Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
Robotech II The Sentinels….will it ever be completed?
Posted: 16 February 2006 10:24 PM  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2001-06-19

I’ve been a fan of the series 4 a long time, and I’m glad there picking up where Scott Bernard is leaving earth..But what ever happend to the Sentinels. I know when it was together they ran into money problems between the american dollar and japanese yen. but now Robotech is just as big as it was 20 years ago. I want to see results not promises. They need to finish that piece of that timeline to continue the epic. Carl Macek needs to get on the ball. With all the anime that’s out there with his name on production credits..Robotech is his Swan Song..anything else doesn’t matter.

Posted: 17 February 2006 02:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2001-02-15

If they ever do it, they need to reimagine it from the ground up.  I find 80% of the ideas that Carl Macek introduced into SENTINELS embarrassing.

Posted: 17 February 2006 04:26 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  1733
Joined  2001-04-17

He did bring us Robotech and I wish they would redo and finish the Sentinels

Signature 

Shadow Squad 279 Commanding Officer

It has ended! Is it really over Optimus? I mean have we seen the end of this war, forever? Who can say Spike! Is anything in this vast universe truly forever!

Optimus Prime and Spike

Posted: 17 February 2006 04:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2005-08-30

If they ever do it, they need to reimagine it from the ground up. I find 80% of the ideas that Carl Macek introduced into SENTINELS embarrassing.

I also would have liked to see the Sentinels reworked, and this time retaining Tatsunoko studio. (Impossible, I’m sure, due to all the conflicts that arose between HG and their counterpart in Japan.) Not to put anyone down, but I did not like the American artwork as much, by comparison. :|

Although I didn’t mind most of the ideas used—I thought Breetai rushing in and scooping up Lisa & Miriya was pretty cool, for example….
wink

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 17 February 2006 06:23 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2001-02-16

ProtoAddict, Tatsunoko DID work on the Sentinels. All of the art and completed animation and such was done by Tatsunoko.

Signature 

—== Ginrai =============————-
——- Destroy All Podcasts DX——
http://www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com

Posted: 18 February 2006 12:39 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43404
Joined  2001-02-16

HG is presently focused on the Shadow Chronicles.

Even if (and I strongly mean if) HG was going to rekindle the Sentinels project, it would have to be completely re-worked to fit with the Shadow Chronicles.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 18 February 2006 12:52 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  43404
Joined  2001-02-16

The Prelude comics gave a glimpse of what a re-worked Sentinels might be like.

Signature 

You’re never too old to be a fan of Robotech

DOL member

Marshal of the Dark Fin
Wielder of the Tuna Of Infinite Fury

Darkness 24

Supporter of the RMC

Posted: 18 February 2006 02:40 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15

When the first SHADOW CHRONICLES material began showing up at the Cons last year, I was really excited because it looked like the current Harmony Gold crew was abandoning all that SENTINELS nonsense that Carl Macek, the Jack McKinney novels, the RPGs, and the late 80s/early 90s comics had developed.  I thought that they were taking ROBOTECH back to its roots…an original story woven from the animation of MACROSS, SOUTHERN CROSS, and MOSPEADA. 

But seeing so much of THE SENTINELS brought back in PRELUDE TO THE SHADOW CHRONICLES disheartened me. 

I like ROBOTECH best when it stays close to its roots:  futuristic war drama about humanity’s struggle in a high-tech war against humanoid extraterrestrials (yes, even the Invid eventually became humanoids although they didn’t start off that way).  In my view, ROBOTECH should *not* try to be STAR TREK (with its “strange new worlds and civilizations”) or STAR WARS (mystical elements).  Not that these things can’t be interesting in their own right, but they’re a mismatch in the ROBOTECH universe based on the flavor of the original 85 episodes.  I think many of the concepts introduced in THE SENTINELS got far, far away from what made ROBOTECH appealing and unique in the first place.

So if it’s going to be done, it needs to be completely redone from scratch.  Toss out the big teddy bears, the fox people, the crystal beings, the planet of Amazons, etc., and get back to the spirit of the Original 85 Episodes.

Posted: 18 February 2006 07:14 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2005-12-31

carl macek is the reason you have robotech man. he is ‘the roots’. so watch who you’re trashing.
furthermore, i’d like to know why you dislike the sentinels so much more than anyone else. true enough, there are plenty that would rather leave out the sentinels, but this is over a couple of elements in the story that in their opinion weakened the material.
how you can dislike an upcoming series simply because they have not decanonized something created by the original organizer of robotech and the novels inspired as a result is simply childish to me. if you dislike the sentinels, don’t read the books ever again and watch what you do like.

Posted: 18 February 2006 10:10 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2006-01-04

I ordered the protoculture version, and I saw the sentinels for the fisrt time, but it never got to the aliens called the sentinels, I need to know more…

Posted: 18 February 2006 10:27 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15

carl macek is the reason you have robotech man. he is ‘the roots’. so watch who you’re trashing.
furthermore, i’d like to know why you dislike the sentinels so much more than anyone else. true enough, there are plenty that would rather leave out the sentinels, but this is over a couple of elements in the story that in their opinion weakened the material.
how you can dislike an upcoming series simply because they have not decanonized something created by the original organizer of robotech and the novels inspired as a result is simply childish to me. if you dislike the sentinels, don’t read the books ever again and watch what you do like.

I admire what Carl Macek did with the original ROBOTECH.  His ideas for THE SENTINELS, however, got so far away from the original concept that it wasn’t easy to relate it to the original series.  With no continuity to the original series, as a stand-alone work, the SENTINELS might have been OK (although I don’t think I would’ve liked it even then), but its concepts fit the ROBOTECH universe about as much as VOLTRON’s mythos does. 

Posted: 18 February 2006 10:35 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

I agree with the opinions expressed here regarding the Sentinels. The series would have gotten too far away from the original appeal of Robotech. Apparently, while the series was being made the popularity of transformable toy was going down. So they decided to nix many of those ideas and focus more on aliens and strange powers. Bad idea!!!

That said, this is still a gaping hole in the Robotech universe 20 years later, and it desperately needs to be filled. Our only real hope is that TSC will do well, and eventually they’ll decide to fill that hole with something spectacular.

Until then, I guess we’ll all just have to wonder…

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 18 February 2006 06:16 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2001-02-17

In the Robotech Art Book 3, they talk about how the studio they worked with in Japan changed all the characters just enough, so they can release the Sentinels in Japan and not have it mistaken for Macross.  I wonder if a Japanese version of the Sentinels was ever fully produced.

Aside from that, the book series was great.  I think it is the closest thing we will ever get to the Sentinels.

Posted: 18 February 2006 10:21 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Master Sergeant
Joined  2001-02-15

That said, this is still a gaping hole in the Robotech universe 20 years later, and it desperately needs to be filled.

Indeed.  I’m quite eager to see/hear the tale of the Robotech Expeditionary Force’s years in space…just not in the way it was presented in THE SENTINELS.

Posted: 18 February 2006 10:39 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2005-12-17

I heard that any future production of the Robotech cartoons was just a rumor and that it will never materialise.

When I was told that back in 1994 I nearly killed the person that told me, its now 2006 mad .

Signature 

Hijo del Trauco, pero Yo no hablo Espanol. :(

You can find me on facebook. Automatic friend request acceptance to all robotech.com members!