Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Why was Superman Returns considered a failure when it made $200M while Cap & Thor each made $171M…
Posted: 11 April 2013 04:05 PM  
Corporal
Total Posts:  2048
Joined  2010-11-11

Subject line continued here…(ran out of space up top)

Why was Superman Returns considered a failure when it made $200M in North American Box Office, while Captain America: 1st Avenger & Thor each made only $171M and were considered a success, which led to The Avengers movie?

Superman Returns came out in 2006, and made $200M in 2006 dollars.  With inflation taken into account, that would obviously be higher in 2011 dollars, when both Cap and Thor came out.

Second question:
Why didn’t they make a Superman Returns sequel?  If Batman Begins made $205M in 2005, and its sequel The Dark Knight made $533M (more than double of BBegins), and Superman Returns made $200M in 2006 (the year after BBegins), and with the gross revenue so close to BBegins, you would think that producers would’ve made the assessment that a Superman Returns sequel would’ve followed suit to The Dark Knight’s gross revenues.

But instead, they cancelled the whole thing, did a reboot, and we now have Man of Steel, scheduled to release this year.

Posted: 11 April 2013 05:12 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  812
Joined  2002-07-12

Captain America made $369 million worldwide and Thor made $449 million worldwide.

Superman Returns made $391 million worldwide, but cost $209 million to make. It failed to make twice its money back, which Cap and Thor did. Supes fell short of the $500 million worldwide Warner Bros expected the film to make. It was successful, but not successful enough to satisfy the studio.

Signature 

“Hello, my name is Human…”

Posted: 11 April 2013 05:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11312
Joined  2003-09-16

http://brian.carnell.com/articles/2011/why-batman-begins-was-a-hit-and-superman-returns-was-a-flop/

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:08 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5931
Joined  2002-01-27

That and the fact that besides Kevin Spacey it was a pretty awful movie.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:58 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  4191
Joined  2001-02-16

That and the fact that besides Kevin Spacey it was a pretty awful movie.

And they made him play the goofy Lex too.

Signature 

She’s speechless! -The Missing Link

She? -B.O.B.

Yes. We are in the prescence of the rare female monster. -Dr. Cockroach P.H.D.

No way! It’s a boy; look at his boobies! -B.O.B.

We need to have a talk. -The Missing Link

MSFC

Posted: 11 May 2013 01:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  706
Joined  2001-02-15

They had some good scenes in it - like when he rescues the airplane or lifts the ship out of the water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1AQylZXk84

But let’s face it - Brandon Routh has a hard time following in the footsteps of Christopher Reeve. Anyone would.

Signature 

“Until then, I want you to think of just one thing - ROBOTECH!”

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:02 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2010-11-11

And that’s why they used a different approach in Man of Steel.  For instance, Henry Cavill’s face doesn’t have the likeness of Reeve’s the same way Routh’s has (the likeness of Reeve).

However, Cavill’s face can still pass for Superman’s face.

So I think this will work.  It’s a different approach.

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:05 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2010-11-11

And yes, I liked those rescue scenes!  My theater had applause when he stopped the plane from plummeting into the baseball diamond. 

It also had that spine-tingling feeling, that he saved all those people, and the fact that he’s back!

I really felt disappointed that Superman Returns was not considered successful.

Posted: 11 May 2013 04:27 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  706
Joined  2001-02-15

I think Cavill looks more like Reeve than Routh does.

Signature 

“Until then, I want you to think of just one thing - ROBOTECH!”

Posted: 11 May 2013 05:30 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  5052
Joined  2006-09-13

I felt that routh didn’t have the acting chops reeves had.

Reeves took great effort to separate the Clark and superman personas. He adopted different speech mannerisms, different body language etc when playing the 2 roles.

Routh didn’t seem to do that.

Posted: 11 May 2013 10:29 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2003-04-11

superman having an illegitimate son. and i’m sure that a few people cried foul when supes was able to lift an island of kryptonite into space while having a shard of said object embedded in him by method of stabbing. in general superman pretty much looses his powers and is reduced to a writhing wreck when exposed to a small piece of it. don’t get me wrong, that scene was pretty heroic but… i can see why some would hate the movie for those scenes alone.

Signature 

Life is a dream of three.

Posted: 12 May 2013 07:44 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  5052
Joined  2006-09-13

Personally I had no issue with the son.

He did get intimate with Lois back in superman 2 afterall

Posted: 13 May 2013 04:23 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1480
Joined  2011-01-03

While its too early to tell, I think Henry Cavill will be a better Superman than Brandon Routh because he looks more mature, a real Superman as it were. He looks right for the role in terms of age, like the way George Reeve did in the 1950s or the way Curt Swan depicted Superman in the comics, instead of Superman looking so young recently as seen in Smallville or Superman Returns.

Signature 

“Risk is our business”
      -Captain James T.Kirk"Speak your mind. Its a free country.”
      -Captain America