Password   forgot password?
 < 1 2
2 of 2
RT ignored by the media?
Posted: 13 February 2006 02:25 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Banned
Total Posts:  1664
Joined  2001-02-17

You know when you see an actress on the cover of Cosmo or an actor on the cover of GQ?  It wasn’t coincidence and most likely it those magazines seeking actor out.  It was that of the publicists.

So, when you see a feature on the new Transoformers toys in Toyfare or something that like that, chances are it was the Hasbro PR Team who helped get that there.

The Thundercats DVD’s are being released by Warner Bros…. you can bet that they have a killer PR team on that.

The reality is that HG is not a major corporation, and proabbly can’t devote as many resources to publicity as the big ones can.  If Robotech were owned by one of the major studios, then things might be very different right now (or, they might have just burried the franchise altogher - who knows?)

Signature 

“Have you ever smoked Protoculture?”

Get Robotech The Movie on DVD!
http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1243421&forumid=23

Posted: 13 February 2006 04:17 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Lieutenant
Total Posts:  5932
Joined  2002-01-27

that’s why they’re allways telling us to help spread the word!

I wear my Shadow Chronicles pin every day at work (walmart), and every so often people notice it, and 99% of the time they’ve never heard of the Shadow Chronicles, so I fill them in; I met a woman just the other day who spotted the pin and was immediately interested!  She cut me off in mid sentence (I was selling a cell phone to her sister) and started grilling me about the pin and what it meant.
The mere fact that it is Robotech is enough to get people from all walks of life excited. 

I spent a good hour (on the clock) telling a customer all about it when he noticed the pin.  He was a fan back in the 80’s (he was old enough to be my dad) and the news got him totally interested again.

I think that we as fans are the ones failing here, not Harmony Gold.  All I want from them is a worthy sequal, I can handle getting the word out to the people if need be.

Signature 

D.O.L. Member
XbL: Treiz Faction
The ORIGINAL meh!!!

Posted: 13 February 2006 05:20 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Master Chief Sergeant
Total Posts:  361
Joined  2001-02-17

I know what you mean about the marketting. I think part of the problem is that we feel kind of isolated from the fans of other shows. Lets face it, Robotech is not your normal fish. I for one often talk it up as much as I can but still am cautious about broaching the subject. I often give a bit of the story line to people first before telling them it’s a cartoon if they have never heard of it.

My sister and I have been fan’s since it first came out and her friend who is twice our age likes it so I think we do not give our favorite cartoon or ourselves enough credit by speaking out.

Signature 

Life is what you choose to make it, so don’t screw it up!

Posted: 14 February 2006 01:44 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2002-06-25

Another one that really faded out was Battle of the Planets (the G Force!).  If I were to talk about it now to most people they’d give me a dumb look and think I made it up.

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:10 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Private 1st Class
Total Posts:  331
Joined  2004-11-25

It’s a never-ending trend in art. The really good projects appeal to a level of intellect and creativity that most people can’t deal with. In the 80s, most of the contemporaries of RT were pablum compared to the sophistication of RT. I remember seeing RT toy in specialty stores only - the Transformers and the GI Joe merchandise were everywhere.

RT was the art film of the mid-80s animated series. You had to have more refined taste and something Americans don’t have - PATIENCE - in order to appreciate it. Those of us who became curious over a complex story that didn’t wrap up in a “plastic, happy ending,” every episode are in the minority.

RT is too intelligent to be a pop hit. It’s always like that with art. Word of mouth among hard-core fans has kept it alive over the years. It is likely that it will continue to do so for many years to come. If if were a film, it would be shown in the art houses, while Transformers would be opening at Mann’s Chinese Theatre.

RT is high-brow, and appeals to a more select audience. TF provides the instant gratification
for the average crowd. It’s the natre of the beast. As long as there’s a thriving community of supporters to connect with, I don’t care how popular it gets - I’ll be turning people on to it whom I know can appreciate good storytelling.

If you wait for the mainstream media to appreciate   a creative project, it’s been watered down for mass-consumption, and you probably will find it lacking in depth, and artistic bite.

I wouldn’t worry about the lack of media attention RT gets. When the media latches on to it, that’s when I’ll start worrying - the front office will become more concerned with selling toys than in presenting good stories. That will be the beginning of the end for RT, just as it was for Star Trek: Voyager.

Signature 

On the cutting edge of imagination.“I know my spirit will live in your mind. We’re still as one, yes, I know until the end of space and time - we three. Our spirit as one…”
- Octavia"Scott who?” - Col. Johnathan Wolfe

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:21 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Master Sergeant
Total Posts:  1205
Joined  2001-02-15

Another one that really faded out was Battle of the Planets (the G Force!). If I were to talk about it now to most people they’d give me a dumb look and think I made it up.

BATTLE OF THE PLANETS is actually doing quite well in the anime nostalgia market these days.  A whole slew of BOP and GATCHAMAN DVDs have appeared on the market in recent years.  They wouldn’t have been made if nobody were interested in buying them.

Posted: 20 February 2006 02:30 AM   [ # 22 ]  
Sergeant
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2002-06-25

I see sequel after sequel of junk movies all the time.  Even crap like You Got Served is getting a sequel.

Anyway, I guess you’re right.  I don’t see much of Battle of the Planets from the mainstream audience anymore, but the fans must have inspired a comeback of sorts.

Signature 

Wow… this signature is from 13 years ago…

D.O.L. till the end! “Something stinks in here, and it’s NOT in the ventillation system!”

< 1 2
2 of 2