1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
THE UDON ROBOTECH ART BOOK THREAD
Posted: 25 July 2017 12:50 PM  
Site Admin
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2004-09-29

Hello Everyone,

While the forums were down Harmony Gold signed a deal with Udon Studios to produce a new line of Robotech Artbooks! To be clear these art books are not a reprint of Robotech Art’s 1-3 rather they are a complete rebuild where each individual will focus on Macross, MAasters & New Generation.

UPDATE: Udon has issued a press release for the first artbook.

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/news/robotech-visual-archive-the-macross-saga-preview

ROBOTECH – THE GROUNDBREAKING MECHA ANIME RECEIVES THE ULTIMATE ART BOOK!

Robotech is a sweeping science-fiction anime epic in which humans use a vast arsenal of transforming robotic mecha to defend the Earth against alien domination. The franchise has captivated fans for over 30 years, and is widely credited with popularizing anime around the world. Now, UDON Entertainment has teamed up with Harmony Gold to produce ROBOTECH VISUAL ARCHIVE: THE MACROSS SAGA – the ultimate collection of artwork assembled from Robotech’s first and most iconic era.

This 248-page hardcover tome gathers classic mecha designs, dynamic character artwork, early roughs, key art, storyboards, character profiles, and more. Mecha designs are accompanied by detailed tech specs and armament info, as well as text write ups.  Additional material in the book includes a complete episode guide, an interview with Macross chief director Noboru Ishiguro, and a unique essay by Robotech producer Carl Macek on the development of the Robotech property and its place in anime history.

This book will be the first in a series of Robotech art books, with future volumes covering The Masters and The New Generation eras, as well as new material created to expand the Robotech universe for international audiences. ROBOTECH VISUAL ARCHIVE: THE MACROSS SAGA arrives in stores everywhere December 2017.

ROBOTECH VISUAL ARCHIVE: THE MACROSS SAGA
DETAILS: 248pg, 8.25×11.25”, Full Color, Hardcover
MSRP: $44.99USD
RELEASE DATE: December 2017
ISBN: 978-1772940596
DIAMOND CODE: JUN172052

https://robotech.com/store/product/robotech-visual-archive-macross-saga

We will make this the official thread.

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Signature 

Your BankofKev since 1998.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 25 July 2017 04:05 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2001-02-16

Really looking forward to these. I really loved the original versions. Any details?

Posted: 25 July 2017 05:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2017-07-24

Shiny! Looking forward to their release. Yes, please keep us updated.

Posted: 26 July 2017 03:21 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2001-02-21

Great to see new Artbooks coming! I love the originals and the idea of new ones is very exciting.

Two questions:

1. Will they also be available as ebooks/PDFs? I don’t buy physical print books anymore - but would still love to own them digitally.

2. Glad to hear that all three original sagas will get their own books, but how about a fourth book for the Sentinels? I remember reading an old interview with Carl Macek, where he said he had a treasure trove of old Sentinels production materials he/HG received from Tatsunoko after production ceased, and that he’d love to seeit published one day – so things like character model sheets, background paintings, mecha designs, storyboards and promotional artwork. This interview was long after the publication of Art3, so I don’t think he was referring the black & white illustrations already published in Art3.

Signature 

Last one to Tirol is a rotten egg!

Posted: 26 July 2017 10:30 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Site Admin
Joined  2004-09-29
cyclone5 - 26 July 2017 03:21 AM

Great to see new Artbooks coming! I love the originals and the idea of new ones is very exciting.

Two questions:

1. Will they also be available as ebooks/PDFs? I don’t buy physical print books anymore - but would still love to own them digitally.

2. Glad to hear that all three original sagas will get their own books, but how about a fourth book for the Sentinels? I remember reading an old interview with Carl Macek, where he said he had a treasure trove of old Sentinels production materials he/HG received from Tatsunoko after production ceased, and that he’d love to seeit published one day – so things like character model sheets, background paintings, mecha designs, storyboards and promotional artwork. This interview was long after the publication of Art3, so I don’t think he was referring the black & white illustrations already published in Art3.

Good questions. Not sure of the answers right now so let me do some digging and get back to you.

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2017 11:59 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2001-02-16

Count me as in favor of a Sentinels book as well.

Heck, I know HG doesn’t have the rights to MZ23, but I’d be in favor of adding Robotech: The Movie to the Sentinels book like the original Art 3 or to the Masters book.

Posted: 26 July 2017 03:26 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2001-02-17

I too would like to see art based on the Masters and Sentinels.

Posted: 26 July 2017 05:12 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2017-07-22

Ditto for a Sentinels book!

Posted: 27 July 2017 05:21 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2002-04-28

*cough*limitededitioncollectorsversionifyouplease*cough*

....I mean…. I know I can’t be the only one wanting one….. cheese

Signature 

Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans
-Thomas la Mance

Bill S Preston:  “...true wisdom comes from knowing that we know nothing…”

Ted ‘Theodore’ Logan:  “Thats US DUDE!!”

Posted: 01 August 2017 05:47 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2001-06-27

Amazon is taking orders for Udon’s first book now.

Robotech Visual Archive: The Macross Saga Hardcover – September 12, 2017

ROBOTECH is a sweeping science-fiction anime epic in which humans use a vast arsenal of transforming robotic mecha to defend the Earth against alien domination. The franchise has captivated fans for over 30 years, and is widely credited with popularizing anime around the world.

ROBOTECH VISUAL ARCHIVE: The Macross Saga is the ultimate collection of artwork gathered from Robotech’s first and beloved era ― The Macross Saga. Included in this epic tome are mecha designs, character artwork, pre-production concepts, key art, storyboards, a full episode guide, and more!

Signature 

Before you try to go outside and take in the view
Look Up! Because the sky could fall on *you*!

Posted: 01 August 2017 07:32 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-07-31

When are these going to be available?

Posted: 01 August 2017 07:51 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2001-06-27

Amazon lists the first one as September 12. So, not far away!

Signature 

Before you try to go outside and take in the view
Look Up! Because the sky could fall on *you*!

Posted: 09 August 2017 05:54 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2001-06-24

I knew I shouldn’t have checked back into these forums, it’s already costing me near $50. wink

Posted: 16 September 2017 08:14 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2001-06-24

Was this released? Every vendor I’ve checked shows it as unavailable.

Posted: 18 September 2017 03:09 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2001-06-24

New release date of 12/19/17.

Posted: 26 October 2017 12:04 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Site Admin
Joined  2004-09-29

Hi Everyone,

Udon has posted a preview of the new Robotech artbook.

Check out the preview here:

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/news/robotech-visual-archive-the-macross-saga-preview

Enjoy!

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Signature 

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3