Hollywood Dumps ‘America’ From New ‘Captain America’ Film
Posted: 27 January 2011 07:50 AM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1733
Joined  2001-04-17

So so sad, first GIJOE, now this

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hollywood-dumps-
america-from-new-captain-america-film/

It turns out that a movie called “Captain America: The First Avenger” wouldn’t go over big in international markets, and thus Paramount Pictures and Marvel Comics have decided to alter the movie’s title to just “The First Avenger” in countries such as Russia, Ukraine and South Korea to try and sell more tickets, the LA Times reports.

Those involved in the decision are being careful to frame the move as a matter of brand management and consumer awareness and not as a decision tilted by cultural or political winds.

In private, Marvel insiders said that early on in the project’s planning there was talk that the title might need to be changed in numerous international markets but that there was a ”pleasant surprise” — the brand recognition of the comic-book superhero was so strong that it overrode those considerations in many places. That was not the case in Russia, South Korea and the Ukraine.

It’s not uncommon for American films to undergo name changes for overseas to suit the international variables in taste, translation and temperament.  Still, this particular title tweak might not sit well with those pundits and purists who frowned on comments last year by the film’s director, Joe Johnston, that suggested that Captain America and his alter ego, Steve Rogers, would be more measured in the way they saluted their country.

“He wants to serve his country, but he’s not this sort of jingoistic American flag-waver,” Johnston told Hero Complex. “He’s just a good person. We make a point of that in the script: Don’t change who you are once you go from Steve Rogers to this super-soldier; you have to stay who you are inside, that’s really what’s important more than your strength and everything. It’ll be interesting and fun to put a different spin on the character and one that the fans are really going to appreciate … the idea that this is not about America so much as it is about the spirit of doing the right thing,” the director said.

“It’s an international cast and an international story. It’s about what makes America great and what make the rest of the world great too.”

The story of Captain America revolves around Marvel comic-book hero Steve Rogers, a sickly young man-turned-super soldier by an experimental serum created to bolster American forces during World War II.

“Captain America: The First Avenger” is due in U.S. theaters in July.

Signature 

Shadow Squad 279 Commanding Officer

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 27 January 2011 08:20 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  5052
Joined  2006-09-13

Well the name “America” doesn’t really have an all too positive reputation in those territories mentioned.

Even here in Singapore, Captain America is usually seen as a joke. An unrealised ideal and runs contrary to the America of today (no offense, but there is a reason that Captain America books arent selling as well as, say, Batman)

You must realise too that USa domestic takings have been falling and studios are turning to the international market.
With america’s reputation the way it is, having a blatantly “America” titled film might not be a good idea.

Again, no offense, but im just telling it like it is from the perspective of a non-american.

Posted: 27 January 2011 08:37 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-04-17

and i do think its a big deal, and the fact that every one is so pc nowadays makes me sick, i hate that the changed gijoe, are they going to relaunch American ninja and international ninja?

Signature 

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 27 January 2011 09:57 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11313
Joined  2003-09-16

For the longest time, American and Russia were in a “Cold War” against each other.  Of course the name “Captain America” will have less resonance in Russia.  The older generation still remembers the Cold War, and the younger generation knows only the Iraqi and Afghan wars.

Why are movies made?  To make money.  If research shows that changing the name of a product could make that product generate 10x as much revenue, it would be stupid for a company that’s in the business to make money not to make that change.

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 27 January 2011 10:12 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1521
Joined  2001-02-18

I mean come on, we don’t get movies where good hard working Americans fight the Russcubanistanies any more like in Red Dawn and Iron Eagle.:p

Seriously though, and a bit more on subject.  I’m also American and don’t mind the name change for foreign markets.

Signature 

I knew Colonel Andrews would be upset by the shutdown, but overthrowing the government?  Come on that’s a little extreme.

WWKD?

Posted: 27 January 2011 10:38 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2001-02-16

Hollywood have a long story of alter/change stories to make them more profitable. But most of the times you do not know the original story.

Did you know that in the original story of Master and Commander they are fighting a American ship not a French.

bendixon23; do not worry you will get a remake of Red Dawn and the chinese are the bad guys.

Posted: 27 January 2011 04:18 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1521
Joined  2001-02-18

I had heard about that Red Dawn remake but it seems that they are missing the point of having the enemies be some sort of vague, probably communist threat.

Damn commmies… :rofl:

Signature 

I knew Colonel Andrews would be upset by the shutdown, but overthrowing the government?  Come on that’s a little extreme.

WWKD?

Posted: 03 February 2011 10:01 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2004-07-04

Super Soldier…That’s what Cap is; he’s really not the 1st Avenger. Cap was an Invader and member of the All-Winners Squad. He wasn’t even a founding members of the Avengers.

Signature 

“Life without pain isn’t real. Because I know the truth and the truth hurts.” (Isamu Dyson, Macross Plus)

Posted: 06 February 2011 05:49 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2006-09-13

Super Soldier…That’s what Cap is; he’s really not the 1st Avenger. Cap was an Invader and member of the All-Winners Squad. He wasn’t even a founding members of the Avengers.

And bring back talk about Nazi attrocities?? Dont forget, the “supersoldier” was a nazi project that involved illegal and quite gruesome human experimentations.

Posted: 06 February 2011 06:35 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  3290
Joined  2001-03-13

is it just the Movie getting a different title OR does such change ALSO include changing the name of the central character.

If it is just the title, I really do not see what the big deal is.

Now if it is the character’s name, then yes I can see a problem with that.

Signature 

Supreme Commander Leonard is an Agent of the Robotech Masters.

Posted: 06 February 2011 09:16 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  19930
Joined  2004-01-13

The Movie should be called Captain America and other countries who don’t like that characters name can suck it in a bucket!! >:o

Signature 

SCRT.com Girl’s Club:
I   am…“PEACHES!!”

MM Triumvirate!!

That Guy…of the Dark Fin.

Official RT.Com BOBA FETT

AITTTC-MOTCZ!!

Posted: 06 February 2011 10:11 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2001-04-17

Beef

Signature 

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 06 February 2011 11:52 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-09-16

The Movie should be called Captain America and other countries who don’t like that characters name can suck it in a bucket!!

Yeah, and Paramount can make $x,xxx,xxx from the release of the movie in these countries, instead of making $xxx,xxx,xxx. -_-

The purpose of the movie isn’t to advance American interest.  It’s not to promote American ideals.  It’s not even to tell a story.  The purpose of the movie is to MAKE MONEY.  If Paramount thought that changing the name to Captain Communist would ultimately bring in 50x more $, then you better believe that’s what they’d do.

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 06 February 2011 07:29 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-09-16

At the Red Skull…

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1102/06/redskull.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2011 11:36 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2006-09-13

is it just the Movie getting a different title OR does such change ALSO include changing the name of the central character.

If it is just the title, I really do not see what the big deal is.

Now if it is the character’s name, then yes I can see a problem with that.

I’m sure its just the title.

If the movie is going to be a more realistic take on Cap America, i suspect that the “Captain America” moniker would only be used by the Nazis and the american public who were exposed to war propaganda.
His friends and company mates would still call him “Steve” or “Rogers”.

Posted: 18 February 2011 06:32 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  542
Joined  2001-08-25

and it still had ‘Captain America’ in the title they may just be dropping it for international markets that’s not too uncommon

Signature 

Those who are not willing to die for something are not fit to live

MLK

1 2 > 
1 of 2