Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
OAV or OVA?
Posted: 14 December 2007 02:22 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2002-09-05

For those of you old-school anime fans (and by old-school, I mean by the early ‘90s), these two terms were thrown around back then to denote anime made for the video market (as opposed to stuff originally released in theaters or TV).

It always bugged me that they were either called OAVs or OVAs… and I don’t recall there ever being an “official” name between the two (I guess it depended on the company marketing them).

So - two questions:

What name did you prefer - OAV or OVA?

And, does anyone know if OAVs/OVAs are still being produced?  Most of the anime I’ve seen recently appear to have been made for the TV market or were movie releases.  (Although, the quality of the animation is superb, depending on what you watch.)

Signature 

Steve Rogers: “Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?”
Tony Stark: “Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.”
- THE AVENGERS

Posted: 14 December 2007 04:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1735
Joined  2005-12-22

There are OVAs being produced, but the majority of OVAs are sidestories to popular series these days, such as the Sealed Sword Frenzy OVA for Bleach, Macross Plus/Macross Zero for Macross, the numerous sidestories of Gundam are OVAs. However, all of the OVAs aren’t original animation, but direct to video miniseries.

The term OAV isn’t used anymore in Japan, possibly due to OAV sounding too similar to AV (Adult Video)

Signature 

2nd Lieutenant Taki Kinryu, UES Roy Fokker, Phoenix Squadron Leader.
Founding member, and Admiral of DDH

Posted: 15 December 2007 02:29 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2001-01-30

I always used the term OVA myself.

Signature 

“There is no beauty in the flower that is not shared.”
- Myself

MEMBER #3 OF THE KARAOKE MAFIA

Posted: 15 December 2007 05:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2001-02-16

In Japan the term was officially OAV until they realized it was too close to AV or “Adult Video” so they changed it to OVA. People who say OAV are probably older and have been using that term for a long time.

Signature 

—== Ginrai =============————-
——- Destroy All Podcasts DX——
http://www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com

Posted: 18 December 2007 09:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2003-09-01

Now it all makes sense. I remember seeing the 2 terms thrown around when I was younger, but recently I had only seen OVA. I thought maybe I had imagined OAV also being used. It’s good to know.

Posted: 29 November 2021 08:58 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2021-11-29

I also used an HP Deskjet from the 90s on my Windows XP machine for years with no problems. It started showing signs of its age recently and I can buy best essay service and I was going to buy a new printer anyway, but stumbled on one of these very inexpensive refurbished units (Model F4280) at work.