Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
The Sentinels featured characters from Robotech, why can’t Shadow Chronicles?
Posted: 20 February 2006 03:07 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

So, they’re just changing the voices

Right. As you recall, Melenie McQueen did all three(Lisa Hayes, human/dead Marlene, Invid living Ariel/Marlene). 

Now, Melenie McQueen is only going to do the voice of dead/human Marlene and Lisa Hayes.

Invid Ariel/Marlene is being voiced by someone else. Forgot who at the moment.

Darkwater! Bring back your site!!!  ;_;

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 20 February 2006 03:34 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1735
Joined  2005-12-22

Anime fans would recognize her voice in Samurai Champloo as Fuu. I looked it up on IMDB.

Signature 

2nd Lieutenant Taki Kinryu, UES Roy Fokker, Phoenix Squadron Leader.
Founding member, and Admiral of DDH

Posted: 20 February 2006 03:44 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2005-03-14

Thanks for the info!  B-)

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

Posted: 20 February 2006 03:47 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2005-12-22

Thanks for the info as well. But, I wonder if, from the way this thread was started, that means that Ariel, Scott, and Louie (there have been a few changes, but nothing as drastic as Rick’s) aren’t anyone’s favorite characters.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 04:02 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2005-03-14

I wonder if, from the way this thread was started, that means that Ariel, Scott, and Louie (there have been a few changes, but nothing as drastic as Rick’s) aren’t anyone’s favorite characters.

Again, I don’t think they were altered as bad as Rick, Lisa and Minmei because they’re not as popular in Japan. Macross is a hot franchise in Japan and that’s what makes the difference. At least I think that is the situation. Who knows for sure???

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 07:21 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

For example, the Prelude comic had to establish that Rick now has gray hair and a stupid-looking scar on his face, so he would look nothing like Hikaru in TSC.

The Prelude comic didn’t even give us a good face shot of Minmei.

The main TSC cast doesn’t include any of our favorite characters from Robotech. Speculation says that HG had to develop new characters because legal issues forbade them from using original characters, despite the fact that most fans want to see original cast members.

I know there were issues regarding the original Macross character and mecha designs, which is why they were so different in the Sentinels animation that was completed. I don’t think there is any problem using designs from the other two shows.

Is it me, or does the Sentinels feature Rick Hunter already look a lot like Captain Harlock? Now they’re adding the face scar too wink

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 20 February 2006 07:24 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-16

Again, I don’t think they were altered as bad as Rick, Lisa and Minmei because they’re not as popular in Japan. Macross is a hot franchise in Japan and that’s what makes the difference. At least I think that is the situation. Who knows for sure???

Yes, as one of the Robotech Art books stated, Macross was a huge hit in Japan, and so the animators had to deliberately keep the Macross characters and mecha in Sentinels from being recognizable. (That explains why, say, Breetai looks so ridiculous.) There was no such problem with the other two series, which is why we see plenty of Invid and Alpha fighters throughout.

I don’t have a problem not seeing all the old characters b/c it seems that HG is trying to do something new that can stand on its own. Then again, Scott and Ariel are among my favorite characters, so I’m probably not the one to comment on that. wink

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 20 February 2006 07:35 AM   [ # 23 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2004-01-30

So what the fudge happened to Lisa, then?  Forget Rick, she was at least as much of a keystone character in the series as he was.  Is he with Minmei now or what?  (Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense.)

Amen and hallelujah to the original statement of this thread, which is that, screw the legal problems, we’re the fans and we want to see more of our favorite characters!  Of course, that’s IF HG can keep from mutilating and senselessly killing or writing out many of the best ones… which, of course, they couldn’t.  Kill Breetai and get rid of Lisa, but keep that bland flyboy Hunter alive?  Yes, it appears they’re listening to the fans, but not ALL of them—just a select few.

Fine then, those fans can have it.  I’m beginning to feel sickened to even call this Robotech.

ALTHOUGH…... doesn’t it seem odd to anyone that people keep mentioning “pure” Robotech?  Robotech is in itself a mongrel breed, formed of diverse backgrounds that add to its hardiness but subtract some of its consistency.  It can’t really claim to be “pure” anything, so what’s with all the blue-blooded snootiness I hear from Robotech fans?  Be proud of your mongrel roots, not ashamed of them.  We Americans are mongrels, too, come to think of it.

Signature 

RT.COM FREAK
Supremely Cool RT.com Girl
ACE Public Relations Officer
Current de facto leader of the DOGS (Defenders of Gloval)
Barking mad

Posted: 20 February 2006 09:03 AM   [ # 24 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-16

So what the fudge happened to Lisa, then? Forget Rick, she was at least as much of a keystone character in the series as he was. Is he with Minmei now or what?

The thing about Sentinels being de-canonized is that there hasn’t been that drastic a difference in the continuity, at least as far as PTTSC goes. The basic events are still pretty similar. So until an alternate explanation is given, I don’t see the problem in at least accepting the basic facts of the Sentinels mission as having “happened.”

It’s anyone’s guess at this point really as far as which old characters will turn up in TSC, except of course for Scott, Ariel, Louie, and the Regis. My guess is that we will probably see a Rick cameo, but little else as far as the older characters go. I could be totally off base here, but from what’s been seen so far, it doesn’t look like the SDF-3 crew will be getting much screen time.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 10:39 AM   [ # 25 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2005-03-14

doesn’t it seem odd to anyone that people keep mentioning “pure” Robotech? Robotech is in itself a mongrel breed, formed of diverse backgrounds that add to its hardiness but subtract some of its consistency. It can’t really claim to be “pure” anything, so what’s with all the blue-blooded snootiness I hear from Robotech fans? Be proud of your mongrel roots, not ashamed of them. We Americans are mongrels, too, come to think of it

Huh??  @_@

zent, I think you’re reading WAAAAY too much into what I said. Don’t you want to see Robotech become it’s own entity??? What’s wrong with it having it’s own original designs??? What I’m talking about has nothing to do with racial insecurity and everything to do with an anime being independent of other anime’s designs!!!  It would be nice if Robotech was known for it’s own awesome, iconic contributions to the anime world instead of “that show that stole from three different anime”. Again, what’s so wrong with that???? 

zent you do have a great sense of humor and are generally fun to have around but…..“It can’t really claim to be “pure” anything, so what’s with all the blue-blooded snootiness I hear from Robotech fans”....Geeze!!!  -_-

When I used the word “pure” all I meant is mecha/character designs designed specifically Robotech. Not hand me downs from other anime’s. 

Don’t you want to see a cool new VT???? Something that will blow away the newer Macross stuff away!!!

I’m tired of always waiting on Macross to see new transformable fighter craft…and being disappointed. 

We’ve been looking at the same mecha desings for 20 yrs now. I think some new ones are in order.

I remember one time somone at this forum speculated how and if one of the Gundam series could be incorperated into Robotech. Then, some anime “purists” was quick to post and say that is exactly why they hate Robotech.

That’s what I’m trying to avoid, zent. I don’t see anything wrong with it!!!

“Pure” ha!  I suppose I’m an anime Nazi, now???

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Why do people inject race issues into everything!! -_-

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 12:39 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Lieutenant
Joined  2005-03-14

Be proud of your mongrel roots, not ashamed of them

I’ve only just been sitting here defending Robotech’s roots for the last three days!!! Have you read the other thread? The one about “why do so many hate Robotech”? ‘
If you read my posts, you’d see that I’ve been championing the way Robotech was made. So how in the world can you say I’m “ashamed”????

I just don’t think you were reading me right, and I want to explain myself.

The combination of three shows is part of it’s brilliance and inovation, IMO.

I’m just saying that now, HG is in a perfect position to establish a modern, completely unique identity for Robotech.  It’s a great opportunity for Robotech to grow. I don’t Robotech to just keep rehashing 20 yr old mecha/character designs.

Now, having said that, I for one am completely looking forward to The Shadow Chronicles. Being a fan of New Generation, this is awesome for me!  smile
I’ve always love the Alpha/Beta weapons system.

I just think they could design new things eventually. Hopefully in the immediate follow up to TSC.

We know that the new threat will “push the REF’s use of Shadow Technology to the limit”.  I can imagine the REF will have to eventually design a new VT out of necessity!! It would make sense story wise. Anyway, at least I hope so.

get rid of Lisa, but keep that bland flyboy Hunter alive? Yes, it appears they’re listening to the fans, but not ALL of them—just a select few.

Fine then, those fans can have it. I’m beginning to feel sickened to even call this Robotech.

Wow.  Well, if it makes you feel any better, read my earlier posts again. I’ve got it straight from the voice actress herself. LISA WILL BE BACK. You got to figure, TSC has got to set up the stage. Also bear in mind that HG only has so much time and money to do things. They knew that no matter how much they tried to include, someone would be upset because their favorite character would be left out. Not just Lisa but Dana, Rand, Max…and so on. I doubt they can make all those characters fit into a 90 minute long story without them being contrived, token cameo’s. 

I think they just want to get the ball rolling with TSC, then I think we’ll get to see ALL favorites again!!! :D

As for the look of Rick and Lisa, I’m sorry but I simply don’t think it’s necessary to have them look exactly the way they did in the Macross Saga.  I actually dig the new looks. Sure they look different, but that’s not necessarily bad.  And I’ve already explained why I think it’s a rather positive progression. 

I think things are cool.  B-)

Oh well, to each his own.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 12:57 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2005-12-22

I remember one time somone at this forum speculated how and if one of the Gundam series could be incorperated into Robotech. Then, some anime “purists” was quick to post and say that is exactly why they hate Robotech.

Oh god NO! The only Gundam series that could be incorporated into Robotech would be Zeta Gundam, and ZZ Gundam which feature transformable Mobile Suits, however, they’d end up with a pretty bad storyline to incorporate it into Robotech, like make it the entire faction war that came before the Invid Invasion, or have it take place after The Shadow Chronicles, and claim that the remains of the Robotech Masters military came back in spaceships that resemble flying cans.

Kill Breetai and get rid of Lisa, but keep that bland flyboy Hunter alive?

I think that Breetai’s death was in the Sentinels’ outline, since the novels, and now the comics have his death in them. For the Shadow Chronicles, Rick Hunter had to be in it, because it focuses on finding him, and the SDF-3, it was just one of the big mysteries of the original Robotech series.

ALTHOUGH…... doesn’t it seem odd to anyone that people keep mentioning “pure” Robotech? Robotech is in itself a mongrel breed, formed of diverse backgrounds that add to its hardiness but subtract some of its consistency. It can’t really claim to be “pure” anything, so what’s with all the blue-blooded snootiness I hear from Robotech fans? Be proud of your mongrel roots, not ashamed of them. We Americans are mongrels, too, come to think of it.

Well, a few years back, I came across a webpage for Robotech “purists”, which pretty much means they only go by the series, rather than the many comics, and novels of the time, but I thought it was pretty stupid because the RPG was made to create a game for Robotech fans, rather than add on to the series, and the novels were based on the series (though, if Leonard really was that much of a xenophobe, then Dana wouldn’t have been able to join the ASC), and the End of the Circle based on what could have been. But, these were made for our enjoyment, rather than to be any major addition to the series.

So what the fudge happened to Lisa, then? Forget Rick, she was at least as much of a keystone character in the series as he was. Is he with Minmei now or what? (Yeah, THAT makes a lot of sense.)

I think that since she’s now an ambassador (Yeah, that really makes sense, since in the Macross saga she was generally all-military bred) Lisa’s redesign wasn’t that bad…in fact she probably looks better now. But seeing how it’s been mentioned that she’ll be in the possible follow-up series (Yeah, that means that you have to buy The Shadow Chronicles DVD to get the new series), it could look like we’ll see many of the original characters, and perhaps even Jack Baker, and Karen Penn again.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:04 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-16

Something to keep in mind that is a major difference between Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles is that Sentinels was (to have been) released on the heels of the original series. Had it come out when it was supposed to, it would’ve been the following year after the original. The intention of it was to provide more product to fans already familliar with the original, building on what was a very recent story.

And while that is to some extent also true of TSC, in contrast Shadow Chronicles is being made for longtime fans AND new fans alike. Since 20 years has passed, the approach is obviously going to be completely different. In order to attract new viewers, the idea of having a more self-contained story makes sense. It would just be far too much to try and reintroduce all the major characters of the original series in a feature-length story at this point, so better to go for something fresh and only include previous characters necessary the story being told.

In addition, if TSC eventually becomes a series, that would be the more likely place for HG to reintroduce the older characters, when they will have more time to develop the character relationships.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 03:59 PM   [ # 29 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-02-10

what characters will be in shadow chronicles?

Posted: 20 February 2006 04:53 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2004-01-30

Hermann, you were actually reading too much into what I said.  I didn’t mean you, it’s just your comment reminded me of an attitude I’ve heard all too often on this site.  (There’re Macross purists, too, of course, so don’t get your panties in a knot.)  The rest was intended as more of a joke than a complaint, though I guess it got mixed in with the character rant, that was hard to make out.  Anyhoo, sorry but I didn’t mean it that way.

Signature 

RT.COM FREAK
Supremely Cool RT.com Girl
ACE Public Relations Officer
Current de facto leader of the DOGS (Defenders of Gloval)
Barking mad

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3