Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
The reason why the Hulk’s movies don’t succeed like the others…
Posted: 24 April 2015 04:00 AM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2987
Joined  2002-12-07

The reason is simple why the Hulk’s solo films have been less successful than the other Marvel heroes yet he stole the show in the Avengers is because with all due respect to him he’s really a One-trick pony.

Meaning that all the other heroes have to do is point him in the right direction, say ‘Smash’ and cut him loose.

But while that worked in ‘The Avengers’ it doesn’t let him hold a whole movie by himself.

Dr. Banner is indeed a complex character, but his alter ego is just a Tank.

I think to make a franchise of Hulk movies work is to have other colorful protagonists support the movie with him and interact with him as Bruce Banner while the Hulk is reserved as the Deus aux Machina for them to either fight with or against.

Such candidates would be: Rick Jones, Doc Samson, Jennifer ‘She-Hulk’ Walters, etc.

What do the rest of you think?

His movies would be a great way of introducing other Marvel heroes and giving them their moment in the spotlight.

Signature 

Theres no denying it. Sammie & Annie are Mother & Daughter
Messiah of D.o.M.a.D. (Disciples of the Mother and Daughter = Sammie & Annie).
Whamhammer is my chief Disciple.

Posted: 24 April 2015 08:07 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  4191
Joined  2001-02-16

I disagree, I think the reason the Hulk movies don’t succeed is because the writers don’t know how to make the Hulk persona compelling.

Writing it off as “just a tank” is 99% of the problem.

Signature 

She’s speechless! -The Missing Link

She? -B.O.B.

Yes. We are in the prescence of the rare female monster. -Dr. Cockroach P.H.D.

No way! It’s a boy; look at his boobies! -B.O.B.

We need to have a talk. -The Missing Link

MSFC

Posted: 25 April 2015 08:25 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1273
Joined  2002-06-02

I haven’t seen either of the Hulk movies oddly enough, I kept hearing bad things about them. On the surface, it seems simple, a guy gets mad, turns green and big, and wrecks stuff. How could one mess that up?

But to label the Hulk as a ‘One-Trick Pony’ is to miss the point, I think. If he was such a thing, his comic wouldn’t have lasted this long. There are many facets to their personalities, both Banner and the Hulk. At times, the Hulk has been brutish, child-like, savage, intelligent, and in love.

Up till now, screenwriters seem to have been confused over what version of the Hulk to present to audiences. Whedon has presented a version that is close to some of his comic appearances and one that the audiences seem to love.

Signature 

Verda Gildr - ‘Become Worthy’

Posted: 25 April 2015 10:24 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

I’m not a fan of the superhero genre in general, but I will say the TV series of Hulk was pretty good.  Lots of exploration (for a TV show at the time) of what the poor guy dealt with.  Also it gave me the line “That’s a biological fact, not a relationship.”

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 25 April 2015 01:16 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2987
Joined  2002-12-07

That’s what they should have been doing.

They gave Banner character development and he was the resourceful thinking man in the TV shows both live-action and animated, but the Hulk had usually a single strategy; ‘Bash it til’ it breaks.’
That’s OK for a few laughs but it gets thin.
The Hulk should be treated like the Frankenstein’s monster as STAN LEE envisioned; a huge child that doesn’t know his own strength sometimes.

The moment when he went ‘Bamm-Bamm Rubble’ on Loki is proof of that. ^_^

Mark Ruffalo had it pegged, but he still had a great cast around him to bounce off of both intellectually and physically.

Signature 

Theres no denying it. Sammie & Annie are Mother & Daughter
Messiah of D.o.M.a.D. (Disciples of the Mother and Daughter = Sammie & Annie).
Whamhammer is my chief Disciple.