Password   forgot password?
 1 2 > 
1 of 2
What Is This A Bait and Switch???
Posted: 24 September 2014 02:04 PM  
Private
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2013-08-01

So I just went to the Amazon listing for Robotech The Classic Collection Vol 1 to go order the set, however when I looked at the listing It’s price is $29.98, now the problem I have with this is I distinctively remember it being advertised at $19.98, so to make sure It wasn’t a mistake on Amazon’s end I decided to check out the press release again because I knew that it advertised the set at $19.98 and to my surprise that bit of info was no longer on the press release as well(it was updated on the 23rd), getting suspicious I decided to see if there were any wayback machine entries for the press release and by pure luck there was a capture from August 8th
http://web.archive.org/web/20140808065149/http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=518 and just as I had orignally suspected the original press release listed the set as being $19.98 so this begs the question did HG/Lionsgtate pull a bait and switch by advertising these sets at $19.98 and then changing the price after release or is there something I’m not understanding correctly, I think i’ll wait until Kevin or Steve clear things up before I buy this set.

Posted: 27 September 2014 03:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2001-03-21

This is odd. I too got curious for an explanation. :judge:

Posted: 28 September 2014 10:45 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Private
Joined  2013-08-01

I think HG/Lionsgate owes everyone an explanation about why they jacked the price up when the sets were clearly advertised at the $19.98 price point, speaking of which it seems this thread got their attention since they started changing the price after I posted about it (it was as low as $23.98 for about 2 days but right now they seem to have settled on the price being $26.98 which I still won’t pay for this set until someone at HG or Lionsgate explains their reasoning in regards to this)

Posted: 28 September 2014 11:39 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2001-06-24

I was planning on buying these too.
Oh well. :(

Posted: 30 September 2014 06:41 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2001-03-21

Perhaps the demand was higher than expected thus they could raise the price to increase income? Just a random out of the blue guess.

Posted: 30 September 2014 09:59 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Joined  2013-08-01

Perhaps the demand was higher than expected thus they could raise the price to increase income? Just a random out of the blue guess.

If that was the case, then wouldn’t HG/Lionsgate have said something about it beforehand?

Not only that but they did in this case shows many signs of a bait and switch, advertise something at a set price to entice buyers and when people actually go to get said item for sale, jack up the price to get higher profit (IDK if under the legal definition this completely qualifies as a bait and switch since usually the seller will usually try to charge a higher price for a completely different item and say that the advertised item isn’t available but everything else fits the bill perfectly).

Now if there was something in the original press release saying that the $19.98 price was a pre-order price and any orders after the set was released that the price would be higher it would be a completely different situation, but that’s not what’s happening in this case, the set was clearly advertised at $19.98 and until HG/Lionsgate explains why it’s not being sold at the advertised price, I refuse to buy it.

Posted: 02 October 2014 06:21 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Joined  2013-08-01

I just checked the Amazon listing again and the price is back to $29.98, this is getting ridiculous.

Posted: 02 October 2014 05:23 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-07-26

Man that is terrible as these are also print on demand so they are probably DVD-R Discs to boot…

You can probably scrounge up a whole run of the ADV Legacy Robotech Classic DVD release and the whole Animeigo Macross releases for less at this point…

Signature 

“You Expect me to believe this balderdash about flowers and strange emanations! ” -Bowie paraphrasing Supreme Commander Leonard. Hilarious.

Posted: 06 October 2014 05:55 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2001-06-24

To top it off they’re print on demand?!?!?
Heck, that ought to make it cheaper!  mad

Posted: 07 October 2014 07:20 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1199
Joined  2003-02-13

Amazon doesn’t cheat its customers.

Admittedly, there have been a few instances where I have pre-ordered Blu ray box sets or movies from Amazon, and the price has fluctuated.

For instance, I recently pre-ordered season 5 of Star Trek: TNG and the price changed dramatically from one day to the next. Many people were extremely upset about the price change. When questioned about its pricing policy, Amazon stated that the price was set by the product manufacturer. And any pre-orders, would be refunded the price difference if the price was lower at the time of release.

My point is:  I pre-ordered season 5 of TNG at $130 dollars, but when I received the box set, the price was set at $79 dollars. Amazon refunded me the difference within the 24 hours. Actually, I have pre-ordered every season of the TNG and they have always lowered the price and refunded me the difference.

IMO, even at the price of $29.98, the Robotech Classic Collection set is not a bad deal. Spread across four discs, you’re getting the first 18 episodes of both Macross and the original broadcast version of Robotech.

Signature 

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Posted: 15 October 2014 04:22 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Joined  2013-08-01

No-one ever said Amazon was cheating their customers, however what we (or specifically I) am saying is HG/Lionsgate is cheating the RT customers that were too gullible and bought this set for higher than it was advertised instead of standing up to HG/Lionsgate when they’re doing the fans wrong (which they are in this case).

Let me break it down so it’ll be easier to understand when Robotech: The Classic Collection Vol 1 was first announced back in July the original press release said and I’m quoting this word for word from the original press release.

This action-packed collection includes the landmark television version exactly as it appeared in American broadcast syndication in 1985, along with the original and uncut episodes from the Japanese series Super Dimension Fortress Macross, all on one 4-disc set for the suggested retail price of $19.98.

Now fast forward to September 23rd the day Robotech: The Classic Collection Vol 1 was released instead of being $19.98 like it was advertised as, it was instead priced at $29.98, now on that same day the press release was mysteriously “updated” with any and all references of the price being $19.98 removed.

It was only after I started this thread that HG/Lionsgate started to fluctuate the price (it went from $29.98 on the 23-24, to 23.99 for a few days, then to $26.99 until finally it went back to 29.98) in an attempt to try and get some of the people that weren’t buying the set before to invest in it now (Tomy Yune actually said at LBCC’s Robotech panel that amazon was having a “special” during that time for the set, and it’s too bad I wasn’t there because I would have easily tore that statement to shreds and exposed it as the lie it is), to top it off as others have pointed out this is a “print on demand” title so that in essence should make the set cheaper or the consumer.

Finally in regards as to whether $29.98 is a good deal for this set or not is entirely irrelevant, this is all about good business ethics, if the set was advertised at a specific price (which it was) you sell it at that advertised price, if you’re the company producing and selling the item and you’re selling it for a higher price, you’re ripping your fans off plain and simple, and if HG/Lionsgate continue to be silent about this I may have to make an inquiry with the BBB about this because I’m pretty sure HG/Lionsgate is violating some laws here.

Posted: 25 October 2014 03:48 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2014-10-24

Does anyone from HG read these boards? Perhaps this was an honest mistake that an apology (and price adjustment) would address sufficiently.

Signature 

Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion, man.

Posted: 28 October 2014 02:28 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2003-02-13

Finally in regards as to whether $29.98 is a good deal for this set or not is entirely irrelevant, this is all about good business ethics, if the set was advertised at a specific price (which it was) you sell it at that advertised price, if you’re the company producing and selling the item and you’re selling it for a higher price, you’re ripping your fans off plain and simple

Your point is completely valid. Moreover, if HG/Lionsgate is unwillingly to provide an explanation (or at least release a statement) regarding the price discrepancy then you are right to call their behavior “Bait and Switch.” Based on the information you provided, I dont understand why the price was increased at the last minute.

Perhaps I am seeing the world through rose colored glasses, but I think a company should be honest with their customers, and more importantly, bend over backwards to make them feel like they are getting great quality at a fair price. That kind of business model and philosophy leads to customer satisfaction and brand name loyalty.

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2014 04:18 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Site Admin
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2004-09-29

Hi Superrayman3,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

Let me do some digging and find out what happened. (Thanks for having that archive.org link as well) This may take a while so I appreciate your patience.

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Signature 

Your BankofKev since 1998.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 30 October 2014 12:25 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Site Admin
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2004-09-29

Hi Everyone,

So here is what is going on:

1. This is an Amazon.com exclusive set so they not HG/Lionsgate set the price for the DVD’s in their store.

2. Every fan who placed an order when the set was listed as $19.98 USD was charged $19.98 USD for the set. There was no bait and switch for fans who ordered the set at this price. 

3. Amazon prices for products go up and down due to various factors. One need only to see that the 20 disc box set is currently going for $39.96 USD. (A whopping V off the MSRP.) However, Amazon has the right to raise or lower the price of the sets at anytime they choose. 

4. I understand that if you do not wish to purchase this product if the price has gone up. (As I said before Amazon prices can go up and down and back up again) If you wish to wait for this price to drop that’s fine and when it does I will let you all know.

Hope this helps clarify the issue.

Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Signature 

Your BankofKev since 1998.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 31 October 2014 06:30 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2003-02-13

There it is ... short and sweet.

Thanks for the clarification.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2
‹‹ Robotech Blu Ray!      Robotech Posters ››