Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
  Why does Harmony Gold put up Palladium books?
Posted: 05 November 2017 08:18 AM  
Private
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2017-07-23

I have been fan of Robotech since 1985 or 1986. I got hook on the show when got home from work ,it was fav soap opera type show for me. I then went to my Game hobby shop back in day and brought all the Robotech Rpg books and got hook on Battletech to. Let say I brought a lot stuff of Robotech like toys and games so on. I jump on the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter when it started 2013. I put in nice chunk of change for the pledge. Now I say its worst thing that I ever did. I know that Wave 2 never coming and Palladium books is going to drag this out for as long it want. The only thing that give me hope is some fan of the making their own playing mini for the game. I ’ am backer for this kickstarter and the bull crap from Palladium Books have been giving us is a crime. I gave them the benefit of doubt but after Savage World Rift Kickstarter which Palladium Books pushed and all update for Robotech Tactics Rpg KS before the end of Savage World Rift KS. When Savage World Rift KS ended so did all updates Robotech Tactics Rpg KS nothing but silence from Palladium books after that. Now I wash my hand that Palladium Books will never complete Wave 2 ,they are to blame for all the negativity to Robotech Tactics Rpg KS of their handle of it. I think Harmony Gold needs drop Palladium Books from license of the IP . Harmony Gold need to find a lot better company then Palladium Books. What needed is a company that have passion and love for Robotech because I don’t think Palladium Books care about Robotech at all. That all for now for my rant.

Posted: 10 November 2017 07:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  13452
Joined  2005-10-21

Dezoat;

Palladium has been with Robotech since the 80s as well. They have supported us fans when, even HG, forgot we existed. We were here when Palladium went through one of it’s toughest times and WE, the fans made the decision to stand by Palladium when HG was asking whether to pull the license and go somewhere else. I can not speak for other fans, but I will say that I am hugely impressed by the honesty, humility, and gratitude that Palladium has shown us fans for that support. Now, Palladium is rebuilding from the disaster that nearly destroyed their company and that has affected their products. In all honesty, there is no way it couldn’t affect them. Yet, even at their worst, they are STILL striving to support us by putting every effort into Robotech, when they honestly have more profitable products in their library. While things are not going smoothly, they ARE NOTICEABLY putting forth an effort when they are at their worst. So, as they choose to support Robotech and it’s fandom, I will stand to support them, even when I wish they could do better. Why? Because, unlike others, I can see that they ARE making an honest effort on my behalf and on behalf of all Robotech fans who refused to loose this member of our family.

Signature 

- 85ER -
MEMBER OF D.O.M.A.D.
CAG OF THE D.O.L.

- Carl Macek, to the stars and beyond time, you are not forgotten -

Posted: 12 November 2017 11:03 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2007-09-04
DEZOAT - 05 November 2017 08:18 AM

I have been fan of Robotech since 1985 or 1986. I got hook on the show when got home from work ,it was fav soap opera type show for me. I then went to my Game hobby shop back in day and brought all the Robotech Rpg books and got hook on Battletech to. Let say I brought a lot stuff of Robotech like toys and games so on. I jump on the Robotech Tactics Kickstarter when it started 2013. I put in nice chunk of change for the pledge. Now I say its worst thing that I ever did. I know that Wave 2 never coming and Palladium books is going to drag this out for as long it want. The only thing that give me hope is some fan of the making their own playing mini for the game. I ’ am backer for this kickstarter and the bull crap from Palladium Books have been giving us is a crime. I gave them the benefit of doubt but after Savage World Rift Kickstarter which Palladium Books pushed and all update for Robotech Tactics Rpg KS before the end of Savage World Rift KS. When Savage World Rift KS ended so did all updates Robotech Tactics Rpg KS nothing but silence from Palladium books after that. Now I wash my hand that Palladium Books will never complete Wave 2 ,they are to blame for all the negativity to Robotech Tactics Rpg KS of their handle of it. I think Harmony Gold needs drop Palladium Books from license of the IP . Harmony Gold need to find a lot better company then Palladium Books. What needed is a company that have passion and love for Robotech because I don’t think Palladium Books care about Robotech at all. That all for now for my rant.

I agree.
But the wrongdoing of Palladium extends onto its main works: RPG games.
As an avid RPG player, I bought the old version of the RPG in the far 1991.
While the art was top notch (at least Kevin Long’s art, the other authors -including Siembieda himself- were so meh), all the books were filled with a monumental amount of errata, the highest point localized in the new generation book.
What myself and my friends found inexcusable was the lack of edited new prints: Palladium reprinted books upon books with the same mistakes, sometimes graciously adding some clarification in subsequent books.
Then, when Shadow Chronicles revamped the interest for Robotech, HG signed a new deal with Palladium.
I bought the new RPG book and was utterly shocked to see that, under a new coat of paint, the game was essentially the same.
They corrected the most insulting mistakes, but the mechanics are still the same awkward ones.
This “new” RPG is the embellished 20-years-old style RPG game.
While I’m aware of all the troubles Palladium went through, as Rhade pointed out, and while I’d never wish this fate to anybody, I still believe Palladium is an unworthy RPG creator.
Good will and loyalty, even when present, can’t compensate.
Nostalgia is good only for the good things, not the embarrassing ones.

Posted: 13 November 2017 11:59 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2001-11-11

This is the million dollar question.
I bought all the Robotech RPG books back in the late 80’s, as well as many toys, models, action figures, and miniatures. I enjoyed the game, but it had many flaws in the working system. They never did completely address the many errors that did not work well. It was a big disappointment when many of the same errors kept repeating in the reprints even after being noted by them. The company would not give full support to Robotech and other game systems unless it was for the Rifts.
It was bad when Palladium suffered some problems that nearly wiped the company out. But the company did not learn from the errors of the past and instead have been doing short cuts in their products to keep their Rifts line alive.
When they were given the chance to continue working on the Robotech franchise by Harmony Gold, I also gave them a second chance to get it done right. I bought the RTT game on Kickstarter and looked forward to the miniatures that would be helped developed with Ninja Division. When the first wave was coming out, Palladium decided to sell the sets at the shows first instead of sending to the backers. They claimed that a majority of the backers supported it, but I could find very few that really voted for it. Then the second wave has been put on indefinite hold with many excuses for three years. I do not understand why Harmony Gold or Kickstarter has not bothered to ask questions as to what happened because the support for Robotech is getting an unnecessary black eye. Palladium has printed some new books but it still is lacking in its promise to support the Robotech RPG.
Still hoping the situation will improve, but after 4 years, it looks bleak.
Most of this is a rant to let off steam but I am still concerned.

Posted: 16 November 2017 10:59 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-05-29

Palladium makes some of the best terrible RPGs you will ever find. I know -I have a few dozen on my bookshelf. While I must credit them for getting me into RPGs (or maybe my love of TMNT and Robotech comics getting me to buy the awful Palladium books) there are so many better options these days that would actually capture the cinematic feel of the show.

I don’t mean to bag on Palladium -I have very warm feelings for RIFTS and the like. I cut my gaming teeth on their products.

FATE Worlds: Worlds In Shadow has a game in it called “Camelot Trigger” -basically a way to play the giant 80s mecha game of your choice. Or all of them at once. Voltron. Gundam. Voltron team up with Gundam, etc.

If that’s not enough crunch for you, then maybe a Savage Worlds hack? Still very fast and cinematic, and the SW Heavy Armor rules make so much more sense than Mega-Damage ever did. I ran several RIFTS games using Savage Worlds before they actually had the license for that ip, and it was hella-fun. 

PS: speaking of Palladium, and Mega Dumb Cast listeners here? It’s hilarious!

Posted: 16 November 2017 04:28 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5620
Joined  2007-04-08

Harmony Gold does not care if it’s crap, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 17 November 2017 08:01 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-05-29
jeanie - 16 November 2017 04:28 PM

Harmony Gold does not care if it’s crap, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Honestly, that’s not an unreasonable stance to take for Harmony Gold, if it’s true. Even successful RPGs bring in so little money after production and distribution costs are met that I doubt it’s worth their time worrying about it at all.

Posted: 18 November 2017 02:34 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2007-09-04

The problem here it’s not money, I don’t think the Robotech brand had become so unappealing over time they wouldn’t have found a RPG company even if they prayed for it.

What troubles me the most is they gave the rights to the same company that did a work so lousy that we needed the “antikevs” (the name is a jab at Kevin Siembieda, the owner, editor and, sadly, main RPG writer of Palladium Games).

Posted: 23 November 2017 08:37 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Private
Joined  2017-07-23
rhade - 10 November 2017 07:37 PM

Dezoat;

Palladium has been with Robotech since the 80s as well. They have supported us fans when, even HG, forgot we existed. We were here when Palladium went through one of it’s toughest times and WE, the fans made the decision to stand by Palladium when HG was asking whether to pull the license and go somewhere else. I can not speak for other fans, but I will say that I am hugely impressed by the honesty, humility, and gratitude that Palladium has shown us fans for that support. Now, Palladium is rebuilding from the disaster that nearly destroyed their company and that has affected their products. In all honesty, there is no way it couldn’t affect them. Yet, even at their worst, they are STILL striving to support us by putting every effort into Robotech, when they honestly have more profitable products in their library. While things are not going smoothly, they ARE NOTICEABLY putting forth an effort when they are at their worst. So, as they choose to support Robotech and it’s fandom, I will stand to support them, even when I wish they could do better. Why? Because, unlike others, I can see that they ARE making an honest effort on my behalf and on behalf of all Robotech fans who refused to loose this member of our family.

First off I like thank all you for posting on this. Now rhade I just want say that Palladium Books got into Robotech in the late 80s their peak with Robotech was the 90s. You also forgotten mention when Palladium let licence lapse for Robotech for a while. PB claim they forgot , I ‘ll give them that for all the problem they had. But what have they done not whole hell of a lot. 3 books since 2012 and Robotech Tactics RPG game Kickstarter which raised $1.4 mil and 5,000 plus backer. The backer are still waiting for wave 2 which they paid for. I know that wave 2 is not coming because the cost is alway going up not down. So the question from backer is where is the money and how was it spent. What so sad here is Kickstarter should have been hit out of the park with money and backing on this. The only hope I see is fans of game are doing it themselves to get the missing minis for the game. Robotech have rich Universe to play in as Battletech. Well , read from a lot places on the internet HG and PB were made for each other so this thread is useless. Oh well.

Posted: 02 December 2017 05:06 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2003-01-16

I’d like to know as well why HG is putting up with a license holder that is not delivering on promises, owes a lot of fans product or money, is obviously lying and damaging the Robotech brand.

Is it true that Palladium’s license expires soon?  If so, HG should hold them accountable.
Something should be done in response to the more than 5,000 fans that have effectively had their money stolen by a license holder. 

Posted: 15 February 2018 11:21 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2002-06-25

My friends from high school/early college and I had tried playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for awhile, but our campaign never really took off like it could have. It was fun, but we preferred other games.  One of the guys had found the Macross Saga book from the Palladium RPG and we started a campaign for about a year.  We were getting older and had mostly played Dungeons and Dragons (this was the 80s, so we were considered potential satanists) and Marvel Super Heroes through jr. high and high school.  We eventually found the New Generation book and started a campaign there as well that was actually going pretty well.  By then we were beginning to go our separate ways though.  I was in college with two of the other guys from our group (one was a year older).  Our other longtime friend had joined the army right out of high school and was leaving soon.  Another was 2 years younger than us, but joined the Navy out of high school and we rarely saw him after that.  We even worked his character’s disappearance into the campaign by having him trapped on a Zentraedi vessel when it folded.  I handled it by saying that he’d been living in the lower decks for months when he came back after basic training or to visit.

I ordered the Sentinels book and it had many great characters and races, but we never actually played it.  I think I wound up with all of the books when everyone moved away.  I’ll have to go through my bins later.  My wife let me keep my old stuff, but doesn’t let me have it all over the house.  When our friend who joined the army moved back home for a few years he brought Rifts with him.  He and I were the only two left at that point (the two college friends moved away—one to the army after college and the other to Austin, TX though he’s back now).  He’d gotten married while stationed in Hawai’i and we’d meet at his house and play.  He’d made a few new friends who were okay guys, but more his friends than mine.  Eventually he moved back to Hawai’i when his marriage was breaking up so the Rifts campaign we’d built had died.  I had just bought the Undersea Adventures (or something like that) Rifts book and to this day never got to use it.  I did run this one story where an alien race had invaded the earth and it turned out they were Invid Shock Troopers… which only my one friend recognized.  He eventually divorced and stayed in Hawai’i for years before moving to New Mexico and later Colorado.

This was in the 90s so there wasn’t social media to keep us in contact.  Today with the magic of Facebook, Twitter, etc. I keep up with them and know where they are.  We’re all married (some of them multiple times) with kids now.  The one that went to the army, as I mentioned, remarried and is in Colorado.  The one that joined the navy was in San Diego, Guam and North Chicago (????) and is now back home but I rarely see him since I work 3 jobs and he has his own family.  The other two who went to college with me also have their own thing now.  One is in Victoria, TX which is the opposite side of the state from me.  The last is here, but has a job where he travels twice per month so he’s rarely around.  Pretty much we’re thankful Facebook keeps us in touch. 

I think now I’ll look through my bin when I get home to see if I can find the books.  My kids would probably never use them.  Today pencil and paper games are in the past.  Everyone’s into tablets and game consoles.  Thinking back we were those weird dorks who played that Satanic game that drove people crazy… but in the end we were literally writing a book and creating characters along with our own world.  I never thought we were creative until I thought back and realized we literally made languages and supporting characters to go along with them.

So TMNT, Robotech, Rifts… all pretty much the same game with a few changes…

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 18 February 2018 10:28 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3251
Joined  2001-03-13
DEZOAT - 05 November 2017 08:18 AM

Personally I wasn’t to wild about the mini’s game idea.  I saw it as a needless distraction that just put more on Palladium’s plate*.  That said, I don’t fully blame Palladium for the Mini’s fiasco since another company was involved (Ninja Division).

*They maintain several game lines, not just Robotech.  And to get anything printed for Robotech they need writer(s) and approval from Harmony Gold on the final product.  I haven’t seen UEEF Marines personally, but from what I’ve heard on the PB board doesn’t thrill me with wanting to get it with all the issues.  Some of Palladium’s other lines have languished over the years, and it doesn’t help that PB puts out at most 1 book every 3-4 months IINM and that doesn’t count the Rifter (which they get out pretty regularly IINM as it’s supposed to be quarterly).

Something to consider though is how many RPG companies even have an interest in picking up RT, even back when the license was available?  And how many have a good track record?  How much freedom to create is HG willing to give.  With no new material really coming out from HG that sort of limits what the RPG can create if they aren’t willing to allow them to. You might only end up with 4 books (1 for each saga).

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 02 April 2018 03:47 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  667
Joined  2001-04-15

It’s all over now but PBs liquidation on their Robotech stuff. PB dragged it out until the license ran out.

Signature 

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

Posted: 07 April 2018 09:57 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Private
Joined  2017-07-23

Well it looks like where ever you read about this debacle of a Kickstarter it so sad. One thing ND stated that whole game was ready to go but PB change everything and messed up big time by over producing Wave 1 stock which doom them. They were very greedy . Oh one thing for those who wish to blame ND for this. Why didn’t Kevin Siembieda sue the crap out of ND for not doing their job. Why did they lie to all the backer for three years that Wave 2 was coming and when Wave 1 came they had no money to finish Wave 2. I just read week ago from someone on facebook who got answer from HG about what went done with HG and PB , one HG try to help PB with free extension to the license and contact to manufacturer to help complete Wave 2. PB fail on it. So HG refuse the license PB, the funny thing this same guy who got answer from HG last year and stated that they would bring in some new company in if PB didn’t get Wave 2 out. Strange Machine and Solar Flare game pop up last year. Well it done or is it?

Posted: 14 April 2018 07:42 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-01-10

I was a backer of the Kickstarter and because of the problems I swore off ever purchasing anything from PB ever again. I am glad that they no longer have the license, but sad at the same time, while the rpg books were silly, I really enjoyed the art in them and they were a source of Robotech during the lull of no new Robotech for awhile for me.

Posted: 24 April 2018 11:20 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2002-06-25

One problem with Palladium games was the fact that it took the equivalent of a full-time work shift (including lunch break) to roll up a character and pick skills.  I sometimes wish the TMNT campaign we started had been better.  The Robotech Macross and new Generation campaigns we started both worked out pretty well.  We’d have played longer had our group not gone their separate ways (curse you, adulthood!).  We still talk about it when we see each other and our wives all think we sound like morons.

My one good friend since kindergarten was the one who made a really elaborate Rifts campaign.  I wish it had involved more of the guys we grew up with rather than the newer crowd, but they were all moved away by that time.  The game was fun and I liked how I was able to integrate Robotech into it for one adventure.  I guess since I began with Dungeons & Dragons and later played Marvel Super Heroes I was used to a much simpler set of rules.

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

1 2 > 
1 of 2