1 2 > 
1 of 2
First impression of the intro
Posted: 12 February 2006 04:15 AM  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2002-06-25

It was 20 years ago today…

Okay, maybe it wasn’t 20 years ago exactly, but I needed a musical intro that didn’t involve that futuristic Mariah Carey clone known as Minmei.

Anyway, I remember seeing the entire intro to Robotech and wondering who many of the people featured were.  Since the next 2 generations were weeks away I had no idea who many of the featured characters were.  I wondered who the blonde afro girl was who was flying around.  I also wondered who the permed purple-haired WOMAN was who flew by her.  I had no clue who the people were who were staring off into space for no particular reason.  I did like the music though.

Oh, and I wondered why they were showing cool motorcycles even though they never used them… and why was the flying afro girl shooting at the screen?

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 12 February 2006 04:55 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2002-07-24

I always wondered what that crazy horse type thing was Dana was sitting on in the intro. Think it took me ten years to realize it was a hoverbike. lol

Posted: 12 February 2006 10:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  1587
Joined  2004-12-25

where were the F-14 looking planes in the show. I started watching it when Emerson was in the task force and folded to Masters attack group into nothing, and up to New Generation. Never got to see the “Macross Saga” untill like two years later…

Signature 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dacschund Squadron Leader (Weinnie One)
“D.O.L.—The hizzeat on repeat!”

Leader of “Disciples Of the Mother (Sammie) And Daughter (Annie)” = D.O.M.A.D.

I
WANT
MY
BETA!!!!!!!

Posted: 12 February 2006 09:34 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2005-10-13

When I was a kid I only saw the Macross saga… so the intro was more of a teaser than anything…. I figured the series would explain those images later… Howerver, it took me many years before Robotech again grabbed my attention.  I’ll tell you it was cool to finally id everything, but equally disappointing to lose track of my Macross characters I so loved.

Signature 

Dukal E
Cpl
ARMD
REF
Armd Sqn

Posted: 14 February 2006 01:53 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-06-25

When the intro showed Zor Prime flying around for no reason did anyone but me originally think it was a woman?

Signature 

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 14 February 2006 02:54 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2005-08-30

When the intro showed Zor Prime flying around for no reason did anyone but me originally think it was a woman?

*I* could tell it was a guy (barely)... but I actually was really disappointed that that sequence of Zor and Dana flying around never shows up in the series at all!
-_-
Would that scene have been in the context of “Dana in Wonderland,” anybody know?

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 14 February 2006 03:21 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

but I actually was really disappointed that that sequence of Zor and Dana flying around never shows up in the series at all!

Remember, the intro was made up from cuts of the opening intro’s to the original three shows.  So, that sequence of Zor and Dana floating around was from the opening title sequence of SDC: Southern Cross.

So it never takes place in any of the actual episodes of SDC: Southern Cross either.

Incidently, that ripped film strip we see at the begining of all Robotech episodes was from SDC: Southern Cross as well. It appears only once in the first episode during the opening narration that explains the basic premis of the show!!!

Funny how the supposedly least favorite portion of Robotech actually contributed so much to entire saga!

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 15 February 2006 12:13 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  797
Joined  2005-08-30

Hermann2:

So it never takes place in any of the actual episodes of SDC: Southern Cross either.

Oh, so it was never really meant to be part of the actual episode, just window dressing for the title sequence? Capisce. Thanks….
smile

Signature 

“Sunsets?!?”
-Rick Hunter

Posted: 15 February 2006 12:28 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2001-02-15

When the intro showed Zor Prime flying around for no reason did anyone but me originally think it was a woman

Yes.  Unaware of ROBOTECH’s origins at the time, I thought (for some reason) that Zor Prime was actually Miriya with darker hair.  smile

Incidently, that ripped film strip we see at the begining of all Robotech episodes was from SDC: Southern Cross as well.

I thought that that was one of the nicest touches of the intro…and was the first indication to me that ROBOTECH was different from all the other action cartoons on TV at the time.  It was being treated as a serious drama.  I originally imagined that the ripped film strip represented ROBOTECH as an extended documentary covering a futuristic war that lasted for decades, and was captured on film by wartime photojournalists such as Sue Graham from the final episodes of the series.

Of course, it was nothing of the sort, but that’s what I got out of it.  smile

Another misconception I got from the introduction is that during THE MACROSS SAGA, the VF-1 Veritech Fighters launched from the top deck of the SDF-1 (the main gun booms).  That’s the impression that the intro gave before I saw in the series that the aircraft carrier Prometheus was attached to the SDF-1 and that’s where the Veritechs launched from.

I also thought that the New Generation crew were looking up at Rick Hunter’s Veritech flying off into space (didn’t know it was the Invid Regis’ energy phoenix until “Symphony of Light”).

Posted: 15 February 2006 12:32 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Corporal
Total Posts:  1026
Joined  2001-02-16

Incidently, that ripped film strip we see at the begining of all Robotech episodes was from SDC: Southern Cross as well. It appears only once in the first episode during the opening narration that explains the basic premis of the show!!!

Yeah, I remember seeing that filmstrip in SC too. The closing animation from Robotech also has a lot of SC footage. I was always intrigued by the shot several different battloids marching together. I assume that was something that we never got to in SC since the show got cut short, either that or like you said, it was just window dressing. But some of those battloids didn’t look familiar, from what I recall.

It seems that any time they needed some “generic footage” HG always used Southern Cross (see Robotech The Movie). I guess it’s kind of flattering to the show in some ways, but also annoying in others.

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 15 February 2006 12:46 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-16

I should add that I think the title sequence was put together very seamlessly. HG did a clever job, and I never would’ve guessed that it was three separate shows if I hadn’t known better. I think it’s actually one of the best things they did on the series, actually, along with the (non-Minmei) music.

Signature 

“And you don’t perceive a provocation in the enemy’s obliteration of our first assault wave?”

Posted: 15 February 2006 03:00 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2001-02-26

For many years, when i was a kid i TOTALLY thought it was a woman flying around with Dana.

I missed the NG the first time around except some of the ending. So, when they showed the opening sequence of RT, I thought the sequence of Rand with all those cyclones riding around him, was an aged Admiral Hunter with an assuring “look” meaning that; I will be back.

Didn’t the opening sequence of Rand look a bit too mature?  To me, Rand looked a lot more cartoonish/younger in the series than in the opening sequence.

BTW, the end credits, when i was younger, i always wanted to know what city did those VFs and Battle Pods square off?

It was probably more window dressing…. -_-

Signature 

“My dad was right. I shoulda’ve been a CPA.”- Minmei’s Manager"The heck with the calories, I think I’ll have another one.” -Dana Sterling

PROTO COLA-Choice Of The Robotech Generation

Robotech Marine Corps

MIG: Zentraedi Trooper 008

Posted: 15 February 2006 07:51 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5655
Joined  2005-03-14

I was always intrigued by the shot several different battloids marching together. I assume that was something that we never got to in SC since the show got cut short, either that or like you said, it was just window dressing. But some of those battloids didn’t look familiar, from what I recall.

You know what’s interesting, is that some of the fan websites out there for the RPG contain each and everyone of those battloids!!!! Believe it or not, they all had functions in the various core’s of the Southern Cross Army!!! 

P. Thomassen, I believe took the time to show each and every one of them! Cool, eh?  B-) 
There are even still shots of them. It’s really wierd because I think that is the only time we EVER see them on screen!(in the opening credits).

i always wanted to know what city did those VFs and Battle Pods square off?

It was probably more window dressing….

Although I’ve yet to see ALL of SDF: Macross, I’m pretty sure it’s just window dressing. I mean we know Robotech’s Macross Saga and SDF: Macross is virtually the exact same animation with the exception of little cuts here and there. So that alone seems to indicate that that sequence your refering to never actualy takes place in SDF: Macross either. Besides, if you think about it logically, how/where could that battle have taken place? It looks like it’s on Earth and we know Rick didn’t get his iconic VF-1J until they were in space for a while. Unless some other pilot had one during the first raid on Macross island. But that wouldn’t make sense either sense the opening credits clearly show Rick/Hicharo being the pilot. Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

Signature 

D.O.L. TIL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!“GO IF YOU WANT, I’M STAYING HERE UNTIL THIS BATTLE IS OVER!!!”

FOUNDER OF K.I.S.S.  and chief DOLEMITE!!!

Posted: 15 February 2006 09:30 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2004-11-25

I finally finished the series (RT, that is)for the first time about ten days ago. HOORAY!!!

Please applaud. It’s been a long time coming.  ^_^
One generation, to be exact.

As I saw each saga, the corresponding parts of the opener started to make sense, but I never figured out who that other “woman” was flying past Dana.

I have always enjoyed it. I didn’t know it was an item of such intense interest.

Signature 

On the cutting edge of imagination.“I know my spirit will live in your mind. We’re still as one, yes, I know until the end of space and time - we three. Our spirit as one…”
- Octavia"Scott who?” - Col. Johnathan Wolfe

Posted: 16 February 2006 07:32 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Corporal
Joined  2001-02-16

You know what’s interesting, is that some of the fan websites out there for the RPG contain each and everyone of those battloids!!!! Believe it or not, they all had functions in the various core’s of the Southern Cross Army!!!

P. Thomassen, I believe took the time to show each and every one of them! Cool, eh? 
There are even still shots of them. It’s really wierd because I think that is the only time we EVER see them on screen!(in the opening credits).

Yeah, now that you mention it, I have the RT SC RPG book, and they do have a lot of rarely seen mecha in there. But what I meant was that we really don’t see them in the series, especially in the context of what was shown in the titles. So I was hypothesizing that maybe it was a reference to events that were never animated in the series.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:44 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Sergeant
Joined  2002-06-25

I used to wonder why during a sad moment they played the opening music at a slower tempo.  I guess they ran out of ideas or money.

Signature 

1 2 > 
1 of 2