Password   forgot password?
 1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Come on folks…Max Wasn’t That Great.
Posted: 19 February 2001 03:42 PM  
Corporal
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2001-02-16

Am I the only one here that doesn’t like Max that much? I mean he is a GREAT pilot…don’t get me wrong…but the guy didn’t have that much depth to him like the other characters. He was SO boring to watch. A great character has to have flaws that are noticable. They rarely if at all showed flaws of Max. This is why Isamu (from Macross Plus) and Khyron are my favorites. They had what it took to be the absolute best but there was always something to hinder their true abilities. =^_^=

Signature 

Life Doesn’t Have To Be Perfect To Be Wonderful
———————————————————————-
Escape the Ordinary - - - Be Part of TRN
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/therobotechnetwork

Posted: 19 February 2001 03:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2001-02-17

MAXIMILLIAN STERLING is the best in every way

compared to him everyone except miriya SUCKED

Posted: 19 February 2001 03:59 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2001-02-16

You should really check out end of the circle. They delve a lot deeper into Max and you understand why he’s so quiet. He’s seen a lot of battle and death and he’s triumphed over it all. He was great and he did have his flaws when he was thinking about mirya, he couldn’t focus on anything else. He may not have been the best character (all around I’d give it to Wolf or Scott…talk about some issues) but don’t just dismiss him as flat. Sometimes in the lack of complexity that pulls people in to take a closer look. That’s when you really see the character.

Signature 

Aspiring for greatness.

Posted: 19 February 2001 04:08 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2001-02-16

and I still believe Max is unimpressive as a character. I can’t see why everyone is nuts about him. All he is a character that is near impossible to beat in battle. He gets boring…does anyone else feel the same way? =^_^=

Signature 

Life Doesn’t Have To Be Perfect To Be Wonderful
———————————————————————-
Escape the Ordinary - - - Be Part of TRN
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/therobotechnetwork

Posted: 19 February 2001 05:32 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2001-02-17

He was a regular joe that turned out to be a better pilot than even he thought he could be. No other character was quite like him.

Signature 

“I don’t want it, i just need, to breath, to feel, to know i’m alive.”  -Tool"Obviously Hitler never played RISK as a kid” -Eddie Izzard

Posted: 19 February 2001 06:04 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2001-02-16

i don´t really know much about the complet circle…. about Max, their ability for the dogfight are really the best indeed, but other characters have more personality, i think unless your better judgment Rick, Lisa and Britai are better than max… I´m in agree with >Invid Master

Signature 

.... “May God lead all the Robotech warriors to the victory” ....

Posted: 19 February 2001 06:16 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2001-02-16

Hye dont get me wrong. I dont like Max to much. Just that he is dipicted as the ultimate. The fact he can somehow shoot 30 billion missles, and hit 60 Billion targets makes him a bad ass. I think he is rather boring as a character. Not till the books does he have anything to him as a human being. So ya, dont get me wrong he is boring. But, he somehow is the ultimate pilot.

Posted: 19 February 2001 06:24 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2001-02-16

but were are these statistics, i mean which part let to know thant amount of missiles???? :o

Signature 

.... “May God lead all the Robotech warriors to the victory” ....

Posted: 19 February 2001 07:07 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2001-02-18

If you get a hold of the subtitled Macross from Animeigo this summer you should discover as I did that there is a lot of characterisation dropped from the Robotech version of Macross. Max has more personality in the original, and it gets built on further in Macross 7.

Signature 

Even now, in Heaven, there are angels carrying savage weapons…“Do I hear the sound of butting in? It’s gotta be little Lisa Simpson… Springfield’s answer to a question no one asked!”
- Ned Flanders

Posted: 19 February 2001 07:16 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2001-02-16

I admit, he is lame in the series.  THe books do flesh him otu a lot more.  Why I like him:
1) Clear headed, he usually know whats going on around him, unless some peeps (rick!)
2) when he tried to not kill the zent battlepod (cause miriya asked him not to)
3) he looks cool!

Signature 

Rats line On nO evil staR

Posted: 19 February 2001 08:23 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2001-02-19

Well i almost agree with all. Max is somewhat boring but only because he isn’t the “star” of the show. Who know’s what Max was up to while we were watching Rick’s love drama unfold. Obviously Max accomplished something before Rick did.

Posted: 19 February 2001 10:23 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2001-02-15

MAX HAS GLASSES!!!! In real life, if you do not have perfect vision you do not fly in the armed forces, thats it, no questions. How many other pilots in the series do you see that have glasses? NONE. They let max fly because his abilities outway the fact that he has less than perfect vision.

Posted: 19 February 2001 10:45 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2001-02-16

well…Max is, like someone said, this regular joe. As for him being a flat character, he can’t be this big guy cause he’s already got one outstanding character trait. Obviously, thats his obsenely good skill with a vf.  I dont think many people would like to see this perfect guy being focused on alot. I dunno. If you think about it, he’s fits well into being the character to give a little positive influence. I am rambling badly, so i will end with this: if max was ever to die, it would be a bit of a shock, wouldnt it?

[aka, if you thought he was flat, and then cared in any sort of way that he died, then he wasnt really a flat character afterall…]

Signature 

Yeah, and then I saw King Hippo get up…
———————————————————
Name: Jane Giovanni // Callsign: No Angel
Squad: Armadillo   // Mecha: REF Gladiator #02
[MBR-07 Mk lll]

Posted: 19 February 2001 11:20 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  377
Joined  2001-01-30

.. i must admit, much of my love of Max stems from the fact that i was awed by him when i first watched the show (back when i was like 9 smile

I can remember actually wanting to grow up to bel like him:  Max was the best of the best, but he was modest about it..

I don’t think i’d go so far as to say he has no character..

I guess i like him now because he’s got a bit of a quirky personality..

He’s quiet, unassuming, and yet he can kick your tail like no one has ever kicked it before..

Another example of his quirkiness is how he fell in love with Miriya:  The woman was trying to KILL Max,  going at him with a knife and all, and next thing… **SMOOCH**  Will you marry me?

See, to me, that’s a neat character..  He was unpredictable..

And this unpredictability is what made him “The Ace of Aces”, i think..

Signature 

“They’re coming to get you, Barbara…”

Posted: 20 February 2001 12:50 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2001-02-16

Max’s best aspect was that he wasn’t conceited. Fighter pilots are damn cocky. They’ve got their own fighters, and if you don’t then you’re just not in the ‘cool’ club. Max wasn’t like that. Mas was an Ace, probably one of the better pilots in any Macross related series, but he was far from best character in my honest opinion.
(_8(|)  <—Just ‘cause I was bored.

Signature 

-Me and a couple friends of mine are engineering majors. We’re gonna build a Yf-19 if it kills us.

Posted: 20 February 2001 12:51 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2001-02-16

I wouldnt care if he died…...

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3