Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Disney Pixar’s “Wall-E” reviews
Posted: 29 June 2008 12:30 AM  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

To tell you the truth, I was disappointed.  What should have been the next Pixar masterpiece was instead reduced to a family friendly robotic romantic comedy that slams the audience in the head with preachy low brow consumer culture critiques and makes a thinly veiled zing against Bush and the war in Iraq. 

Let me say, that had Pixar left well enough alone, and kept the story focused on the two main characters WallE and EVE, the movie would have been ten times better. 

As the movie goes, we first find out that humanity has trashed the planet, there is litterally litter everywhere.  The people decided to go into space and leave behind a force of robots to clean up the mess and have the Earth spakling clean when humanity returns.  I have no problem with this set up, and indeed I very much enjoyed the first 45 minutes of the movie, which took place on planet with just the main robotic cast.  The setting is a bit unusual for a G rated kids movie, but it works and is nicely understated in its presentation.  If they had ended it here, this movie would have been nearly a masterpiece!

But then WallE gets transported into space, and the movie begins its bash fest as it pounds its preachy contradiction riddled message into the audience’s face until the credits roll. 

In this movie, there is a mega corporation that serves just about every need a person has, known as Buy N Large or “BnL”.  BnL is basically Walmart (“Wall-E” - Wall-E-World - Wal-Martl; Coincidence? I think not. ) with giant mega stores streatching off into the distance in one scene, and their corporate logo plastered across just about every billboard in the movie.  BnL serves the customers’ needs, so when humanity decides to go into space to escape the deteriorating planet, BnL fills that need with luxury liner space ships staffed with efficient robotic crews that handle every want and desire of the passengers.  BnL also provided the force of robot cleanup crews left behind to take care of the planetary cleanup effort.

The plan was that humanity would spend five years in space while the planet was being cleaned up and then return.  As we soon find out, however, things did not go to plan, and instead of five years by the time the events of WallE roll around humanity has been cruising around the stars for over SEVEN HUNDRED YEARS!!!  We then find out that the president of BnL decided to abandon the cleanup effort due to increasing toxicity of the planet. 

The entire BnL premise is ludicruos, and riddled with plot holes and contradictions.  The way the movie spins it, the president of BnL may as well be the president of the world.  He gives his addresses from a podium just like that of the president of the USA, and he has the power to single handedly decide to abandon the cleanup efforts on the planet and condemn his customers to spend the rest of their days homeless adrift in space.  He even spits out a few Bush one-liners to seal the deal and bemoans the futility of the War in Iraq, I mean, the Earth cleanup effort.

There’s no mention of any sort of Governmental action that was taken or any government for that matter, there’s no mention of any sort of public outcry or opinion, the audience is just expected to believe that this BnL cruise space ship has been wandering around in space for 700 years, presumably with out contact from any outside forces, and that the passengers went along with it with out so much as a fuss! 

WallE, or at least I should say the second half of WallE, is reminiscent of all those terrible 80s movies that preached the fears that “Mall culture” would take over, that people would spend all their lives inside mega shopping malls that provided everything they could possibly need, etc etc, only this time its Walmart and litter that we should watch out for. 

The truely sad thing is that if it weren’t for their cramming this preachy crap up the movie’s arse, it might all have made some semblance of sense. 

I’ll say nothing of the fact that WallE happens to have not only a VHS tape and a VCR presumably more then a thousand years in the future, but that they both still work!  WTF???

The worst contradiction has to be the children seen on the ship.  The audience is shown that the passengers aboard the ship are so fat that they can’t even stand up, they can barely sit up under their own power, but then where the hell did all these kids come from?  If the passengers are too weak to bump uglies, what’s going on here?  I guess BnL has robots for EVERYTHING!!!

In short, the first 45 minutes of Disney/Pixar’s “Wall-E” is very nearly a masterwork that everyone should go out and see immediately, but the remainder of the movie is a poorly thought out preachy mess whose message completely goes over the heads of the movie’s target audience. 

If nothing else, go see it for the short film that preceeds the movie, it was hilarious!!! ^_^

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 30 June 2008 10:44 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1067
Joined  2007-06-10

I’ve noticed several people rating the movie based on their assesment of the second half of the movie and how the message in it resonated with them.  (I wouldn’t put you in that group, though, Treiz, since you gave it a fair overall evaluation.)

Personally, the human world in WALL-E felt alot like the world of Fahrenheit 451 in supersized fasion… with a bit of Brave New World in there as well.  I personally see nothing wrong with a story that wants to overexagerate a possible future to help us realize our current social tragectory.  One critic refered to it as a space parable.  I like that analogy.

In other words, I thought the message was a good one, and one we rarely find in any movie these days (besides documentaries) much less a kids movie.  I’d rank the movie up there with Pixar’s best films.

Signature 

Everyone’s a dork… only those who have embraced this fact can find true happiness in life.

Only 4035 more points till I make Lieutenant!!!

The cousin who sings can bring me the bling -K.I.S.S.
Backstabbing is my middle name -K.I.L.L.

Posted: 01 July 2008 12:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1669
Joined  2001-08-01

The audience is shown that the passengers aboard the ship are so fat that they can’t even stand up, they can barely sit up under their own power, but then where the hell did all these kids come from? If the passengers are too weak to bump uglies, what’s going on here?

So long as the boys have hands and the girls have syringes you can make babies without raising your heartrate.  Simple 20th Century technology. 

Besides, fat people make babies, too.  I see them all the time in malls and Safeway and stuff.

Signature 

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side….I’ve never seen anything to make me believe there’s one all-powerful force controlling everything. There’s no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.

E.A.C.

Posted: 01 July 2008 06:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11312
Joined  2003-09-16

Besides, fat people make babies, too. I see them all the time in malls and Safeway and stuff.

Yeah, but were they fat BEFORE the babies?  wink

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 01 July 2008 08:18 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2003-06-29

this is the first of Pixar’s films i actually want to see. i give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

Signature 

What happems if you get scared half to death twice?

Posted: 01 July 2008 10:59 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

So long as the boys have hands and the girls have syringes you can make babies without raising your heartrate. Simple 20th Century technology.

Yes, but I have a hard time believing they have a captive population kept in close proximity that goes through peuberty with out discovering the joys of NOT useing the syringe.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 30 July 2020 09:09 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2020-07-30
sanch_earl - 30 June 2008 10:44 AM

I’ve noticed several people rating the movie based on their assesment of the second half of the movie and how the message in it resonated with them.  (I wouldn’t put you in that group, though, Treiz, since you gave it a fair overall evaluation.)

Personally, the human world in WALL-E felt alot like the world of Fahrenheit 451 in supersized fasion… with a bit of Brave New World in there as well.  I personally see nothing wrong with a story that wants to overexagerate a possible future to help us realize our current social tragectory.  One critic refered to it as a space parable.  I like that analogy.

In other words, I thought the message was a good one, and one we rarely find in any movie these days (besides documentaries) much less a kids movie.  I’d rank the movie up there with Pixar’s best films.

Well, you agree that this is a completely different world. If you are interested in this then https://www.ramascreen.com/fahrenheit-451-available-for-digital-download-618-blu-raydvd-918-here-are-details/ will definitely be useful articles for you. It’s interesting when you read those articles that are useful and interesting to you in the first place. If you have any questions, I will be glad to look at them.

‹‹ Philosophy      RIP - Michael Turner ››