer to betrayals, jealousies, and natural courting behaviours.

Posted: 12 December 2018 01:43 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-11-29

In regards to romance in Robotech, another interesting symbol is the Flower of Life itself.  A flower is generally viewed as the female reproductive organ of a plant as seen in Georgia O’Keefe paintings.  In a sense, every female micronian has a flower of life and every male has a stamen producing pollen.  Zor upsets the balance of the universe by tinkering with the Flower of Life as he likewise tinkered with the Regis.  In fact, some claim protoculture is obtained by inhibiting mitosis or seed germination and collecting the energy from this tension.  In micronians, this is referred to as the Hindu practice of tantric relations which is the slow build to a climax which never arrives and thus amplifies the experience.  The entire Robotech saga is fueled by the tension of a flower or seed trying to reproduce.

Posted: 12 December 2018 03:01 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5648
Joined  2007-04-08
Brofessor - 12 December 2018 01:43 PM

The entire Robotech saga is fueled by the tension of a flower or seed trying to reproduce.

You are correct!  Never thought about it that way…  you sure do a lot of thinking about this stuff.  Not complaining at all, just making the observation.  Some might say you’re over-thinking it, that it’s just a cartoon or a show or whatever, but I’m enjoying your insights even when I gotta argue with them.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.