Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
What was the canonical final fate of VF-1S 001 (Skull One)
Posted: 28 October 2018 09:30 PM  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1135
Joined  2001-02-15

The VF-1S 001 Skull One Veritech Fighter is perhaps the most famous personal combat mecha of the entire ROBOTECH saga, piloted in turn by Roy Fokker and Rick Hunter (and depending on the media, perhaps even Max Sterling at one point).  What is now the canonical fate of the Skull One?  Was it permanently dismantled for research purposes between the end of the First Robotech War and the launching of the SDF-3 as seen in a Wildstorm ROBOTECH comic over a decade ago?  Was it showcased at a war museum in Monument City until it was destroyed either during the Robotech Masters or the Invid invasions?  Was it taken on the SDF-3 to continue its service life as part of the Robotech Expeditionary Force’s complement of Veritech Fighters?

Posted: 28 October 2018 11:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43072
Joined  2001-02-16

As far as the TV series goes: unknown.

In the Sentinels comics Rick Hunter uses the old Skull One to join Max and other fighter pilots battling the Regent’s forces over Tirol (which is pretty stupid considering his rank, and the outdated design of Skull One).

In recent comics however: Rick Flies the Skull One for one last time before it is dismantled. As the oldest VF-1 Valkyrie Veritech fighter in existence, it was going to be examined for study into how Veritech fighters handle longevity.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 11 November 2018 05:41 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1759
Joined  2001-01-30
Megalord1 - 28 October 2018 11:47 PM

As far as the TV series goes: unknown.

In the Sentinels comics Rick Hunter uses the old Skull One to join Max and other fighter pilots battling the Regent’s forces over Tirol (which is pretty stupid considering his rank, and the outdated design of Skull One).

In recent comics however: Rick Flies the Skull One for one last time before it is dismantled. As the oldest VF-1 Valkyrie Veritech fighter in existence, it was going to be examined for study into how Veritech fighters handle longevity.

Since this is hardcore subforum, we can safely concluded, Wildstorm Robotech comic series are canon.

So the fate of VF-1S 001 (Skull One) in Robotech: From The Stars comic miniseries was being dismantled for the development of new generation of Veritech Fighter.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 12 November 2018 08:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2001-07-21

That seems like a sad fate for one of the most famous mecha in Robotech history.  I would think that it would be in a museum on display as a tribute to the sacrifice and greatness of its pilots.
Twich

Signature 

“Talk softly, but carry a big stick!” -Roosevelt"An armed society is a polite society” -Robert
Heinlein
—-To thine own self, be true!

Posted: 14 November 2018 01:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2001-01-30
twich - 12 November 2018 08:15 PM

That seems like a sad fate for one of the most famous mecha in Robotech history.  I would think that it would be in a museum on display as a tribute to the sacrifice and greatness of its pilots.
Twich

Agreed, but given the scarce resources of the Robotech Forces at the time, every scrap of metal that could be used would have to be.

Signature 

Piero!
Visit my Deviantart page at http://x1commander.deviantart.com/

Visit my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/x1commander

Posted: 16 November 2018 09:58 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43072
Joined  2001-02-16

Something that I just remembered.

In the MacKinney books covering the Maters segment, the VF-1S Skull One is mentioned as being a ‘gate guard’ for Fokker Base.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC