Password   forgot password?
 1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5
Which modern day fighter would you take into a fight againt a veritech
Posted: 18 February 2006 01:06 PM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2003-02-11

If I had to I would choose a F-14 for it’s ulta long stand off capabilities.  The Pheonix missle system would give the best chance for survival. Of course the veritech would always win, but just wondered which other planes people would press there luck with and why.

Signature 

-85ER-

Skull Squadron

Posted: 18 February 2006 01:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  3575
Joined  2001-02-18

The Pheonix missle system would give the best chance for survival.

AIM-54 Phoenix is a missile optimised to take out relatively unmanouverable bombers at long range. I’ts capability against manouvering fighters is suspect to say the least.

Note for example that Phoenix has been phased out of service and been replaced with AIM-120 AMRAAM, which has a far better Pk against evading fighters ... and a fraction of AIM-54’s range.

The fighter that can shoot down a VT is the one that the VT doesn’t notice until it launches at least and preferably not until the shot hits.

Posted: 18 February 2006 03:51 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2004-12-25

...... an F-15E Strike Eagle. Sad, I love the Falcon , but I need more missiles!!!!!

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dacschund Squadron Leader (Weinnie One)
“D.O.L.—The hizzeat on repeat!”

Leader of “Disciples Of the Mother (Sammie) And Daughter (Annie)” = D.O.M.A.D.

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 18 February 2006 03:54 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2004-12-25

....... A Sopwith , or a Jenny with one or two Sidewinders. Too slow to be seen as a combat aircraft, might not really get noticed, fire off both them issiles once I get a lock, and bail out (of my now structurally comprised plane)... Randy Quiad eat yer’ heart out!!!!!

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 18 February 2006 04:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2001-02-15

I’d use Airwolf.  That chopper could shoot down anything.  smile

Posted: 18 February 2006 05:15 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  3179
Joined  2004-07-31

How about a Warthog??  I’m just thinkin’ outside the box.

Signature 

Want to know more about Robotech toys?  Visit:
http://www.anymoon.com/
If a particular toy isn’t up yet, check back weekly, it’s going to take a long time to get everything up.

Posted: 18 February 2006 05:18 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1735
Joined  2005-12-22

Perhaps an F-22. One of the most advanced fighters of the modern designs, and probably the closest to bringing down a veritech. I would say F-14, but after seeing how easily a Variable Fighter took down three of them, I highly doubt that they would last a long time.

Signature 

2nd Lieutenant Taki Kinryu, UES Roy Fokker, Phoenix Squadron Leader.
Founding member, and Admiral of DDH

Posted: 18 February 2006 05:42 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2005-02-02

From the 80’s T.V. show.

Has the Gattling gun of a Warthog, and it’s a chopper, so it’s a lot more maneuverable. 

Hiding behind City Sky Scrapers, dooing hit and run attacks.

Probably would get killed eventually, but we’re fantasising here, right? B-)

Signature 

Destiny comes to those who listen, and Fate finds the rest…..

Posted: 18 February 2006 08:46 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Lt Commander
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2001-01-30

I disagree Pieter.  AIM-54 has demonstrated the ability to kill a 9-G target on multiple occasions with meaneuvers in excess of 30 Gs.

AMRAAM is more of a replacement for AIM-7 “Sparrow” (which sucked) than for AIM-54.  AIM-54 fell victim to a mission that no longer exists and to the fact that no other fighter can carry it.

AMRAAM is an wesome missile at least potentially.  The jury is still out.

That being said I would NEVER take a conventional fighter against a Valk.  If the Valk got into a close-in fight you would die VERY fast.

However…  My order of preference:

SU-37
SU-27
F-22

The ability to fly in the post-stall region is probably your only hope for a snapshot on a Valk in close.  You can’t outturn him, accelerate him, or run.  If he gets inside your missile envelope and you don’t kill him you are more than likely dead meat.

The Stealth aspects of the F-22 could provide an element of surprise as well, but it can’t maneuver likr the Sukhois can.

Signature 

Skull Leader  
  **erj140 at gmail.com**
http://www.robotech-aod.com

Posted: 18 February 2006 09:17 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2004-12-25

........is totally ground support (we grunts loved thosed guys). If you needed to fire on an enemy aircraft with one, something has gone very, very wrong. 

Skull , what target manuevers at 30 g’s?? Even for a second???Not that Im a missile expert or anything, but I dont think Ive ever heard of a weapon system that can manuever at 30 g’s to hit a target. The Phoenix is nice, but I doubt its THAT nice.

The reason why not other fighter carried it was that it was go danged expencive. An F-15 , if they want to couldve been made to carry the electroics suites neccesary to use it and its tracking capability. The ability to knock down an aircraft at 105 nm is an awesome possibilty. Imagine a B-52 retoed’ to carry a bunch of them!! Who needs a veritech to fire 50 missiles a time!!!!!!! 

I dont think the Valk was tremendously fast, I think they peaked out at F-15 speeds, Mach 2.5 or the where abouts ( I dont know ow they escpaed into Earth orbit). And in fighter mode were they really that maneuverable? They were an overly stable design aerodynamically, unlike say , the F-16 which used its more or less instabilty to turn better (makes no sence, but its true). The Valks claim to fame is its flexability to fight in more than one terrain well. Im not saying it was a pig, but as opposed to a design thats only purpose is to engage other interceptors , it might have had some problems. In missile world if youre being chased by a missile youre in real trouble, no matter how good a turner you are. Those missiles the Valk carried probably didnt have half the damage yeild as , say an AMRAM. But now , Im getting WAY too technical…..

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 18 February 2006 11:46 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1233
Joined  2004-09-09

I’d say the F-22 Raptor. It’s a stealth fighter, and also pretty quick and nimble. As of right now it’s the most advanced fighter jet to date.
:judge:  :judge:  :judge:

Signature 

Don’t steal, the government hates competition.

http://www.myspace.com/wijangco

http://www.r34racer01.deviantart.com

Posted: 18 February 2006 11:49 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Lt Commander
Joined  2001-01-30

The target pulled 9 Gs to avoid the AIM-54.  The 54 pulled 30 Gs nd scored.  It is extremely difficult to evade a missile of any kind.  “The best way to defeat a missile is before it leaves the rail.”

the Phoenix ws designed to protect the Battle Group before an enemy could fire cruise missiles at it.  Due to the finite resources on a ship the ability to have a long-range missile was more important to the fleet defense role than to anything the F-15 does.

The F-15 doesn’t carry Phoenix because the F-15 doesn’t NEED it.  Never did.  Never will.

The Valk is superior by far to anything that exists today because:

- It has a Mach 4 + capability.

- It has a thrust to weight ratio of nearly 4:1

- It has unlimited (nearly) thrust vectoring capability.

- It has unlimited range in atmosphere

- It can shoot an enemy from any angle at any angle to any angle.

In short, it can sustain energy indefinitely…gain it quickly…dump it quickly…  Point its weapons anywhere in the sky at a moment’s notice…  It can turn you into the ground… Run you out of gas…  Hose you from stem to stern…  Dash away from your missiles after you fire them from extreme range (and extend far enough fast enough)to the point they will run out of gas before they run you down… 

The thing is a monster.

Signature 

Skull Leader  
  **erj140 at gmail.com**

Posted: 18 February 2006 11:59 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lt Commander
Joined  2001-01-30

You’ve never seen the Su-37 airshow have you?  That thing can do things that would make a Raptor pilot’s eyes water.

The stealth features are a plus but it is not “super-maneuverable” like that Sukhoi.

The Valk may be stable but there are some very incredibly stable airplanes that maneuver in ways that would also water your eyes—and do so WITHOUT computer/fly-by-wire control systems.

Signature 

Skull Leader  
  **erj140 at gmail.com**

Posted: 19 February 2006 12:03 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2004-12-25

I dont think the Valks ran off of Protoculture.. I think it still used fuel. I think the Alphas and Betas were the first VT’s to use protocultre. So it doesnt have unlimited range. It would be a great machine, but I think your drooling too much at it…...not to put it or you down or anything….

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 19 February 2006 12:13 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Lt Commander
Joined  2001-01-30

The engines are fusion reactors…  With a reactor driving the fan and heating the air it doesn’t need fuel/reaction mass in an atmosphere.  The air does the work.

I am drooling over the Valk because the thing is incredible.

Find the Su-37 air show video and triple it: that’s the Valk!

Signature 

Skull Leader  
  **erj140 at gmail.com**

Posted: 19 February 2006 12:28 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Lt Commander
Joined  2001-01-30

The reactor does the work I mean.  Air is the reaction mass for a fusion turbine…

Signature 

Skull Leader  
  **erj140 at gmail.com**

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 5