Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Sentinels Destroids, Possible reality, or lost to “canonnality”
Posted: 09 September 2007 09:07 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11032
Joined  2003-04-09

well, what do you think? DO the Sentinels Destroids, the R.E.F. versions of the M.A>C., Excaliber, Spartan., The ground vehicles, and the Zentraedi REF battlepods actually exist, or are they all deleted due to the Sentinels being abandones?

Signature 

Dark Fin “Sprinkler of Fixins”“"Freedom of speech doesn’t protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate.”“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Posted: 09 September 2007 11:06 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-09-01

From your topic it sounds like you are asking if it is a possible reality to build the mecha in the Robotech shows, answer is yes we have some of the technology to build them, but we do not have a proper power saurce that would power it properly and for an extended period of time.

Your actual post states that your wondering if they have already been made, as toys the answer is yes, as anything to think of as real and usable no. But there are some rumors that Veritech type vehicles are being developed under strict security in area 51, though any footage of testing has been easily found and deleted. From what little of it i have seen they resemble the alphas in guardian mode. No word on battloid mode.

Word, searching this kind of stuff finds you a LOT of photoshop the toy into the photo type images so~ good luck hunting on it.

Posted: 09 September 2007 11:20 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-04-09

If you read the Sentinels comic books, or had the Sentinels RPG book or Field guides, you would see that along with the Alpha and Cyclones, the R.E.F. updated most of the mecha used by the RDF.

There were smaller but more powerful versions of the Excaliber, Spartan, RaiderX, M.A.C., and the Gladiator Destroids, as well as more user friendly REF style Zentraedi Battlepods (complete with arms and hands) and even a Mecha Horce and grav chariot, and a HUGE ground mecha transport with a large transformable cannon as a main weapon called the GMU. Not to mention some Sentienls alien vehicles such as the perytonian air speeder.

ALL this mecha, along with the Invid Regent’s Inorganics mecha, and forces. were “erased’ from continuality when the Sentinels storyline was de-canonized (hence you see all these mecha were moved to the aprocyphil section in the Unofficial Robotech Reference Guide website See link: http://www.robotechreferenceguide.com/

I was asking if these mecha still exist in the robotech universe now that the Shadow Chronicles is out (and the Hadyonites turned out to be the Children of the Shadow)?

Signature 

Dark Fin “Sprinkler of Fixins”“"Freedom of speech doesn’t protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate.”“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Posted: 10 September 2007 09:11 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-09-01

Ok then you should have stated that you were coming from the RPG books/comics. Without describing the entirity of your thaughts you can not expect people to give you the kind of response you want. I have the Sentinals RPG book, but I have yet to go through it right now. So I can’t give an answer.

Posted: 10 September 2007 04:42 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2001-03-10

off a cliff, chasing after a watermelon

Signature 

“The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.”
    - Niels Bohr

Posted: 10 September 2007 07:09 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2001-02-15

I was asking if these mecha still exist in the robotech universe now that the Shadow Chronicles is out (and the Hadyonites turned out to be the Children of the Shadow)?

There is no reason why the REF versions of the Destroids wouldn’t exist, whatever they declare if Sentinels actually happened or not. Don’t you think if they spent all that time redesigning new veritechs (alpha, beta, logan, hovertanks) that they wouldn’t make a suitable ground force as well? It just makes sense that they would upgrade the ground forces as well.

Look at the GMU in the Sentinels, I have no doubt that should still be around as well.

Signature 

“It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me. “

Posted: 12 September 2007 03:52 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-03-10

its probable that the REF maintained some form of destroid after the macross saga.  probably an updated version of the macross destroids for awhile, and then some replacement.  after all, the SC had destriods and that was some 15 years after macross. but, by the time shadows is around, we dont see any destriods, on earth, on lunar base, in space ships, or on space station liberty.  they’re are probably and extinct breed of mecha, replaced by alphas and betas.

Also, im not so sure that the destriods from the sentinals rpg are what they would be.  they didnt have the same feel as macross or new gen craft. or sc for that matter.  and the battle pods with arms were bigger than alphas, they were more than likely zent mecha to begin with, just with some updates.

Signature 

“The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.”
    - Niels Bohr

Posted: 12 September 2007 09:53 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2003-04-09

Also, im not so sure that the destriods from the sentinals rpg are what they would be. they didnt have the same feel as macross or new gen craft. or sc for that matter.

I think they were interim designs, or front line prototypes. Remember in the sentinels Leonard complained that all the newer technology developed was going on the pioneer mission. so it could be that the R.E.F. monopolized these designs, while the A.S.C. used different designs.

as for the Battlepods, they were designed for the full sized Zentraedi, as also the original mission anticipated encountering more Zentraedi. (probably the reason why the REF and ASC in the initial encounters were somewhat Ill equipped to deal with Tyrolian battle strategies and technology)

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2007 07:18 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1066
Joined  2001-02-16

Those designs have never been decanonized.  I don’t know who gave you that idea.  As of today, those designs are completely accurate as there is nothing in the original TV series or anywhere else that contradicts their existence.

Sentinels itself happened as a story in its broad strokes if not the little details.

Should we see something else entirely depicted in say Shadow Rising… then we can say they don’t exist.

Signature 

“Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.”

“Do not take life too seriously; you will never get out of it alive.”

- Elbert Hubbard

Posted: 18 September 2007 03:25 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

The Sentinels Destroids designs are fine on their own.

The reason we never seen ‘em, probably because UEEF is heavy with both Space Navy (Spacy / Fleet) & Marine Corp elements. The Destroids would served with the Army, which would not seen much action in Earth Reclaimation Mission.

During 2020-2044, these destroids designs will be slowly phased out with the New Gen Destroids as evident from MOSPEADA pre-production designs (the Condor & Tiger destroids being the example).

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 18 September 2007 04:53 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-03-10

the REF invaded a planet riff with invid and renegade ref and used only alphas, cyclones, and a jeep. no destriods anywhere, even tho they had large transports delivering them to the planet.

In macross, we saw several examples of destroids defending bases.  In southern cross we saw several examples of destroids defending bases.  In mospeada, there was one flashback that had a still of something that looked like a destroid, even tho it has since been retconned into a veritech. In prelude, we saw some ref version of the bioroid piloted by bretie, (to his death which sucked and was needless).  In shadows, nothing, on ships, gaurding the lunar basses, or at space station liberty. nothing, not even in mothballs.  we know they had them at some point cause we’ve seen them in macross and sc, but by shadows they are extinct, gone, just like the dodo.

Signature 

- Niels Bohr

Posted: 18 September 2007 11:25 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1767
Joined  2001-01-30

the REF invaded a planet riff with invid and renegade ref and used only alphas, cyclones, and a jeep. no destriods anywhere, even tho they had large transports delivering them to the planet.

REF would’ve been heavy with elements from Spacy (Fleet) & Marine Corp. This means, limited action from its Army counterpart, which presumably heavy with Destroid complement.

In case of Earth Reclaimation Mission & previous Sentinel campaign, only Alpha & Cyclone units play pivotal part, not Destroid. Given Invid ‘close-quarter’ combat style, thus Destroid are likely never being used in any offensive capacity, perhaps serving only in defensive nature in guarding bases & humanity colonies in deep space.

Signature 

Forever shall I be loyal to you, my love, my Queen…Mother of the Invid race, Regis.We shall rise like a fiery phoenix, together we will rewrite the history of space and time…Forever. [attributed to Zor]

ROBOTECH SITES ARCHIVE (WEBSITES / MESSAGE BOARDS / RPGS / FANFICS / OSM)

Posted: 01 October 2007 08:05 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2007-06-29

Well everybody,truth be told to scrap the destroids would be idiotic.A battle in any environ calls for some very “unique equipment”.I feel if Rick and crew needed a high powered mecha and were pinned down I’d say a Garudan or Praxian piloted Excaliber of sentinels timetable may surface indeed,maybe even juiced up with a bit of shadow tech ,hey who can say.

Well in close troops I think the veritechs,destroids,powerarmor,cyclones are all alive and well,as to what we’ll see it depends on what HG and they boys have cooked up.Regards troops

RESCUE-1

PS:
I am a big fan of all things ROBOTECH,especially THE SENTINELS & THE SHADOW CHRONICLES,shoot the further adventures of ADMRL.Rick Hunter & crew are something I’d pay top dollar to see.Also a team up of Max,Miriya, and Maia would be awesome to,throw in a more mature/adult version of Dana Sterling and the 15th and we will be ready for some serious stuff.

Signature 

RESCUE-1 has returned,as has the dreaded VF-72nd “HIGHLANDERS” RESCUE SQDRN. Immortales Animus curro solvo Get out of my skies scumbag!! The skies like our world belong to us !!

Posted: 03 October 2007 04:19 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2001-03-10

thus Destroid are likely never being used in any offensive capacity, perhaps serving only in defensive nature in guarding bases & humanity colonies in deep space.

In prelude we saw a base at tirol and a space station (probably liberty), in mospeada we saw luna base and another space station (liberty again, i cant remember), we’ve also see several large vessels, and in those instances we’ve never seen any destriods even tho in macross and southern cross, we saw destroids outside gaurding bases just like the ones in mospeada and prelude and in shadows, and we seen destroids on ships for close in support in macross and maybe southern cross but never in mospeada, prelude, or shadows. 

At this point, it is far more likely that destroids are as common as blimps are today, than to assume that since we saw them at one point in the series, they’re still around more than a decade later without any visual evidence.

We have seen a huge volume of alphas present during various battles in mospeada, more veritechs than at any other point in the series, so its really not that hard to believe that they focused heavily on the production of alphas, to the exclusion of other mechas, leading to a dearth of destroids.

Signature 

- Niels Bohr