Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Voltron: Legendary Defender
Posted: 05 February 2018 08:36 AM  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2002-06-25

Maybe I just like this one because one of my oldest friends (as in I met him back in 1st grade and now we’re in our mid-40s) works on this show for Dreamworks…

My children love Pokemon, which is weird to me because I thought I missed that fad but it made a comeback.  This gave them a bit of an eye for the type of animation from overseas.  I used this to introduce them to Voltron.  Strangely I wasn’t huge on Voltron when it was out when I was a kid.  I watched it, but not in any linear form and not as loyally as Robotech.  I do like this re-imagined version.  My kids even have the lions to form Voltron. 

Still iffy on if they’ll like Robotech.  They’re not as into the storylines as I was (I was a weird kid who overanalyzed everything).  I still have my DVDs from before.  I used to have the entire saga on VHS tape from the days I worked for a place called Suncoast Motion Picture company and stole most of them (hey, I was a stupid teenager… if it makes you feel better I was eventually fired.  It was well over 25 years ago!).

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 08 February 2018 03:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2001-01-30

I’ve been enjoying every season so far.  I would be completely ok if Dreamworks were to redo Robotech with this level of dedication.  Most of the episodes have been very enjoyable, and I’m glad with how it pays homage to the original, without being a blatant copy of it.

Signature 

Piero!
Visit my Deviantart page at http://x1commander.deviantart.com/

Visit my Youtube page at http://www.youtube.com/user/x1commander

Posted: 12 February 2018 08:32 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-06-25

It’s weird that I DID watch Voltron every so often when it was on, but never really got into it the way I did Robotech.  I saw individual episodes of Voltron here and there and never really knew a lot about the linear storyline.  Robotech, I knew back and forth though.  I’ve watched the new Voltron with much more interest.  I like the added humor and the modernization of the entire thing.  I wonder if I would have ever even started watching it if my friend hadn’t recommended it to me since he was working on it.  Wow… I’m old…

Working three jobs keeps me busy, so I’m glad we have streaming services today and I don’t have to be home at a certain time to watch shows like in the old days.

Signature 

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 06 March 2018 10:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

Voltron the Legendary Defender by Netflix is a reboot done right.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 06 March 2018 10:44 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2018-02-21

I’m actually kind of interested in this show. Is it worth checking out by someone who didn’t like the original Voltron?

Signature 

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AnimeSpellweaver
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/nbaucom

Posted: 22 March 2018 04:30 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-06-25
NBaucom - 06 March 2018 10:44 PM

I’m actually kind of interested in this show. Is it worth checking out by someone who didn’t like the original Voltron?

It’s very different from the 80s version.  The characters from the 80s cartoon are used more as a template for the ones on the Netflix show.  The plot is similar, but not totally the same either.  It has the anime feel with a LOT of United States style humor.  Again, since one of my oldest friends works on the show I watched it literally because he asked me to since I was promoting it.  I did wind up liking it quite a bit though.  It’s now 5 seasons in so it’ll keep your viewing occupied for awhile.

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2018 03:07 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2018-02-21
Cube - 22 March 2018 04:30 AM
NBaucom - 06 March 2018 10:44 PM

It’s very different from the 80s version.  The characters from the 80s cartoon are used more as a template for the ones on the Netflix show.  The plot is similar, but not totally the same either.  It has the anime feel with a LOT of United States style humor.  Again, since one of my oldest friends works on the show I watched it literally because he asked me to since I was promoting it.  I did wind up liking it quite a bit though.  It’s now 5 seasons in so it’ll keep your viewing occupied for awhile.

I’m glad to hear it. I always liked Voltron as a concept, but the edits made to it are just too severe for me to truly enjoy it. I was ecstatic to hear Studio Mir animated LD, as I’m a big fan of their work on The Legend of Korra, as well as being produced by Joaquim Dos Santos. I’ll definitely be checking it out soon.

In addition, I also plan on watching the original Japanese Voltron, Beast King Golion, and seeing how I like it.

Signature 

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AnimeSpellweaver
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/nbaucom

Posted: 18 April 2018 05:29 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  724
Joined  2008-03-12

I love the re-imagining of this show!!!

Signature 

In order to be a good leader,one must learn how to follow.

If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Make the most of your oppuritunities because you’ll never when you’ll have another chance

Member of A.k.L.