Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2
2 of 2
Alpha/Beta super-battloid?
Posted: 19 February 2006 11:58 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1735
Joined  2005-12-22

Just to make things a bit more amusing if we’re discussing canon as what we’ve seen in the series, it means no sabers for Lancer. He never once extended his blades in the series.

Which also means that the Saber Cyclone is non-canon. But, if you count out the guns, the entire concept seems feasible considering that two Alphas can link up, and fire their missiles, as well as seeing how an Alpha in Battloid mode can still connect with the Beta. Besides, who says that the Alpha and Beta can’t connect like that?

Signature 

2nd Lieutenant Taki Kinryu, UES Roy Fokker, Phoenix Squadron Leader.
Founding member, and Admiral of DDH

Posted: 20 February 2006 12:31 AM   [ # 17 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

I still have my flyer for Robocon10. This pic was on it. Cool artwork.

If they were to both go to battloid mode while still linked, wouldn’t that be very akward??? I mean, it just doesn’t seem like the combination Alpha/Beta super battloid would be very mobile. But then again, maybe if it’s done only in space where there’s no density it could work???

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 20 February 2006 12:36 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2001-02-16

If they were to both go to battloid mode while still linked, wouldn’t that be very akward??? I mean, it just doesn’t seem like the combination Alpha/Beta super battloid would be very mobile. But then again, maybe if it’s done only in space where there’s no density it could work???

Hmm, maybe they would join like that to conserve fuel, yet still be able to fight like a Battloid. D:

Signature 

Bringing a friendly voice to Robotech.com since 2001.
THE founding member of Minmei Forever (MF) (est. June 12, 2006)
Robotech.com record holder for having the most locked threads.
Member of the 242nd - Robotech’s Peoples’ Party

Posted: 20 February 2006 01:31 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2005-12-22

Well, it could end up being like the Super Veritech where it can only be used in space due to the weight, we have seen the Alpha/Beta linkup in the series while in Fighter mode, but I doubt that we’ll see a linkup where the Alpha is in Battloid mode, and the Beta in fighter mode in the atmosphere due to the weight. Also it would be unfeasible, because it’d be dragging the Alpha down rather than give it more mobility due to gravity.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 01:44 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

Also it would be unfeasible, because it’d be dragging the Alpha down rather than give it more mobility due to gravity.

Yeah.  When I think of the Alpha and Beta linking while in battloid, I imagine the result would be a multi-limbed monstrosity that would prove too cumbersome, clumsy and be a sitting target.

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:03 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2005-12-22

Yeah. When I think of the Alpha and Beta linking while in battloid, I imagine the result would be a multi-limbed monstrosity that would prove too cumbersome, clumsy and be a sitting target.

One that’d get two pilots killed.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 01:08 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

I really can’t see why the Alpha wouldn’t be able to trasnform to Battloid while docked to a Gaurdian Beta.

If I remember correctly the first thing Scott and his squadron did in the firs episode was transform their alpha’s into battloid mode while they were connected to the betas.  The connection extended @_@ so that the alpha could transform and then retracted again. 

I don’t know that they would want to do it in the heat of battle as it might be too much stress for the connection, but they definately can do it!

As for the usefulness of the design I’d say it depends on what kind of strategies you could use it for, for instance if they developed advanced autopilot software so the beta could fight along side you and support you as well as link up etc etc.  I think they had these in the RPGs but I don’t ever remember seeing them used as such in the show.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 20 February 2006 01:49 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

All I can say is that pic is COOOL!!!

And then Scott, and Rand form Voltron.

And I’ll form the head! smile

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 20 February 2006 07:49 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2004-12-25

.......... Understand on why they made the Beta fighter able to be seperate , send a whole bunch of them out with Alphas , empty to not be able to use them effectively in combat. I figure the Alpha pilot worries about the flyin’ , and the Beta pilot worries about the shootin’.

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dacschund Squadron Leader (Weinnie One)
“D.O.L.—The hizzeat on repeat!”

Leader of “Disciples Of the Mother (Sammie) And Daughter (Annie)” = D.O.M.A.D.

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 21 February 2006 08:15 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1404
Joined  2001-02-16

The Alpha/Beta super battloid would be awesome to see in battle. D:

Signature 

Bringing a friendly voice to Robotech.com since 2001.
THE founding member of Minmei Forever (MF) (est. June 12, 2006)
Robotech.com record holder for having the most locked threads.
Member of the 242nd - Robotech’s Peoples’ Party

Posted: 21 February 2006 09:01 PM   [ # 26 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2005-12-22

And I’ll form the head!

Heh, somone finally got the joke. But with only three people, what kind of Voltron does it form?

.......... Understand on why they made the Beta fighter able to be seperate , send a whole bunch of them out with Alphas , empty to not be able to use them effectively in combat. I figure the Alpha pilot worries about the flyin’ , and the Beta pilot worries about the shootin’.

I don’t know if there were pilots in the Betas when they were first shown, if there was, would Scott have abandoned the Beta connected to the Alpha so easily?

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2006 07:43 AM   [ # 27 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

Heh, somone finally got the joke. But with only three people, what kind of Voltron does it form?

You may not recall this from the mid-80’s, but there actually WAS a three-person Voltron! It was called “Voltron II - defender of the middle universe.” That’s the one from the toyline that never made it to a t.v. series. Can’t recall the name of the original series they took it from, but it appeared as a toy and in some of World Events Productions’ promo to t.v. when Voltron debuted.

All I really remember about it was that when you went to the toystore looking for Voltron, they’d always be out of the black lion (from the lion Voltron) and the air team (from the vehicle Voltron). But darn if they didn’t always have all three of the Voltron II toys!

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 22 February 2006 05:30 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2004-12-25

“Whamtron” in a seperate thread, but I got it…..

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dacschund Squadron Leader (Weinnie One)
“D.O.L.—The hizzeat on repeat!”

Leader of “Disciples Of the Mother (Sammie) And Daughter (Annie)” = D.O.M.A.D.

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

< 1 2
2 of 2