Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Come on folks…Max Wasn’t That Great.
Posted: 20 February 2001 01:14 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2001-02-16

He has a kinda magic about his character…that is he’s in sharp contrast to the typical fighter jock we’ve been exposed to “Top Gun”, “best of the best” that kinda thing.  Max is almost a pacifist…fighting only to survive.  As for the glasses.  If it was a perfect world then no Max wouldn’t have been alowed to fly but you have to remember he was on Macross Island when the SDF-1 folded and a they needed pilots badly…so they overlooked certain shortcomings. 

Posted: 20 February 2001 01:16 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  386
Joined  2001-02-20

Well…nobody is perfect, and neither is Max. He does get shot down once, in the Zentreadi Rebellion. (Good Book, along with the End of the circle)  But he is max, and he does play an important role in the story. Without him and Miriya you wound’t have Dana..and without Dana you wouldn’t have the 15th..and without the 15th the masters would’ve gotten the protoculte matrix..and who know’s what they would’ve done to earth?  it would’ve been a mess!
  And well..the Cartoon (anime, whichever you want to call it) doesn’t do him justice…the books bring him into play more, and give him the fine tuning that he didn’t get in the show.

Posted: 20 February 2001 03:44 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2001-02-17

He has a lot of charater</U>, not much drama.

Examples:  The easy going way he has with just about everyone who isn’t trying to prove something.
How he stuck by Miriya and acted and preached tolerance of zentraedi in the southlands during the zentraedi rebellion when Leonard and what became the southern cross army were trying to eliminating them.

Signature 

GRYDR-1 “The Graveyarders”
Graveyarder Roster in Profile

Posted: 20 February 2001 09:10 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2001-02-16

The main reason Max doesn’t stick out like Rick or Khyron or Lisa is because he isn’t supposed to.  He is the supporting actor, there to be Rick’s foil and go-to man when things get rough.  They focus a couple of episodes on him just for variety’s sake, but the series is really all about Rick.

It’s like if they tried extending Macross Plus into a longer series, and had an episode about the blonde girl who Isamu first hooks up with (sorry, forgot her name).  We wouldn’t care, we’d just want to get back to our test pilots and Myung.

But, why does Max stick out where so many other supporting characters are forgotten or killed off (Ben!!!!)?  Because we could relate to him.  For every shy, humble, gawky kid who watched the series, there was somebody like us who still made one hell of a difference.  That’s why Max was so loved.

As for being Dana’s father, well….we all make mistakes.

Signature 

Thanks, everybody.  It’s been fun.

Posted: 20 February 2001 10:46 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2001-02-16

Max is a great character, but he was not the main character in the Macross Saga.  If you want to see some great character developement on Max, read The Zentreadi Rebellion.  This really gets into Max’s character and you can see more of his personality shine through. 

I agree that they should have made more out of his character, but there is only so much they can do with a story that is really about someone and something else.  What made Max great was that he was the best there was and he was totally humble about it.  He wasn’t cocky, nor arrogant like many people become when their skills are far superior to other’s.  He was a great friend and the kind of guy that you would want watching your back if you had to go to war.  He was also totally openminded about things, as is evident with him marrying Miriya (first bonding b/n a Zentreadi and human).  If this is a flat character, then I think we need more flat characters like him!

Posted: 20 February 2001 11:26 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2001-01-30

Max is the best character. Maybe not the main character in the series, but then maybe he should’ve been? He’s smart, mild, a great pilot, and he could’ve been played a lot differently without changing much if someone wanted to make the series all about him instead of focus on Rick and his dramatic problems.
Max has a lot of character. I don’t think that you can say that he has no character development and say that he’s flat without actually having in your mind ahead of time that he is not someone you’re going to like.
If you actually give him a chance to be a good character, then I think you’ll find that he has a lot of characteristics you may have missed with your attitude against him.

Signature 

72nd Airwing, Dragon Squadron
Major J. “Sparks” Burnett
Dragon XO

Visit the home of the Dragon Squadron:
http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/72ndairwingdragonsquadron/index.html

Dragon Motto
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

AIM: JBTrekkie

Posted: 20 February 2001 12:07 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2001-02-16

Plus I answered you in the other forum. But what ppl say here is true. He’s a supporting, not a lead character. But from what you can see, a lot is hinted at. He’s a humble, nice softspoken guy. You gotta like that in an elite fighter pilot. I mean, he is actually able to put up with Ben! (Even Rick wants to punch Ben in the mouth sometimes!) Plus, if you like romance, you just gotta like the whole Mirya story. Anyway…

Signature 

-Max
Sci-Fi Producer, Voice Actor
http://www.alteredspiritsfilm.com

Creator of The Robotech Freespace 2 MOD

Posted: 20 February 2001 04:25 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2001-02-16

The only thing that truly annoys me about Max is his boy scout code.  The man can be too nice.  Granted, as some have said, that’s what made him likeable to so many people.  Far too many characters that are “the best” are arrogant.

Defending Miriya and the malcontents did seem to rile him a bit, which added some dimensions to his character.

In a lot of ways Rick as a fighter pilot was defined by the book-end caricatures of Max and Ben.  We have skilled but modest.  Unskilled and immodest.  Rick of course as the most complex character embodies all of these traits, but to lesser degrees.

Signature 

The only thing that’s new is you, finding out about it.

Posted: 20 February 2001 05:52 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2001-02-16

I must agree with all of the Max Sterling fans out there.  I think he is an excellent character.  He is far from being flat, in my opinion.  Not to insult any Rick Hunter fans out there, but his ‘back and forth’ attitude between Lisa and Minmei got to be a bit boring.  Rick had a tendency to complain a bit too much.  Max is a solid character who, despite taking on the challenge of taking an alien wife, didn’t complain about it.  He dealt with his challenges like a true soldier should.  I think Max and Miriya were two of the most complex and intriguing characters Robotech produced. His skill as a solier is unsurpassed.

Posted: 20 February 2001 07:14 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2001-02-15

Isn’t it funny how 90% of the people that have come to defend Max have him as their icon?

Posted: 20 February 2001 09:54 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2001-02-16

If Max is your favorite character you would:

#1 - make him your icon

#2 - post into threads that have Max’s name

Easy.

Signature 

-Max
Sci-Fi Producer, Voice Actor
http://www.alteredspiritsfilm.com

Creator of The Robotech Freespace 2 MOD

Posted: 20 February 2001 10:04 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2001-02-16

Max was second best…
Roy’s #1….
You all know its true…
Just ask anybody….Maybe we should have Steve take a poll on this….
Who is the best pilot in Robotech….
What do you guys think????
Think they will do a poll on this one???

Signature 

Terrorism is a act of cowardice…Let us all pray this is not a taste of what is in store for the future…God help us all.

Posted: 20 February 2001 10:05 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2001-02-16

The poll would have to include non-humans as well….....

Signature 

Terrorism is a act of cowardice…Let us all pray this is not a taste of what is in store for the future…God help us all.

Posted: 21 February 2001 12:09 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2001-02-16

Roy - dead, Ben - dead, Minmei - braindead, and how many times did little ricky go into the drink. Max is a certified flying GOD.  He can afford to be nice because if anybody crosses him he knows he can take care business.

Signature 

STUPIDITY SHOULD BE PAINFUL.

Posted: 21 February 2001 03:21 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2001-02-16

Hey, “Big Brother” was good, but he was no Max Sterling.  I’d have to put him as the second best pilot, but if you count aliens, Miriya will have to push him down to third.

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3