Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4
What are we teaching our kids (NO POLITICS)
Posted: 20 May 2011 08:57 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  5686
Joined  2007-04-08

It falls on the parents to supervise your kids’ education, no matter what type of schooling they get.  If you let your kid be undereducated and brainwashed, it’s your fault.  It doesn’t matter if the teacher in question is Mom, Mrs. Jones, Sister Mary Theresa, or Albus Dumbledore.

Signature 

If it ain’t in the Robotech show itself… It didn’t neccessarily happen.

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 09 June 2011 05:47 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2005-03-25

09, 08, 11, 13, 04, 16, 05, 10, 07, 16, 20

Signature 

Shadowalker

What I’ve felt, what I’ve known
Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there,
‘Cause I’m the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven too?

Posted: 09 June 2011 05:48 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2005-03-25

It falls on the parents to supervise your kids’ education, no matter what type of schooling they get. If you let your kid be undereducated and brainwashed, it’s your fault. It doesn’t matter if the teacher in question is Mom, Mrs. Jones, Sister Mary Theresa, or Albus Dumbledore.

The trouble is, some parents expect the teachers to give the kids all the information (and in some cases finish toilet training) so I would surmise that it does come down to the home environment.  I know that I was (and still am) incredibly lucky to have family who have supported me, and encouraged me to ask questions of the world, and try not to be one of those people that just about know what’s happening in the UK, let alone the wider world.  So, just as I was supported, I try my best to support my god-daughter and her sister, so that they do get a more rounded education than the one the UK state system seems to provide.

Signature 

Shadowalker

Could you be there,

Posted: 09 June 2011 07:23 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

If it was entirely the teacher’s doing, all the kids would perform at the same level.  Yet you’ve got overacheivers and underacheivers, science whizzes and bookworms… those distinctions are a reflection of the parents. 

If you send the kid the message that knowledge is unimportant, I hope the kid is prepared to scrub toilets or flip burgers for a living.  My neice-in-law was raised by those kind of parents and she hates it. She can’t even help the boy with sounding out words.

Lucky for Corgan, his daddy is the King of the Nerds and his crazy aunt learns for the fun of it.  He is often complemented on his smarts. Just last night we were discussing how you have to be sure your source is reputable, based on my quoting a website that said Mario and Luigi are twins.  @_@

Signature 

Thanks, Carl Macek, for introducing me to all these folks.  Even the ones who bug me.

Posted: 13 June 2011 12:35 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

Lynn Kyle.  :judge:

A day at school should start with a shot of whiskey and then watching Kyle’s speech at Minmei’s pass out press conference in front of the hospital. 

In fact we should have 8 yr old children take a shot, watch the speech, take another shot of whiskey and watch the speech - for 8 hours a day!!!

K.I.S.S. IS HERE!!!! >:o

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 13 June 2011 05:28 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

Then they’d have an excuse for forgetting everything once they’d taken the test!

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2011 06:50 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1255
Joined  2001-02-16

I likes what you said there, but I would like to drop it back one fundamental spot and just say that parents need to actively raise their children. Don’t just be active in trying to keep the schools in check (though this is really important) but take a role in your kids education as well. Too many parents expect the school to do everything (and I mean EVERYTHING like tying your shoes, being polite, remembering locker combos, going to the bathroom properly, eating right, and then if there is time left, academic content.), and then yell at the teachers when their kids screw up.

It’s not all on the teachers. The most important teachers we will ever have are the people who raise us (mom, dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles, television, or the video games). If you let someone/thing else raise your kid then you really shouldn’t complain how they turn out.

Signature 

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness. -Emo Philips, comedian (1956- )

Posted: 24 June 2011 01:22 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

AMEN!

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2011 01:12 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  13458
Joined  2005-10-21

Parents should be more actively involved in helping educate their kids, it really doesn’t address the lack of teaching our schools seem to be doing these days. Sadly, I think one of the problem IS standardized testing. Teachers are teaching for the test, not to educate our kids. The fact is, the schools themselves are broken. Which leads back to my original question, how do we fix them? It seems to me that we have regulated the hell out of the class room and it has had the complete opposite affect. Are the regulations written wrong? Are their too many? Are they implemented wrong? I just don’t see the solution any more, but I know our schools are failing to properly educate the children and that is sad.

Signature 

- 85ER -
MEMBER OF D.O.M.A.D.
CAG OF THE D.O.L.

- Carl Macek, to the stars and beyond time, you are not forgotten -

Posted: 26 June 2011 11:59 AM   [ # 25 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2007-04-08

I think the parents have CREATED the problems in the schools. 

As an example… I have a friend who teaches chemistry.  He constantly gets parents complaining that he’s too hard on the students.  Because he expects them to learn! 

Another example… A first grader I know was flunking spelling tests because she was making the letters wrong, and her mother raised cain at the school.  And no, the kid isn’t dyslexic.

My own mother raised cain if an English teacher punished us for using the word ain’t. 

And don’t get me started on the IEP…

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2011 09:16 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-16

Parents should be more actively involved in helping educate their kids, it really doesn’t address the lack of teaching our schools seem to be doing these days

Yes, actually it does.

It’s hard to teach a group of 30 kids anything when they are stabbing each other with pencils/scissors, throwing chairs, psychologically bullying each other, and wandering around making it impossible for the few kids whose families DO value education to learn anything.

AND before anyone goes on about learning disabilities or gender differences I will say that I come from Nova Scotia: the last great bastion of inclusive education. I have seen MANY children of MANY different faculties do well, or at least try. The issue is not ability, we can accommodate that.

The issue is coming from a household that does not value respect, learning and/or critical thought. Many kids come from homes where the parents see their kids as burdens, and something to ignore. Other parents ignorantly want to be friends with their children instead role models. They think they are being more enlightened and progressive but in practice they neglect to set any limets and encourage adult behaviour before the children are mentally or emotionally capable of understanding such activity.

Our kids can be our best friends; My daughter and I are wonderful that way. BUT we still have to be parents first. Our children are not our peers, so we cannot give them the same freedom or responsibility as an adult.

If one doesn’t feel like teaching them how to act appropriately in social situations than that responsibility falls on us, the teachers, who end up finding a class full of grade eights who don’t know how to react when they don’t get exactly what they want right away.

I have seen classes of children who would tell you off, physically assault you, and throw your junk out the window if you told them to wait five minutes before they can go to the bathroom. Really, that’s not the teacher’s fault, that is the fault of the average north american neglecting to discipline their own children. We can’t do it at school and make anything sink in if the kids know they can go home and get whatever they want.

You can’t raise your average standard of education when your average kid’s parents think it’s cool and funny to perpetuate that standard “school sucks, can’t wait for the weekend” mentality.

AND, this is all coming from my own experience. I have seen a wide variety of schools and a wide variety of kids. Some schools and areas are better than others for many reasons that cannot be summarized here, but from what I have seen the average student is completely apathetic to their education, and many are absolutely belligerent towards anyone in any position of authority.

Most of the apathetic kids don’t actively derail your work, but they don’t help either. Maybe 3 to 5 kids in a class of 30 want to be there and want to learn.

That’s what I see in the system.

Signature 

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness. -Emo Philips, comedian (1956- )

Posted: 26 June 2011 09:35 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-16

I totally agree with you on the standardized testing bit, but in a slightly skewed way. I think we really, definitely SHOULD be teaching to the test, though- we must make sure the test is appropriate for the student.

The problem comes when people standardize their tests: an act that assumes all students are the same, and can learn the same way and express that learning the same way.

Just about every bit of psychological, sociological, biological/medical and educational research on that subject for the last 50 years has proven that this is not the case. Every child is different and a teacher’s job is to be able to differentiate their assessments to accurately measure each student’s abilities.

You DO need some kind of summative assessment, though. You need to be able to say that a student has learned (x). Without that, every parent would string us up by our toes. But Harvard doesn’t even give final exams anymore because they don’t believe final exams are an accurate representation of a student’s learning. I wholeheartedly agree with them.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2011 12:57 AM   [ # 28 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  13458
Joined  2005-10-21

The problem with teaching to pass the standardized test is that it means they are NOT teaching some of the more basic, and important skills. If we spend all our time making the child memorize 2 + 2 = 4 so that he can write the answer on the test, we are NOT teaching problem solving and critical thinking. This is what is sorely lacking in our society, these days, is the ability to trouble shoot, adapt to situations, and reason through things on our own. Yes, learning how to read a sentence is important, but teaching the child how to comprehend the sentence and it’s context is JUST AS important. Teaching a child that 2 + 2 = 4 is important. Teaching the child how to figure out how to arrive at that answer is MORE important. Also, we are not teaching children to be aware of their surroundings and their community.

People complain that the US has lost it’s ability to innovate and it’s economy is shifting towards the service industry. I think the real reason behind this is that our schools have become TOO focused on wrote memorization and less on the critical thinking skills needed to continue to be innovative.

Yes, we should have some form of testing… but the testing, IMO, seems to be testing for the wrong things. There are ways to test for critical thinking and problem solving. Perhaps if we focussed more on teaching THOSE skills the education level in this country would improve…. just a theory.

Signature 

- 85ER -
MEMBER OF D.O.M.A.D.
CAG OF THE D.O.L.

- Carl Macek, to the stars and beyond time, you are not forgotten -

Posted: 27 June 2011 12:59 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1171
Joined  2001-09-19

The test has been set up to make the grading easy and speedy. It ahs nothing to do with the actual checking of the student’s true knowledge. Granted it does take time to grade writen answers. But then you know for sure what the child was thinking and can properly tell if he or she is right on the their answer. Japan is famous for all these tests but when you ask them a question they fall apart. Not all of them mind you but a good majority. They have taken too much power away fromt he teachers while some teachers form the past are responsible for the dumbing down affect of teaching. Some of them were not meant to be teachers. Teaching doesn’t only mean to teach your subject and get a paycheck. It means to teach your subject but also teach them how to grow their minds to think, question, and explain them selves as best as they can.

That is what I think of teaching when I teach my kids. Stop asking for the answer without thinking about the answer, your answer first. If it’s not right or compleatly wrong. I’ll show where and why so you can understand and try again and challenge the next task.

Teachers can be friends, father/mother figures, and like a big brother or sister at times. But we are teachers first and adults to them.

Signature 

Grand Admiral: “Wolfen” Stormhard
Demon #2
105th Airwing Demon Squadron
Dreadnaught class ship: Katana

Legions Of Thunder
Thunder 19
Lone Wolf Squadron XO

Jedi Wolf of the Dark Fin

Posted: 27 June 2011 06:16 AM   [ # 30 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2005-03-25

I don’t know what it’s like for you guys, but testing here in the UK is somewhat of a political hot potato at the moment.  I agree that there needs to be some way of tracking what the kids are learning, but standardised testing doesn’t seem to be the right course in my opinion. 

I would be happier if it was teacher led assesments, meaning that a more comprehensive assesment of a child can be done, and any weaknesses exposed and hopefully corrected by both help from the teacher and the family - not just the parents, but grandparents and extended family.

Signature 

Shadowalker

Could you be there,

< 1 2 3 4 > 
2 of 4