Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
ST: DS9 “By Inferno’s Light”—What did the Dominion hope to accomplish
Posted: 11 April 2013 07:07 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11312
Joined  2003-09-16

In this episode, a combined Starfleet, Klingon, Romulan fleet stand ready to engage a Dominion/Cardassian fleet.  Instead the Dominion attempt to set off a protomatter device in Bajor’s star, causing it to explode and destroy the system.

What would this have accomplished for the Dominion?  All the ships would’ve been able to go to warp and escape before the shockwave hit.  Only DS9 and the planets in the system would’ve been destroyed.

So why do it?  It seems like a lot of trouble to go through to destroy one station.

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 11 April 2013 07:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2012-06-25

Wasn’t the wormhole in or near the Bajoran system? If so, how would that have affected it?

To answer your question, it looks like that would have had no tactical value. If that’s the Case, then the only thing I can think of is scorched earth policy.

Been a while since I’ve seen the series. I miss it.  :(

My favorite moment is Sisko’s monologue at the end of ” in the pale moonlight.”

Signature 

85er for LIFE!“Two there should be, no more no less:one to embody the power, the other to crave it.” Darth Bane"I’m not going to kill you…I have use for you.” Darth Sidious

Posted: 11 April 2013 08:32 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11030
Joined  2003-04-09

they would have crippled the Klingon, Romulan and Federation fleets, destroyed the first line of defense against anything coming through he wormhole, and gotten revenge against the Bajorians for their Cardassian allies.

if the sun had gone nova the way they planned it, most of the fleet wouldn’t have been able to warp out in time.

Signature 

Dark Fin “Sprinkler of Fixins”“"Freedom of speech doesn’t protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate.”“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-09-16

From everything know, the fleet would’ve had ample time to get away.  It was established in the episode The Alternate, that a Danube-Class Runabout takes 5 hours to travel between DS9 and Bajor via impulse.  Even if the Runabout’s max impulse was .5c, the shockwave would be so far away in coming that the entire fleet would be able to escape. 

An example of this is seen in ST: Generations when Soran destroys the Amargosa star.  The Enterprise had a full 4 minutes 40 seconds to get out of there.  They had enough time for Riker and Worf to leave the bridge, go to the nearest transporter room, beam over, rescue Data, and beam back, all before the shockwave hit.

Bajor was in the system’s habitable zone, and DS9 was a LOT further out.  If the Bajor system was the Sol system, and the shockwave travelled at the speed of light, it would still take over 8 minutes for the shockwave to hit the planet…and then keep going to the station.  Even if we chop that in half, 4 minutes is more than enough time to get the entire fleet out of harm’s way.

There’s no way the entire fleet wouldn’t have time to get out of there.

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:06 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5931
Joined  2002-01-27

It’s an elementary tactic, if you are facing a powerful enemy it is a good strategy to do what you can to divide, occupy, or otherwise stymie them. 

In this case, had the star been destroyed there would have been time for the fleet to escape, but that would not be the first thing on their minds.  The Fed ships at the very least, after getting over the initial shock of the situation, would have immediately rushed to Bajor and DS9 to evac as many people as possible before being forced to escape the system.  That’s not the end of it, however, as now those ships have to find a place to offload the refugees, they will have to leave the front at the very least perhaps for a significant length of time.  There’s also the strategic loss of Bajor, the defenses at the worm hole, DS9, and the massive disruption in the Fed logistics, etc etc. 

The fact is that you don’t have to destroy a fleet to render it disabled/out of the fight, and the Dominion plan would have accomplished just that.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 12 April 2013 05:29 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3290
Joined  2001-03-13

What would this have accomplished for the Dominion? All the ships would’ve been able to go to warp and escape before the shockwave hit. Only DS9 and the planets in the system would’ve been destroyed.

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen DS9.

End/Prevent the Alpha Quadrant’s ability to easily Blockade the wormhole?  Turning it into a free lane of travel.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 12 April 2013 10:58 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-09-16

I could definitely see the Federation ships scrambling to save who they could, but I’m not so sure about the Romulans and Klingons.

The destruction of DS9 would mean that control of the wormhole would fall to whomever had the largest force of ships in the area.

With the confusion caused by the star’s explosion, the Dominion fleet standing by in Cardassian space would be able to move in and hold the territory before the Romulan/Klingon/Federation fleet could react.  Any battle to retake the position would be difficult since more ships could come through the wormhole at any moment.

So I guess, strategically, it was a good plan—it’s just that the cited reason of destroying the combined fleet wouldn’t have really happened or been the actual objective.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2013 01:50 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5931
Joined  2002-01-27

I find it funny how often SciFi factions will come up with brilliant plans/strategies but use stupid or nonsensical reasons to justify them or as their aim.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 12 April 2013 02:07 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-09-16

I find it funny how often SciFi factions will come up with brilliant plans/strategies but use stupid or nonsensical reasons to justify them or as their aim.

Not being a smart @$$.  I genuinely want to know.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2013 06:07 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1020
Joined  2001-02-15

Data says that in the worst case scenario of the event of a star going nova, Enterprise could outrun the explosion at half impulse, I’d put it to inconsistent writing.  In all likelihood, they’d have several minutes to evacuate who they could from Bajor (with the whole combined fleet, maybe as many as a few hundred thousand) and a few hours to evacuate DS9.  The fleet would survive with no difficulty, but the planet and station nearest the wormhole would be destroyed and the Bajoran people would be driven to the brink of extinction.

Signature 

I just want it to be known, for the record that Commander Breetai does have both eyes….he just wears the plate on his head because it makes him look cool.

Leonard was, by far, the worst top-level Commander in Robotech….except for all of the others.