Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
Scarlett Johansson will star in Ghost in the Shell movie
Posted: 05 January 2015 12:22 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2099
Joined  2003-06-18

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7494305/scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-movie

Lets hope it doesn’t suck.

Signature 

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Posted: 05 January 2015 03:01 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1598
Joined  2001-02-16

I feel like ScarJo should be able to pull it off…my fear is the script.

Posted: 05 January 2015 04:34 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2002-07-12

I don’t think it should try to be exactly like the anime, although it should keep all of the technological elements and maintain the fundamental question of “Do Machines Have Souls?”

I love the idea of Jo as the Major, but I definitely think the character should be renamed to suit her (she probably should be called “the Major” more than anything else anyway, IMO).

Signature 

“Hello, my name is Human…”

Posted: 05 January 2015 11:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  4191
Joined  2001-02-16

I don’t think it should try to be exactly like the anime…

Well, wait, how different are we talking here?  Different enough to not really be Ghost in the Shell?

the fundamental question of “Do Machines Have Souls?”

Do androids dream of electric sheep?  :101:

Signature 

She’s speechless! -The Missing Link

She? -B.O.B.

Yes. We are in the prescence of the rare female monster. -Dr. Cockroach P.H.D.

No way! It’s a boy; look at his boobies! -B.O.B.

We need to have a talk. -The Missing Link

MSFC

Posted: 06 January 2015 05:58 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  2099
Joined  2003-06-18

You know, you will probably laugh at me, but when I saw the first Matrix movie at the cinema for the first time, all I could think about was that Hollywood could probably make a GITS movie.

I’m definitely going to hold thumbs, but I won’t let my hopes get up.

Signature 

The Original, Rick Hunter.

Posted: 06 January 2015 06:35 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2002-07-12

I don’t think it should try to be exactly like the anime…

Well, wait, how different are we talking here? Different enough to not really be Ghost in the Shell?

No, it should maintain or adapt the look and tone of GITS, but if some changes are made (like changing the ethnicities of some characters, upping the action quotient a bit, and using an original story rather than one used in the anime), then it should. Even though I think it could still be set in a futuristic Japan—especially one that’s more cosmopolitan—it could probably still work in a futuristic & teched-out New York that’s pretty cosmopolitan today if necessary.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2015 07:53 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1273
Joined  2002-06-02

I think Scarlett can pull it off, but how close or far will they stray from the original storyline? I’m interested to see who will play Batou now.

And does this mean we will get a live-action GITS before we ever get a live-action Akira?

Signature 

Verda Gildr - ‘Become Worthy’

Posted: 06 January 2015 10:27 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2002-07-12

And does this mean we will get a live-action GITS before we ever get a live-action Akira?

Pretty much, especially with Warner Bros. being the studio behind it. As of six months ago, it’s basically where the live-action Robotech movie currently is, IMO.

Signature 

Posted: 06 January 2015 03:44 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

In my mind, the two GitS films are masterpieces and the two SAC seasons are the pinnacle of deep, layered storytelling. I’m still out to lunch a little on ARISE, but the first two eps have their moments. Not that I think ScarJo will do a poor job, but I am really interested to see what they will do different to elevate or go beyond what has been done already.
My main concern is although the technology has never been better to finally do this, cyberpunk is an aged genre and the last two big cyberpunk-ish films flopped (Cloud Atlas with Neo-Seoul storyline & Total Recall reboot).

Posted: 06 January 2015 11:24 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

and using an original story rather than one used in the anime

Here’s where it gets me, if the original story was so crap as to not be worthy of movie acceptance, then why bother?

What’s so wrong about keeping the original story?

Signature 

She? -B.O.B.

MSFC

Posted: 07 January 2015 01:32 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2002-07-12

and using an original story rather than one used in the anime

Here’s where it gets me, if the original story was so crap as to not be worthy of movie acceptance, then why bother?

No one said that at all. But it’s not unheard of to reboot or reinvent things.

And as far as why bother? These days, it’s generally to create a multimillion dollar global franchise that has a very wide audience. Hollywood has been mining comic books in recent years, so some anime properties are fair game too.

What’s so wrong about keeping the original story?

One could ask why do they make adaptations or reinventions of various properties?

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2015 11:08 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

One could ask why do they make adaptations or reinventions of various properties?

I actually do ask that sometimes.  :p

Guess I’m getting old and stuck in my ways.

Signature 

She? -B.O.B.

MSFC

Posted: 08 January 2015 06:45 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-02-16

Well, fresh on the heels of the ScarJo announcement, Toho and Production I.G announced Ghost in the Shell Evangelion (Gospel)...an all-new animated film to come out some time this year. Here is the teaser trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEktyhOSxg

Posted: 11 January 2015 07:18 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1480
Joined  2011-01-03

I think Scarlett will do justice to the role of Maj. Motoko Kusanagi. I just hope they matched her look to the anime and that the story will be really deep and get audiences to think as well as entertain them-s hallmark of Japanese anime over US cartoons for the most part.

Signature 

“Risk is our business”
      -Captain James T.Kirk"Speak your mind. Its a free country.”
      -Captain America

Posted: 31 January 2015 07:19 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2001-04-15

Change nothing! Do the movie just like the anima movie is. Even the slow scenes are needed not just more explosions. If I want big gun and explosions then I would was an “Exspendables” movie.

Signature 

No pity! No remorse! No fear!

Posted: 31 January 2015 10:20 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  2003-02-13

Change nothing! Do the movie just like the anima movie is.

I agree ... but I don’t think that will be an option. If you look at the recent trend of books/anime/TV series (and reboots) that have been adapted for the big screen, the strategy usually involves change for the sake of change. The fact that they got Scarlett Johansson in the lead role says the movie will be a Hollywood-centric “Ghost In The Shell.”

What that means is: lots of CGI effects, explosions, large set pieces, and a dumbed-down plot that doesnt faithfully resemble the source material. Fans will probably scream bloody murder, but if the movie is successful, then it will get a sequel and it will become a cash cow for the studio.

Signature 

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

1 2 > 
1 of 2