Create an Account

email Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?
What’s in a name?
Posted: 13 February 2006 09:55 AM  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11313
Joined  2003-09-16

(So, how well do the names of various Robotech characters describe them?  Let’s look it up, and decide how well each character embodies their name.  With the help of http://www.thinkbabynames.com)

Rick (Hunter) = It is of English origin. Short form of Richard and Frederick.  (Since the wedding invitation in The Sentinels read “Richard” we’ll go with that.)  It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is “powerful leader.” (So, Rick = Powerful Leader.  Everyone in New Generation seemed to idolize him.)

Roy (Fokker) = It is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is “red.” As a short form of names like Leroy, Roy is also a form of the Old French term “roi”, meaning “king.” (Hmm, Roy = King.  Well he was the “king” or leader of the SDF-1’s pilots.)

Henry (Gloval) = It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is “estate ruler.” (Well, he DID command the SDF-1.)

Max (Sterling) =  Short form of Maximilian, Maximo, or Maxwell. (Since Miriya, the computer, and narrator called him Maximilian, let’s go with that.)  Of Latin origin, and its meaning is “greatest.”  (Surely the greatest pilot the RDF has ever known.)

Ben (Dixon) = It is of English and Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “son.”  (I don’t know what to say for this one.)

(Lynn) Kyle = It is of Gaelic origin, and its meaning is “narrow, straight.”  (Well, he WAS narrow minded.)

Lisa (Hayes) = It is of English origin. Short form of Elisabeth (Hebrew) “God’s promise.”

Claudia (Grant) = It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is “lame.” (Definately off the mark here.)

Kim (Young) = It is of English and Vietnamese origin, and its meaning is “precious metal, gold.”

Sammie (Porter) = Sammie is related to Samantha and Sami. (Let’s go with Samantha.)  It is of English origin. Feminine form of Samuel (Hebrew) “God heard.” Also contains the Greek -antha which means “flower.”

Vanessa (Leeds) = It is of English origin. An early-18th-century literary name created by Jonathan Swift for “Gulliver’s Travels.” Also the name of a genus of butterflies that includes the Red Admiral and the Painted Lady. (Not much luck here.)

Miriya (Parino) = (Closest match = Mireya) = Of Spanish and Latin origin, and its meaning is “admired.” Variant of Miranda.

Emil (Lang) = It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is “eager.”

Anatole (Leonard) = Of Greek origin, and its meaning is “break of day.”

Dana (Sterling) = It is of Old English origin, and its meaning is “from Denmark.”

Angelo (Dante) = Related to Agnolo, Angel, DeAngelo and Michelangelo.

Bowie (Grant) = Of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is “blond.”  (Could we be any further off the mark?)

Louie (Nichols) = It is of French and Old German origin, and its meaning is “famous warrior.” (On a sidenote, isn’t it odd that this character has a major part in the new movie, but lacks an entry on this site’s character profiles?)

Sean (Phillips) = It is of Irish origin. Variant of John (Hebrew) “God is gracious”, from the French Jean.

Marie (Crystal) = Variant of Mary (Latin) “star of the sea.”

Nova (Satori) = It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is “new.” Astronomy: a nova is a star that releases a tremendous burst of energy, becoming temporarily extraordinarily bright. Chevrolet used to make a small car called a “Nova.” Novia is also Spanish for “girlfriend.”

Rolf (Emerson) = Variant of Rudolph (Old German) “famous wolf.”

Scott (Bernard) = It is of Old English origin, and its meaning is “from Scotland, a Scotsman.”

William (Lunk Benovitch) = It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is “determined protector.”  (Yeah, perfect for the guy who ran away.)

Rand = Of Old German origin, and its meaning is “shield.” The name also developed from an Old English word for a river bank.

Lance (Belmont) = It is of French origin. From Lanzo (Old German) “land”; nickname of Lancelot. Not related to the medieval jousting weapon. Lantz is a Yiddish name meaning “lancet.”

Annie (LaBelle) = Related to Ann and Hannah. (Let’s go with Ann.)  It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “favored grace.”

Ariel (Marlene) = It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “God’s lioness.”  (Well, she was the chosen one of her mother’s.)

Sera = Related to Sarah.  It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “princess.” (She WAS the princess of the Invid.)

Jonathan (Wolfe) = It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “gift of God.”

(Well, that’s it.  Is there anyone that I forgot?)

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 13 February 2006 01:42 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2005-08-30

Wow, cool, Blaq… although I have to think, maybe in Robotech the *last* names could be even more significant, when it comes to a few of the characters.

Here are a few of my interpretations:

Rick Hunter - “Hunter” says it all—searching, learning by doing, becoming active in the big scheme of things, and ultimately succeeding in just about all he sets out to accomplish. Rick the hunter meets his quarry head-on—after at first “hunting” for his self-confidence and strength.

Lisa Hayes - Aristocratic, high-born, dignified, perfectly befitting the classiest lady in all of RT. She shares the last name of a U.S. President (Rutherford B.) and a famous actress from early Hollywood (Helen Hayes). Possibly related to both? For the record, President Hayes was a commanding officer for the Union in the Civil War, so HG could have added 50 years to the original “100-year military tradition” of Lisa’s backstory, if they really wanted to….

Roy Fokker - Same as the marque of the famous (German? Dutch?) aircraft maker, and just as capable and enduring a pilot. Roy’s last name perfectly and intentionally fits the bill.

Max Sterling - A pilot with a “sterling” record and reputation—spotless and perfect, basically untouchable. In short, a great last name for Max. Although although all that talent initially makes him a bit of a wallflower, it sets him up for landing Miriya, the ultimate amazon warrior-princess of the Zentraedi, as his bride and war prize!

Leonard vs. Emerson - I quote from behindthename.com: “‘Leonard’ means ‘brave lion’, derived from the Germanic element leon ‘lion’ combined with hard ‘brave, hardy’.” So Leonard’s name clearly delineates his role as the hard-assed, take-no-prisoners general who will drive his army into certain death if it means any kind of victory. His rival is General Emerson, whose name is the same last name of Ralph Waldo Emerson, the 19th-century American transcendentalist poet and pacifist writer. R. W. Emerson championed nonviolence, anti-authoritarianism and independent thought, and once went to jail (or so I remember reading) for his political beliefs. The parallels for these two are obvious.

Nova Satori - Strange choice for a last name. As far as I know “Satori” is basically Japanese for “epiphany,” roughly translated to “a kick in the eye” for a person receiving cosmic vision and insight all at once. Since Nova is the seeing-eye Big Brother snoop of the ASC, her last name is an interesting perversion of the concept….

Scott Bernard - I enjoy the far-fetched notion of twisting the spelling of Scott’s last name and associating him with Barnard’s Star—the second-nearest star to the Sun after Alpha Centauri. It’s a faint, forlorn red dwarf that is wandering across the night sky rapidly in relation to all the other visible stars. It, like Scott, is on an eternal quest.

Jonathan Wolfe - An outcast, traitorous and tragic, he preys on the loyalty of his men, selling them out to the Invid for a few cannisters of protoculture fuel. He is literally a lone wolf.

I have no idea who at or with HG chose the “American” names for RT from the original Japanese Macross/SC/Mospeada productions. So, I have no idea of how much thought was put into the significance of the characters’ last names, but obviously there are many good ones.

Bowie (Grant) = Of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is “blond.” (Could we be any further off the mark?)

...What about the obvious association most people will make, to David Bowie? Musical, sensitive, tormented, obsessed with ideal beauty (embodied in his paramour Musica) and, like Bowie Grant himself, perhaps a little androgynous and given to deep emotion rather than warlike action?

Annie (LaBelle) = Related to Ann and Hannah. (Let’s go with Ann.) It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “favored grace.”

...Did you or anyone else catch that she’s an orphan? “Little orphan Annie,” get it? Right down to the red hair. All she needs is blank eyeballs! :rofl:

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 13 February 2006 10:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2004-12-25

.....Ariel had a real meaning…......

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dacschund Squadron Leader (Weinnie One)
“D.O.L.—The hizzeat on repeat!”

Leader of “Disciples Of the Mother (Sammie) And Daughter (Annie)” = D.O.M.A.D.

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 13 February 2006 11:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2005-10-13

Definately an informative post…. Kepp working on it!  wink

Signature 

Dukal E
Cpl
ARMD
REF
Armd Sqn

Posted: 14 February 2006 12:36 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2006-01-21

I always thought of a bowie knife. I never saw the obvious tie in to David Bowie with Bowie Grant. Thanks Proto. :D

Posted: 14 February 2006 11:31 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2005-08-30

I always thought of a bowie knife. I never saw the obvious tie in to David Bowie with Bowie Grant. Thanks Proto.

Ye’re welcome!

Heh…whenever I watch Masters I half expect Bowie to break into “Lady Stardust” on piano….
:rofl:

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 15 February 2006 12:28 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2005-12-30

Excelent thread.
Congratulations to both BlaqChaos and ProtoAddict.

Posted: 15 February 2006 05:41 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Joined  2005-08-30

Aww, gee. Thanks, Gloom.

(See, every once in a while I mix too much caffeine with my protoculture and this is what happens.)
@_@  :D

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 15 February 2006 06:01 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2001-02-26

Ben (Dixon) = It is of English and Hebrew origin, and its meaning is “son.” (I don’t know what to say for this one.)

Since, Ben Dixon was a subbordinate of Rick Hunter, you can (sorta) see a father (rick), son (Ben) relationship.

my $.02 :p

Signature 

“My dad was right. I shoulda’ve been a CPA.”- Minmei’s Manager"The heck with the calories, I think I’ll have another one.” -Dana Sterling

PROTO COLA-Choice Of The Robotech Generation

Robotech Marine Corps

MIG: Zentraedi Trooper 008

Posted: 15 February 2006 09:36 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2004-11-25

That was deep, BlaqChaos and ProtoAddict. I’m going to paste your postings to a Word document so I can contemplate them more.

FANTASTIC!!! :101:

Signature 

On the cutting edge of imagination.“I know my spirit will live in your mind. We’re still as one, yes, I know until the end of space and time - we three. Our spirit as one…”
- Octavia"Scott who?” - Col. Johnathan Wolfe

Posted: 15 February 2006 10:51 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

Since you brought it up, Nova also means “No go” in Spanish (which is why the Chevy Nova didn’t do well in Mexico :101: ) and can be applied to her situation with Komodo :rofl:

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 16 February 2006 07:33 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  11313
Joined  2003-09-16

There’s still a few names I need to look into (Jean Grant, Vince Grant, Jack Baker, Karen Penn, etc.)

Signature 

“Nothing’s difficult, everything’s a challenge.  Through adversity to the stars. To the last plane, to the last bullet to the last men to the last minute, we fight!  We fight!!  We fight!!! WE FIGHT!!  WE FIGHT!!!”

Posted: 16 February 2006 08:05 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2002-10-05

Interesting info, but the derivation of Scott is Gaelic not Old English.  It means hearty and brave.  It goes all the way back to an alleged Egyptian princess that sailed to the British Isles.  Her name was Scoti and that later became the name of her descendants.  The Scots as a people then arrived in Scotland (Alba) from Ireland in the 5th Century.  Later the name Scot(t) became a common way of refering to those north of England.

Signature 

Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Plato

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:18 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2004-11-25

Ariel is also a moon of Uranus.

Signature 

On the cutting edge of imagination.“I know my spirit will live in your mind. We’re still as one, yes, I know until the end of space and time - we three. Our spirit as one…”
- Octavia"Scott who?” - Col. Johnathan Wolfe

Posted: 23 February 2006 03:34 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Private
Total Posts:  183
Joined  2005-12-30

Ok, here’s my contribution for this thread:
Miriya’s name comes from the Greek word that means ten thousand. Taking in consideration that she was the Zent ace, the meaning of her name is obvious.

Posted: 23 February 2006 03:37 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  19930
Joined  2004-01-13

Ariel is also a moon of Uranus.

Isn’t that called a butt cheak? ^_^

Signature 

SCRT.com Girl’s Club:
I   am…“PEACHES!!”

MM Triumvirate!!

That Guy…of the Dark Fin.

Official RT.Com BOBA FETT