Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Questions about the Harmony Gold DVDs (missing stuff)
Posted: 28 October 2018 01:55 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2018-10-28

Hi,

Forgive me if this has been discussed before (it probably has), but I’ve searched on Google and couldn’t find anything about it. I just signed up here to ask this question as I’m sure someone here will know the answer for sure.
I used to watch this series in the mid-1980s in my country. It was dubbed to my native language, but otherwise the same as the original TV version of the U.S. Harmony Gold Robotech series.
I recently wanted to watch it again after all these years, so I purchased the Region 1 set ROBOTECH: THE MACROSS SAGA. The first thing I noticed when starting to play the first DVD is that the intro is totally different. Some scenes are the same, but many have been replaced with random scenes from the series. What is the reason for this? Were Harmony Gold not able to acquire the rights to some of the material from the original shows used for Robotech and therefore had to use random footage in place of some of the scenes when reconstructing it for DVD, or what?
I also noticed the credits during the introduction looks nothing like the original. The fonts are different, the credits appear in different locations, there are new sound effects and cross faded fonts and shadowy effects, etc. Basically not much looks the same.
Even if the entire intro was reconstructed from scratch (or were these changes deliberate?), it looks as if Harmony Gold did not even try to make the intro identical to the original one.
I haven’t really watched the show yet, because these changes annoyed me greatly, but I’m fixing to watch it soon. Anyways, I’ll ask this too, just so I’ll know what to look out for: Since the intro is so different, can I expect the show itself being the same way? Random changes here and there? If yes, what changes were made?

Last question: Is there any DVD version of Robotech (in any country) that does include the original show and opening / credits etc? I noticed there are many editions of the show, in many countries (UK, Germany, France, Russia etc) - are they all 100% identical (apart from the language track) and are all based on the U.S. DVD edition with the fake intro?
Are all U.S. releases of Robotech the same or do some differ in any shape or form?
I found some DVD release for sale on Amazon called “ROBOTECH: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION VOLUME 1” which contains (according to the front cover) “Original U.S. Broadcast Version”, but it says not available. It’s also not on eBay. Was this set never released or what? If yes, where can I get it—and if I buy this, do I get the classic intro? Was there more than Volume 1 released?

Thanks for reading and I’d appreciate any answers to my questions from you experts.

Posted: 28 October 2018 02:22 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1980
Joined  2001-01-30

The Legacy Collection boxes have the original version but they don’t use the remastered video.

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 28 October 2018 09:11 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

Some of the later editions have special credits.  You probably have one of those.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 28 October 2018 03:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-10-28

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I believe I have the “Remastered” set. Big mistake of me to buy that.
So “The Legacy Collection” is the only one that contains the original intro, including the right fonts, sound effects etc., nothing has been changed at all? Is this the correct set? https://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Macross-Saga-Legacy-Collection/dp/B00005BJEF

Posted: 28 October 2018 08:50 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1980
Joined  2001-01-30

Yes, Legacy is the one with the real Robotech credits and sound effects. There are 7 boxes. Early releases of them may have misprints or bad discs. The gold box volume 7 says there’s Robocon 10 footage when there isn’t.

Signature 

get a job
The Bioroids have just begun to fight.

Posted: 29 October 2018 03:02 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2018-10-28
Rand - 28 October 2018 08:50 PM

Yes, Legacy is the one with the real Robotech credits and sound effects. There are 7 boxes. Early releases of them may have misprints or bad discs. The gold box volume 7 says there’s Robocon 10 footage when there isn’t.

Thank you so much for the information! I’ll hunt down a used set and check it out.

Posted: 28 July 2021 03:19 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2021-01-17

I noticed that the lyrics were different everywhere, the credits appeared in different places. But the sound and shadow effects looked organic overall. What I can’t say about the background.

Posted: 28 July 2021 04:00 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2021-01-29

For me, details like backgrounds and fonts are very important. Therefore, I always pay attention to this, and in preparing projects I always experiment and carefully select it. I found a cool source that helps a lot in choosing fonts https://masterbundles.com/fun-fonts-best-free-premium-fun-fonts/ Fancy and designer fonts especially complement the look of any of my projects.

Posted: 22 October 2023 11:29 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2022-09-03

The Importance of Compliance: Navigating Business Regulations” underscores the critical role that adherence to regulations plays in the business world. Operating a successful business requires a keen understanding of various legal and industry-specific rules, from tax codes to environmental standards. Selecting one of the top gold ira providers is a prudent step when safeguarding your retirement investments and ensuring financial security for the future. This resource sheds light on why compliance is vital, highlighting its potential to prevent legal issues, protect reputation, and foster trust among stakeholders. It delves into the challenges that businesses may encounter while striving to meet these regulations and offers guidance on effective compliance strategies. Emphasizing the need for proactive measures, it explores the consequences of non-compliance, which can include fines, legal complications, and damaged brand integrity. By navigating business regulations effectively, companies can thrive in a compliant, responsible, and sustainable manner.